General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active duty military and insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:33 PM
gooseafcrna
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default active duty military and insurance coverage

This is for any other active duty people out there.&nbsp\\; Do you pay for uninsured motorist medical on you mc insurance?&nbsp\\; This is by far the most expensive part of insurance, and since we get our health care provided by the military, is it really needed? Thanks.
&nbsp\\;
Goose

Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 PM
1Fatking
Advanced
Default RE: active duty military and insurance coverage

Check with USAA they are the best insurance around, and they are for military only.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser

I don't.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
JDB
Cruiser

If you are involved in an accident the military is going after someones insurance to pay your medical bills, it isn't free.&nbsp\\; How much of, or if any of that could come back to you would probably depend alot on the laws of the state that you are in.&nbsp\\; Call up some of the medical people and ask them what happens if you are involved in an automobile accident for the real scoop.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I do know that they don't just take care of you without someone paying the bill and you will probably end up in a civilian facility for care.
&nbsp\\;
USAF retired

Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser

I've had numerous buddies go down and a couple had to stay in a civilian hospital. Our Tricare covered it all. Even my one buddy who was at fault and had to get major reconstruction and plastic surgery. They have to cover it. Imagine what mother's of america would do if they didn't!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Check your policy.&nbsp\\; I am only required to have one vehicle covered by UI and it covers all vehicles I own.&nbsp\\; I have 2 bikes,&nbsp\\; 07 ultra classic, and 98 kawaski, full coverage on both, 250 deductable, and 500k libability, my rates are 328 yr thru geico. I am retired Army and have tricare prime, and if this is so I will cancel the UI and save a few $ so I will be able to ride more.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Telly03
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 1Fatking

Check with USAA they are the best insurance around, and they are for military only.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
This is true for the cage, but USAA does not do their own insurance for bikes... they go through progressive and it's not really a good deal.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I have USAA for the cage and GEICO for the bike.

And for your question... If you don't think you need it, and it isn't required, don't buy it.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 AM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not paying for it....

Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Zevron
Cruiser

USAA does insure motorcycles maybe it's a California law or something.I have full coverage on my bike through USAA the rates are more than 50 % less than Progressive.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Telly03
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
This is true for the cage, but USAA does not do their own insurance for bikes... they go through progressive and it's not really a good deal.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I have USAA for the cage and GEICO for the bike.

And for your question... If you don't think you need it, and it isn't required, don't buy it.
[/quote]
&nbsp\\;
+1 I had USAA for the car/bikes/home then they called and told me that they were "adjusting" rates and told me I would be better to look for differerent&nbsp\\;MC coverage.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I had Progressive but they didn't want to cover the accessories even with pics/receipts.&nbsp\\; I have Geico and madce a claim when someone knowed the bike over in the parking lot and they had no issues with the extra items.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
to answer the original posters question-pay for the coverage If you ever plan on giving somone a ride that is not family (on your TRICARE)&nbsp\\;then they would need the unisured medical.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: active duty military and insurance coverage