General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Pathfinder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

I just changed muffles and pipes to mellow out the rumble. Not because anyone made me, the sound of the SE Slip ons just cracked too loud for my taste. The Reinharts tuned it down just enough for my old ears. Between the two of them over 100 years old. LOL! Seriously though, I have used the mufflers to alert a cager or two talkin' on a cell phone, eatin' a Big Mac, while smoklin a cigarette that I would appreciate it if he didn't try and violate Einstein's theory of relativity. I don't crack em in hospital zones etc. or the like. Can't see throwin' gas on an already burnin' fire. You'd have a hard time gettin' a LEO around here to write a ticket for mufflers. Nearly all of them ride!

Old 03-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AcidRayn

you forgot a very important choice

BECUZ I CAN!
No you can't, legally.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

ORIGINAL: route2null0
Get over yourselves.
Just spent a few days in Daytona. We were a 1/4 mile off of International Speedway Blvd and couldn't carry on a conversation without yelling at each other. People were stuck in traffic just rapping the chit out of there pipes just to make noise. Everytime I heard someone doing that I just thought they needed attention they couldn't get at home!

It's getting ridiculous. If people don't calm their pipes down we won't be able to run anything except stock exhaust in a few years. Maybe some of you guys that live in Podunk County or out in the sticks can get away with it. The bigger citys down here are starting to crack down already.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member

If it's too loud, you're too old

Old 03-13-2006, 12:37 AM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red

Get over yourselves.
Just spent a few days in Daytona. We were a 1/4 mile off of International Speedway Blvd and couldn't carry on a conversation without yelling at each other. People were stuck in traffic just rapping the chit out of there pipes just to make noise. Everytime I heard someone doing that I just thought they needed attention they couldn't get at home!

It's getting ridiculous. If people don't calm their pipes down we won't be able to run anything except stock exhaust in a few years. Maybe some of you guys that live in Podunk County or out in the sticks can get away with it. The bigger citys down here are starting to crack down already.

Uhm, you were at one of the largest bike rally's in the country. What did you expect?
You want everyone's ride to sound like a ***** cat? Be realistic and find something more
constructive to complain about.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Uhm, you were at one of the largest bike rally's in the country. What did you expect?
You want everyone's ride to sound like a ***** cat? Be realistic and find something more
constructive to complain about.
Thanks for telling me there was a bike rally happening. I was wondering why so many scoots were in the area..... LMAO! I've only been going to Bike Week since '70. Now I know why they call it bike week.

Straight pipes suck......... Most of the straight pipe boys don't ride more than a couple thousand miles a year, if that. I wonder if that's because they can't even stand listening to their pipes themselves! I always LMAO when I see a guy with loud pipes wearing ear plugs. WTF is that all about?

We can agree we disagree........

Old 03-13-2006, 01:07 AM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's A Motorcycle...Ride It Like One!

AND sound like one!

Old 03-13-2006, 10:12 AM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser

I have a few nighbors that I'm about ready to have a "discussion" with because they not only have drag pipes, but think it's their "right" to blast through the neighborhood full-throttle at 3am. I think that your rights end at my doorstep, and I don't need your noise in my house. I ride, and love the sound of Harleys, so if it bothers me, it must make the rest of the non-biker community nuts.

Straight pipes are definately going to get all riders in trouble. For example, there are several legislators here in NH pushing pretty hard for a law that outlaws pipes based on the type of pipe, not decibel level. The idea is to eliminate the difficult and expensive db test. As I understand the rule, all pipes would need to have a mechanical internal baffle that prevents a stright-through flow of exhaust (like the stock pipes do). This would effectively outlaw all aftermarket pipes, because every one that I'm aware of, even the "quiet" ones are straight-through. This would also make ticketing loud bikes MUCH easier than it is now (that's the whole idea). The motorcycling community is growing, but we're never going to outnumber non-riders. Loud pipes are provoking a war that we will not win. So keep cracking those straight pipes...I see tickets in your future.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FLHTPjeff

but think it's their "right" to blast through the neighborhood full-throttle at 3am. I think that your rights end at my doorstep, and I don't need your noise in my house. I ride, and love the sound of Harleys, so if it bothers me, it must make the rest of the non-biker community nuts.

...I see tickets in your future.
Well said FLATPjeff !!

I lump loud pipes, coffee can mufflers, and 10,000 watt rolling boom boxes all together. EXTREMELY ANNOYING ! [sm=GrowUp.gif]

Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

I did a Stage I with SE pipes so I could hear my own engine over the wind noise. And I also wanted a little better performance. Out here in Texas we have an entirely new generation of NOISE - modified Diesel pickups, holy cow talk about something irritating! We dualled out our pickups for the "proper sound" but we also recognized there were limits. As with any other exhaust systems, you may well end up attracting unnecessary attention to yourself running with straight pipes. It may just be a DPS Troopers bad day when you blow by his speedtrap.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes