General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Cue
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Gears

When shifting gears on a heel toe shifter is it alright to keep the shift lever down until next gear?&nbsp\\; So I push the lever down with my heel, hold the lever down until next gear when I lift up, clutch, press lever down and hold.&nbsp\\; Sorry for the odd question, Just making sure I am not hurting anything

Thanks Cue

Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 AM
SecretAgent
Cruiser
Default RE: Shifting Gears

DON'T DO IT.&nbsp\\; you're doing all kinds of bad things to the tranny and synchros when you do that.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

The heel toe shifter is nothing more than an extended shift lever shaft with a rear "heel" lever bolted on. No reason to shift in such a manner as your doing IMO. Shift and release.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

This question begs to be asked. WHY?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You are not doing any damage to the trans,but it seems like a very poor habit.I never hurts to ask a question!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Why would you want to hold it down? It has to come back up to shift the next gear.
Cant be good for anything.
MikeM

Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Cue
Novice

It is a uncomfortable position for me to keep my heel in a "up" position waiting to press down for the next gear. (I do a lot of city driving)\\\\\\; And it doesnt work out to push the lever down, rest foot on footboard, push lever down again, and repeat.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It's just easier to push the lever down keep it there, and then a quick up and down action to shift until next gear.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Once I am through all the gears I will need, then I move my foot to the footboard.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The gears always shift fine, nothing different noticible. This is the first I have ever used a heel toe shifter and I did not think it was "rocket science".&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Maybe I am using it wrong and it should not be uncomfortable.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I do tend to over complicate things on a regular basis.

Thanks Cue

Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put you foot back on the floorboard after shifting. Repeat process as needed. It's not good to keep weight on any levers as a habit of resting. Be it shifter, clutch or brakes. Key word is weight. Its okay to cover pedals or shifters and levers but not to rest weight on them. Premature wear and stress for no reason but fear or comfort.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
07SG
Cruiser

Cue,
I know what you mean about the uncomfortable foot position. I overcame this by simply repositioning the heel shifter a bit lower. It is a simple procedure.

Someone mentioned synchro damage. I was under the impression that the HD tranny doesn't have synchros. ??

Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always use the Toe shifter in heavy Traffic. I will do this when I am shifting a lot up and down.

It says somewhere in the manual not to have constant pressure on the shift lever.

I lowered my heel shifter so it is at the minimum spec in relation to the floorboard. So I do not have to lift up my heel as far.

Quick Reply: Shifting Gears