General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

ORIGINAL: roadglidin

<snip>
Im glad someone had the ***** to start this thread. A few of the replys are simply arrogant and out of line. Any exhaust which has been modified or changed for SOUND pleasure needs the owner/rider to modify his or her own behavior towards others. Nothing is worse than some narcisistic idiot blatting his "stait pipes" for no reason other than "Um I like the way it sounds"....
Well said, roadglidin, except maybe you should have said "simply arrogant, ignorant, and out of line." I have SE IIs and of course they're louder than stock. But they're not obnoxiously loud and I don't feel a need to prove to the world how loud they can be ("Hey, listen to my two-foot long drag pipes. I'm a one percenter wannabe.") And please, don't give me that crap about "loud pipes save lives." Yeah, sure. Take proof of that to your next legislative hearings and see how convincing that argument is. It's one thing to take advantage of your freedoms and quite another to abuse them. The stupids will have us all sounding like sewing machines.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:36 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

Man there are a lot of crotchedy old friggin geezers on this board.

Kind of expect it though.

I run stock pipes on my Eglide and loud pipes on my FXR. When I ride in NYC, I always take the FXR. "Loud pipes save lives" and if you don't believe it just come on in to NYC and blast around on your stock bike with your extra special "running" lights and see how far that get's you.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
topchop
Cruiser

Man there are a lot of crotchedy old friggin geezers on this board.
Yeah..no kidding. I like the sound of drag pipes. A quiet Harley just seems lame to me. In today's world of drive by shootings, rampant drug abuse, corporate greed, terrorism, poverty, etc. this should be the LAST issue people feel passionate about. The last time I checked, the bill of rights doesn't mention anything about the right to "not be annoyed". Quiet Harley's? What's this world coming too? I had to double check I wasn't on the vegan's who drive hybrids for the preservation of the spotted owl forum!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 PM
RRDube2
Cruiser

'03 XL1200C Sporty w/V&H Straightshots,Barks on command.
'06 FXDBI Street Bob w/SE II Slip-ons,Sweet.
I'll quiet em down right after you pry my licensed firearms from my cold dead hands.Name:  2005_1002setb0037.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  1.4 KB

Old 03-13-2006, 09:56 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Every ricer wants to sound like a Harley, so why would you not want a Harley to sound like a Harley? I do not know who the "Politically correct" person that started this poll....but I cant imagine riding a Harley with the stock exhaust on it. Why do I like it loud?????
Of course, everone wants to be *just like you*! The world may be bigger than your expectations. Loud pipes on a 90 degree v-twin sound like something other than a harley.

"Ricer", hahah. Guess what, there are also Pasta Burners, Beer Grinders, Borcht-Glides, and many others that are loud while doing thier own thing.

Its a big world. We dont have the market cornered on loud.

Im with you on liking loud exhusts though. I just dont need to believe that everone is imitating a harley.

-Max

Old 03-13-2006, 11:24 PM
UncleMike
Road Master

Didn't vote cause I didn't like the sound of the choices. Best riding Bud has Santee Drag pipes that are loud so to keep him PC and courteous I make him ride on my right side. I don't care if someone wants loud pipes or not. I do care about the fact that no matter what you do anymore someone wants to tell you that you can't.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:35 PM
razorbill10
5th Gear

I totally agree
ORIGINAL: UncleMike

Didn't vote cause I didn't like the sound of the choices. Best riding Bud has Santee Drag pipes that are loud so to keep him PC and courteous I make him ride on my right side. I don't care if someone wants loud pipes or not. I do care about the fact that no matter what you do anymore someone wants to tell you that you can't.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 PM
UncleMike
Road Master

Well thanks there razorbill10 and that is one heck of a first post. Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"They actually like the deafening sound"

This is my excuse for the same reason that my trucks wear Flowmasters. I know there are people who care about only how cool they look to others but I honestly could care less. I ordered loud pipes because it's exactly how I want the bike to sound and for no other reason. Life is too short to be so concerned about what others think.

" Over here we call the open pipe riders bikes for pen!s extenders, because the owners lack of it"

I do, however, appreciate the concern for my middle appendage. I assure you it is doing fine and has absolutely nothing to do with my bike, my jacked-up truck or any other inanimate object frequently used for Freudian comparison. Why is it with some people, if you don't like what they like, or if what you like is bigger and/or louder than what they like, you must have a short pecker?

Old 03-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

I think that "Loud pipes save lives" is bs. People are driving around with their stereos playing and will not hear your bike before you've passed them anyway. Bikes can be very loud when they are in front of you, but not so much when they are behind you, which is what really matters as far as safety concerns.

There're surprisingly many people here who think that they have the right to annoy people. There have been some good posts also though.

I cannot even figure out the appeal to that crap. Low/loud rumble I get... High pitched wheezing sound... WTF?
Well, like another guy said, it's a big world. There are as many people out there who likes the sound of a short stroke, high performance engine as there are people who like the sound of a Harley, like it or not.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes