General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

If you get your *** thouroughly kicked by someone that you were parcticing your "drivilin moderation" on, don't come crying!
[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 03-12-2006, 04:30 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I bought it used, and they were already on it?![8D]

And yes, I do like to be heard, I have had to "PIPE" a cage or 2, to keep from being taken out! It worked to, it's not my first line of defence, but I make some noise if I have to[:-]!![8D]

Old 03-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

not likely George [sm=nono.gif] ... seriously doubt any driviler can do that

Old 03-12-2006, 04:48 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

It's in the 80s here today so I went out for a cruise... Riding along... waving to the other bikers... Then I get this @$$hat in a ricer with a fart pipe go blasting by... Holy crap... Anyone that wants to complain about motorcycles making noise should hear these idiots.

I cannot even figure out the appeal to that crap. Low/loud rumble I get... High pitched wheezing sound... WTF?

Old 03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Every ricer wants to sound like a Harley, so why would you not want a Harley to sound like a Harley? I do not know who the "Politically correct" person that started this poll....but I cant imagine riding a Harley with the stock exhaust on it. Why do I like it loud?????

1-To be heard, so people know I am there
2-For better performance
3-For better looks
4-I love the sound
5-Everyone I know has commented on how good it looks/sounds!
NOT my style to pick one out and make an issue so dont feel offended. You just said in the shortest most direct way what a "few" others have basically said. Im not too sure everyone has clearly read the initial post I ride with plenty of guys who ride other than Harleys, and not a single one has ever "wished" it sounded like my bike. I do understand a point you may be making about the Jap cruiser market and some of those pipes they install. Dreadfull. Nothing was said about a "Harley sounding like a Harley" at all. Just about exhaust that was at an EXTREME level. Im sure the writer was meaning "obnoxious". Hell, I wouldnt even say he was being PC. Kinda called a spade a spade didnt he? Im actually almost 100% sure he never even suggested using a "stock" Harley factory issued exhaust. (I'll read it for the 37th time JUST to be certain.) The 5 reasons given seem to be the most popular reasons for sure-your right on the money. 1. you;ll certainly be heard .2 performance enhancements are a personal choice of freedom which we ALL agree on (although "drag pipes dont work on a street bike) 3. for looks..no doubt and again, a great looking system wont offend anyone. 4. Love the sound. There are at least 2 dozen exhaust systems available that will increase power, sound great, and not offend so were ALL with ya there!
(getting totally off the quoted subject) Clearly the thread is about exhaust thats just way-way over the edge, and more importantly the almost retarted behavior. I totally disagree with ANYONE who feels their right to be "obnoxiously loud" overrides the rights of other freedom loving Americans. This is what will cause us to lose our rights and priveledges, and further perpetuates the myth.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
broke joker
Advanced

Yeah I agree! This is still the U.S.A right. If ya don't like hearing them use ear plugs. I mean how long do you really hear the bike 10 sec. if that!

Old 03-12-2006, 10:17 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mwike

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Every ricer wants to sound like a Harley, so why would you not want a Harley to sound like a Harley? I do not know who the "Politically correct" person that started this poll....but I cant imagine riding a Harley with the stock exhaust on it. Why do I like it loud?????

1-To be heard, so people know I am there
2-For better performance
3-For better looks
4-I love the sound
5-Everyone I know has commented on how good it looks/sounds!

The politically correct comment is a new one for me. How does consideration for others = politically correct? I guess the vast majority of the public who think these pipes are annoying should just be annoyed because it's someone's right to make them scream while going through the city if they want to.

That was the nicest way I could put itBut seriously, I have loud exhaust...the deep sound that you feel in your chest. You can say what you want, but when I am in the cage, I can hear a Harley long before I see it. It makes me aware that a bike is close. I have many times pulled up at a red light and see the people around me in cages looking to find the sound. It really does work.....to what extent....who knows....

While we are on the subject....what is more offensive?

1-a getto box in a $200.00 POS that echoes for miles
2-a toyota with a buzz can muffler winding every gear to the limit
3-or the sweet sound of a Harley

Old 03-12-2006, 11:36 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loud noise sux.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 868 Likes on 488 Posts

Here's the biggest reason for loud pipes I can think of............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-yt...20funny%20sexy

Old 03-12-2006, 11:58 PM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People that are bitchin about loud pipes are probably the same people that would like to see all these sports teams change their names because they may offend our native american folks.

Get over yourselves.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes