General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Harley Woes

had the Harley dealership install the pipes, jet kit, and air intake
Then according to this, it has already been re-jetted. Just needs a good carb man to adjust it. Then dyno the thing.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend of mine with the same year of bike and the same style had the same problem and the shop was telling him it had something to do with the back pressure of the pipes and he changed baffles and the bike started run great my 2 cents

Old 03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser

Agreed, it sounds like one of a few problems, fortunately, most are not expensive to fix.

1. Drain all fuel from tank and refill with fresh high octane fuel. See if that works.

2. If that isn't the issue, it sounds like it is running lean, since it is worse after warm up. So rejetting and or carb adjustment may be in order. If it is EFI, then checking the map or remapping may be in order....but you said "rejetted" so it must be carbed.

3.Agree that if it sat for two seasons unused, the carb may be jetted correctly in terms of adjustment, but things may be gummed/varnished from the fuel that sat in it.

I had an '96 flat twin BMW R850R that sat all winter but with pretty new fuel with stabilizer in it. I had exactly the same problem. I changed plugs, etc. I refused to believe it was bad fuel. Finally, to prove to someone I was right and they were wrong, I drained the tank, refilled with fresh high octane from a major gas station that pumps alot of gas and wango....it worked great.

Hope that is all it is.

Bones

Old 03-13-2006, 05:17 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

Sure am glad I didn't buy V & H pipes! Have heard the same thing on this and other forums. One guy was told that he needed to replace his injection box with a V&H box...another $300 bucks.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. for the record...bike is carbureted. Bike not sitting for 2 years. Bike doesn't sit without being started for more than 3 - 4 weeks at a time or a quick ride around the block a few times even in the freezing cold.

My bet is a re-jet and dyno, carb adjustment, or possibly a new air intake. I am definitly going to try some new gas. Although, the gas that is in the tank currently is no more that a month or 2 old. PLus I topped it off this past saturday with a high 94 octane from Sunoco.

What really gets me is that the bike only has 1200 miles on it. People warned me that a Harley could be problematic but its still a Harley...right?

Thanks much for the overwhelming response...I'm starting to feel a little better but we'll see how my wallet feels at the end of all this

Old 03-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Legendary6301

What really gets me is that the bike only has 1200 miles on it. People warned me that a Harley could be problematic but its still a Harley...right?
I hope it wasn't "Harley owners" that warned you. It sounds to me you just need a GOOD tech. and I hope you find one soon. My 98' EVO has been bulletproof reliable since the day I got it. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:45 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Legendary6301

Thanks for all the replies. for the record...bike is carbureted. Bike not sitting for 2 years. Bike doesn't sit without being started for more than 3 - 4 weeks at a time or a quick ride around the block a few times even in the freezing cold.

My bet is a re-jet and dyno, carb adjustment, or possibly a new air intake. I am definitly going to try some new gas. Although, the gas that is in the tank currently is no more that a month or 2 old. PLus I topped it off this past saturday with a high 94 octane from Sunoco.

Thanks much for the overwhelming response...I'm starting to feel a little better but we'll see how my wallet feels at the end of all this
I have an 03 Heritage Classic carbed that I run the pants off. It now is just short of 30,000 miles. Not a lick of trouble.

Put a Stage I (pipes, AC, jet) on it at 12,000 and had it dynoed after the gas mileage went in the toilet. (too rich imagine that) The dealer set the needle at the "typical" setting but did not change it until I insisted that it was running rich. The conversation was kind of humorous.
Them, "What makes you think it's running rich?" (the implied part was that I did not know a carb from my elbow, which is technically true)
Me, "If that SOB ain't running rich I've got a hole in my fuel system and I don't see any gas on the ground!"

This winter it got the Stage II 95 ci, SE203 cams, will have it dynoed after breakin.

You may want to check the inlet screen on the petcock and make sure the vacuum hose is seated good on the diaphram valve.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser

OK..with that being said...Anyone know a good tech in Southeastern Pennsylvania, Philadelphia area? I'm gonna give the Harley dealership one more shot then I need a really good tech...

thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 07:01 PM
taurusjim
Cruiser

I sense an edge to your conversation...I have and 04 fatboy carbed with vance and hines long guns. bike runs great from day one....I had the screaming eagle air box and a rejet when the pipes where installed and no problems. give the dealer a chance to take care of this. It does not sound like a huge problem ....if this dealer cant fix it find another one. thats the beauty of harley.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser

Thanks again for the assistance. I'm thinking having the carbs checking and dynoed. hopefully that will fix things. Other than this little issue the bike is awesome. I'm jsut a little pissed that this happend after 1200 freaking miles...I can understand 30,000. Oh well...life goes on. I'm taking the bike in on Friday..wish me and my wallet luck.

Quick Reply: Harley Woes