General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First trip to Sturgis, need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008 | 11:42 AM
trpagp
|
Cruiser
Default First trip to Sturgis, need some help!

After several years of wanting to go, me and some of my riding buddies are finally making the trip to Sturgis this year! I have a few questions for those of you that have been to this rally in the past.[/align]-[/align]What are the normal temps during the day and night?[/align]How often does it rain?[/align]We will be pitching tents and would like a fairly quiet campground. Which one should we stay at?[/align]Other than clothes, rain gear, leathers, some tools and camping stuff what should we be thinking about packing?[/align]Anything else we should know about the rally? Things to watch out for?[/align]-[/align]Any input would be greatly appreciated. This isnt our first road trip, this is just our first Sturgis trip. We are very excited![/align]

Old 07-21-2008 | 12:30 PM
texas tom
Tourer
Default RE: First trip to Sturgis, need some help!

Went last year only took a light windbreaker was fine,no leathers took up too much room,one of the quitest campgrounds and reasonably priced that you can go to with no reservations is the spearfish city campground,about 12 miles west of sturgis,only got rained on once last year little afternoon storm.Its not a good idea to ride late in the evening or too early in the morning,four legged creatures are a plenty,if memory serves correct last year there were only two wrecks that led to fatalities one was a flat tire biker lost control other was meeting with a moose. If you dont have a follow truck(we didnt) when you get ready to leave run down to the post office and ship everything home you dont need,my wife loaded up on souveniers went home in box,also cant remember the name of the company( should be able to google it) but they will set up a tent and campsite for you in advance,we&nbsp\\;talked to some folks that did it said they have everything you need ready and set up before you get there take it down when you leave.Wish we were going back done daytona and other rallies nothing compares have fun enjoy this wonderfull country of ours stay safe..Tom.

Old 07-21-2008 | 12:36 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

Temps in the 90's during the day dropping to the 70's . Good chance of rain in the afternoons sometimes with hail but don't let that ruin your trip. As far a campgrounds try Glenco it's a bit quieter than the Buffalo Chip.

Old 07-21-2008 | 12:39 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

If any in group is running apes make sure that they are no higher than your shoulders. $20 fine on the spot you pay the cop. There used to be a small dept store on the west side of town for things you've forgotten.

Old 07-21-2008 | 02:59 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Lots of money.

Old 07-21-2008 | 03:04 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

The trip out and back will be just like any other road trip. Be careful not to pack too much junk. Weather can be 90 - 100 in day and as low as 50 at night. Can be wet, cold, hot, dry. Plan accordingly.

Old 07-21-2008 | 03:16 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior

glencoe quiet? i dont think so!! pack for cold nites better to have it and not need it than have to buy it. as for camping be ready to break camp each day. if its left unattende it will be gone upon return

Old 07-21-2008 | 04:49 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: blueflht

as for camping be ready to break camp each day. if its left unattende it will be gone upon return
Never had a problem with people messing with my stuff.

Old 07-21-2008 | 05:16 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

You will have at least one storm blow through, probably with hail.&nbsp\\; I used to stay at Tilford Gulch on 90 between Sturgis and Rapid.&nbsp\\; They charged by the night, had clean hot showers, food on site and quiet hours started at 11.

Old 07-21-2008 | 05:29 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I carry my leather jacket and chaps with me wherever I go. I have had a front roll in around Sturgis and nearly freeze my azz off at night when caught a good distance from my final destination. I have never had anything stolen off my bike there. You will have a great experience. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: First trip to Sturgis, need some help!