General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Woes

I am new to the forums and looking for some help. Let me begin by saying, I am a beginner(at best) at motorcycle repair. Although, I do adhere, strictly, to routine and scheduled maintenance. Here is my issue:

I have a 2004 FLSTF(Fat Boy) with 1200 miles on it, bought it brand new (had 2 babies in the past 2 years so I haven't been out riding as much as I would like). Anyhow, I had my dealership put a new Vance and Hines BigShot exhaust system on the bike about a year ago. The bike was running ok but since the exhaust has been put on I have had problems with the bike stalling at at lights or if I am gliding into a stop in neutral. Every once in a while the bike will not stall while "idling" at a light but if I am not giving it some gas, it usually stalls out.

About 2 months ago I got some medium sized "ape-hangers", and new stainless steel lines put on the bike(by the dealer). I took the bike out, let it warm up for about 10 mins and was out riding. I have changed the spark plugs and it was running great for about 30 mins. After 30 mins it started to stall out again at red lights or gliding into a stop in neutral. I went to the gas station and filled up with premium gas and went on my way. It still was stalling out but now when I would start from a red light the bike started "coughing" and "bucking" in first gear. Once I get out of first gear all is fine. I love this bike and have invested some money into it. IT only has 1200 miles on it. SHould I be experiencing these nightmares? Someone, anyone...please help...

Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Harley Woes

Oddly enough a friend of mine has a 2004 Fat Boy with V&H pipes (not big shots) and he has the same problem. He has fooled with that thing time and time again and still hasn't found a fix. I hate to hear that b/c it's one of those things you really can't fix and of course the dealer can't find anything wrong either.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Paul,
Welcome to HDForums.com from Omaha, Nebraska. Hope you get your problem solved in short order. I might let the dealer put your machine on a dyno and check for possible rejetting.

Cheers,
Blackbird [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

You don't say if you have fuel injection or a carb. It sounds like your bike is running lean at idle and just need to be tuned by someone that knows what they are doing. Have a PCIII (Power Commander) or a SERT (Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner) installed and download a new map that will richen up the AFR (air fuel ratio) at idle. If you have a carb you just need a bigger idle jet. This is not a difficult fix at all and you should probably look for a different dealer to handle this problem.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:01 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

If the bike has been virtually sitting for the last 2 years, you might want to drain the gas tank and make sure there is no water, dirt or other crud in it. You could also check and make sure you have no vaccum leaks where the carb goes onto the manifold. A good carb cleaning might also be in order.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-13-2006, 01:26 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Hope you get the prob fixed, but stop coasting to lights in neutral. It is dangerous. You should alway be in gear for escape purposes.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:09 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance your bike is still under warranty ? I believe my 04 is still under the regular warranty , definately under on my extended warranty .

Good luck , Dan

Old 03-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser

I appreciate the fast replies from everyone. I called Vance and Hines they suggested to make sure that Harley used Vance and Hines recommended jet kit (DynoJet). They also suggested to see if the Harley dealer can re-jet. This is gonna cost me I'm sure. Although, I am hoping that I can strike a deal with the Harley dealership since they did the installation and re-jetting of the bike anyway.

Bike not under warranty any longer...I only got the basic warranty...learned my lesson on that one!

HD = hundreds of dollars

[&o]

Old 03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you by any chance change out the air intake when you put the pipes on? I only ask because what you describe almost sounds like the dang this is starving for air... Although it is odd that it is fine in the beginning and gets worse after a while... Something getting hot and freaking something out possibly?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser

Went_postal...I had the Harley dealership install the pipes, jet kit, and air intake. All brand new parts right from the factory. I am pulling my hair out with this. I'm taking it up to the dealership this friday to see what they can make of it. From what people are saying and from what I have been reading online...I'm leaning towards re-jetting. Seems like the most common theme among replies and data I have seen on the web. Hopefully, the dealership will be able to determine if it is something worse. A re-jet shouldn't cost too much...[X(]

Quick Reply: Harley Woes