Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tripping lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 11:40 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tripping lights?

I know others have this problem but they just installed the light trips in the ground at my traffic lights. When I try to get out of the sub-division at a light if I don't have a car to trip the signal I will sit there for 10 minutes or longer waiting for a car. I've heard about aftermarket doohickies that will help trip the lights. Do they work? Local cops tell me just to go around lights but all it takes is one cowboy cop to screw me over.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tripping lights?

cops may be right, but check with your local roscoe p coltrane police chief
in nj, between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m., you can treat a red light as stop sign
after waiting 2 mins

dont know bout the tripper things, thought they were a strobe light to change the light green
via the emergency management sensors on top of the lights

Old 03-12-2006, 12:14 PM
rx3732
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try this....
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...raffic%20light

Old 03-12-2006, 12:16 PM
rx3732
Advanced

I've heard good things about this one...
click here
direct link click here

Old 03-12-2006, 01:07 PM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i'll be darned!
i'll have to be gittin me one of dem new fangled gadgits

Old 03-12-2006, 01:13 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

A friend of mine had one of the ones that mounts on the bottom of the bike... In theory it is supposed to up the Electomagnetic Signature of the bike and trip the sensor... It worked... sometimes. =)

If the light lasts too dang long i just go around it. If a cop wants to give me grief about it we can argue about it in court... Not my fault the dang things are not made motorcycle friendly.

To be honest though... I have not had lot of trouble with it. It seems like the lights around here have both magnetic and time on them.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:17 PM
trning
Advanced

Call your local public works dept. or whoever maintains the traffic lights. The sensitivity can be adjusted. I just went through this with the city I live in. I told them I was having trouble at the new traffic lights. They said they would take care of it and they did.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:39 PM
sbolt
Advanced

before you call Public Works or whoever it is around your way, try to stop your bike at the corner of the loop - if it's diamond shaped for example, stop the frame and motor right at the 45 degree angle, same principle if it's a square loop. These things are inductive and only pickup ferrous metal- punks on sportbikes are out of luck

Old 03-12-2006, 05:05 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: sbolt

before you call Public Works or whoever it is around your way, try to stop your bike at the corner of the loop - if it's diamond shaped for example, stop the frame and motor right at the 45 degree angle, same principle if it's a square loop. These things are inductive and only pickup ferrous metal- punks on sportbikes are out of luck
Ypu're right about stopping on the corner of the loop, and they are inductive, but they don't care whether a metal is ferrous or not. When any metal, ferrous or otherwise, goes over the loop, it changes the inductance of the buried coil. The sensor detects this inductance change, and if it is outside the preset limit, trips a relay to change the light.

I take care of one of these on the gate at work. I can trip it by rolling a spool of electrical wire over it. My bike doesn't have a problem tripping it, but my wife's Suzuki Savage has to be ridden over the corner of the loop. I can't set it any more sensitive as the gate passing over the loop will trip it. Then as the gate closes, it trips it & the gate opens again. Over & over & over & ....

Call the city, get a name, and follow up on it. Normally they'll change it, but if you get a runaround, talk to your friendly local newspaper or TV station.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We can run them in Minnesota. Law says that one has to wait a "reasonable" amount of time. It went into effect in the past few years. Can not remeber when. It's a good thing IMO as there are many lights that just don't trip for a bike.

Quick Reply: Tripping lights?