General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have you chrome dipped your primary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have you chrome dipped your primary?

I have a chrome primary but the it is a poor chrome job I am just wondering if anyone has had the polished alluminum primary chrome dipped and how did it work out? If so did ya have a local guy do it did ya send it out? and how much did it run?

The MoCo wants to damn much for a chrome primary.....

Steve

Old 03-12-2006, 10:24 AM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: have you chrome dipped your primary?

It's very hard to chrome alluminum and not many dippers can do it. Must be a shop that have the right chemicals and knows how to do it.
And IF you finds any that helps you, consider this.

If you use high pressure water jet when washing, be careful not to go to close. Since the chrome is harder than the alluminum the alluminum can 'flex' under the chrome and you'll get a separation between the materials and ultimately 'chipping' will occur.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:04 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,785 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Watch e-bay. I have seen chrome primary covers go for as cheap as $50.00. Stay away from the imported generac models though, I bought one of those and had to return it because bolt holes were off. I got a Harley o.e. take off for $58.00 in perfect condition.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:08 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

As stated above, chroming aluminum is difficult but it can be done by a good plater. The trick is to fill the pit holes in before the process is done (usually done with copper) and this translated to time which is $$$.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:17 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain

My local shop uses Browns;I believe they are in Kentucky.They do awesome work.I just got my hand controls back,and they are of a much nicer quality then the HD stuff.
As for the aluminum parts,they look great also.He has the whole engine kit for our Softtail,but my old lady gives me the evil eye every time I mention it.
They also do the fork sliders,and again,they look great.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:23 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Browns plating in Paduka KY does do some great work but from what I've seen of their work the chrome is not the same color as others. It has a slight gold color to it rather than the silvery color of the stock chrome. Otherwise good work.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:27 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master

I agree with buying one off ebay is probably the cheapest and easiest way. Chrome in not dipped, it's electroplated and with aluminum it has to be zincated first. You also have to use Nitric acid in the prep work which is expensive and not needed for steel, copper or potmetal. TCSTD is right about filling the pits with copper, deeper ones with solder or other metal filler. But if the part is smooth and has no pits or gouges, you only need enough copper to get a good buffed surface. Most places don't like doing motorcyle aluminum because it is not pure alum, it has traces of zinc and other metals that can cause blisters in the plating down the road. You can plate 5 different primaries and have one of them that is just impossible to get a good plate on it, just luck of the draw with the aluminum mix. Another reason is because of the exrta steps, it's not cost effective to do small runs and purchase the other chemicals.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser

QUOTE>Browns plating in Paduka KY does do some great work but from what I've seen of their work the chrome is not the same color as others. It has a slight gold color to it rather than the silvery color of the stock chrome. Otherwise good work.<

TCSTD sure you weren't looking at nickel plating? Nickle has a gold, almost deep luster to it as opposed to chrome. Chrome is basically all reflectivity and should not impart a hue. Sorta like kitchen fixtures. Browns has done awesome work for me - even when others said it couldn't be done.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Thanks for all the input It's very much appreciated.

Steve

Old 03-13-2006, 07:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

TCSTD sure you weren't looking at nickel plating? Nickle has a gold, almost deep luster to it as opposed to chrome. Chrome is basically all reflectivity and should not impart a hue. Sorta like kitchen fixtures. Browns has done awesome work for me - even when others said it couldn't be done.
Nope, It was most definately chrome plating. I'm not faulting their work , only comparing chrome color only compared the the hex chrome on the stock units.

Quick Reply: have you chrome dipped your primary?