General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:17 AM
OH Bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

msocko3,

I couldn't agree more! Those who have loud pipes and use them indiscriminately among the general populous do nothing but antagonize them, as well as fellow motorcyclists who abhor loud pipes.

It all boils down to common courtesy- it is not your right!! JMHO.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Mwike - Did you ever pull up next to a subwoofer storm trooper? How about a dirt truck applying the Jake Brakes? GeorgeC is dead on right - It's about beind considerate. My pythons are loud if I want them to be but I am considerate as hell and back off for schools, pedestrians, hospitals etc......I have cracked them loud to keep a cager in their own lane plenty of times and my own unscientific study tells me that most folks buy the pipes they like as a matter of personal taste not "Hey look at me" - To each his own and be considerate of others and the world will be a better place

Old 03-12-2006, 08:42 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: msocko3
Yep sure can, right now that is. All the pin heads that think they have to have them loud will or shall I say are, going to get the industry regulated. The old and new will never be the same in 5 years or so, just keep ticking people off and there are ways to make it stop and they will use them to make it stop.
The industry is going to be regulated anyway. Even if everyone in the country went to quiet pipes, regulation is still coming. The biker building TV shows are the reason. They put the spotlight on how unregulated the biking world is. The EPA has found an unregulated industry (one of the few left) and now they have to make new rules in order to justify their own existence.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:17 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every ricer wants to sound like a Harley, so why would you not want a Harley to sound like a Harley? I do not know who the "Politically correct" person that started this poll....but I cant imagine riding a Harley with the stock exhaust on it. Why do I like it loud?????

1-To be heard, so people know I am there
2-For better performance
3-For better looks
4-I love the sound
5-Everyone I know has commented on how good it looks/sounds!

Old 03-12-2006, 10:38 AM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not hard to get any bike to make loud sound[:@]
What surprises me is all the Harley riders that confuses good sound with loud noice
A harley sould have a mighty deep powerful rumble[8D] not a high schreaking agony noice[&:]
Over here we call the open pipe riders bikes for pen!s extenders, because the owners lack of it

Old 03-12-2006, 10:40 AM
mwike
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Every ricer wants to sound like a Harley, so why would you not want a Harley to sound like a Harley? I do not know who the "Politically correct" person that started this poll....but I cant imagine riding a Harley with the stock exhaust on it. Why do I like it loud?????

1-To be heard, so people know I am there
2-For better performance
3-For better looks
4-I love the sound
5-Everyone I know has commented on how good it looks/sounds!

The politically correct comment is a new one for me. How does consideration for others = politically correct? I guess the vast majority of the public who think these pipes are annoying should just be annoyed because it's someone's right to make them scream while going through the city if they want to.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:55 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

Update on Ct.s "loud exhaust" battleground. On 3/6/06 a hearing took place on a proposed law concearning loud motorcycle exhaust. I am a C.M.R.A. member (Cts version of ABATE) and I oppose this law to go into affect. The law was to allow police to revoke your registaration on the spot for a SECOND violation (or more) within a years time. You can view the full text of the bill at www.cga.ct.gov/ and type in bill #5487.
Connecticut riders are under attack, especially those in the vicinity of Litchfields Troop L barracks. The surrounding area has morphed into an affluent-artsy-trendy weekend playground for the NYC executive who "dont want to smell the cow or horse manure, or hear motorcycles period". Unfortunately people with money buy political clout and pressure the local authorities.
Back to the proposed bill and what it means...This is just NOT going to affect Connecticut (and WTF ARE ya going to do about it, huh??) and the next step will be to completely outlaw ANY modifications to your personal property ie:your motorcycle. The point is where this new "law" will be headed and how its to be enforced. Currently, Ct. troopers DO NOT comply with law and do the proper decible testing with the proper equipment. (does your local police do the proper testing?) Yet based on a "personal opinion of a particular officer" you'll be ticketed and forced to jump through hoops. Whatever your feeling is on exhaust (and I have my opinions believe me!) the proposed and current enforcement of the law is outlandish. IF a noise bill is to be passed into law, it should NOT excempt diesel trucks, cars, busses or even construction equipment. This is not fair to motorcyclist as the answer is OBVIOUS why we are being singled out! Could you imagine the cost to private-state-local business if all their trucks on the road were FORCED to comply with a new noise law?
Im glad someone had the ***** to start this thread. A few of the replys are simply arrogant and out of line. Any exhaust which has been modified or changed for SOUND pleasure needs the owner/rider to modify his or her own behavior towards others. Nothing is worse than some narcisistic idiot blatting his "stait pipes" for no reason other than "Um I like the way it sounds". IMO, this individule deserves to pay a hefty fine period for the behavior. But THIS behavior hurts the fellow BROTHERS who also ride. (note* I did not say YOUR behavior!) And the f'n cop doesnt discriminate idiotic behavior of that individule versus singling out any biker for any reason and busting nuts. The new noise laws will allow this form of profiling. As riders we are either part of the solution or you ARE the problem. There are numerous performance exhaust on the market which allow the rider to slide under the microscope without a second glance and satisfy the owner for its "sound". This does not apply to strictly HARLEY owners! And as for the "safety" feature of EXTREMELY loud pipes. Be real. It certainly seems to get some the attention they crave for, but learning to ride and maneuver the motorcycle and being aware of your surroundings are more important aspects to riding. Proper technique is better than any helmet or loud drag pipe on the market. Nuff said, join your local bikers rights org NOW. TOM, Ct. motorcycle rights org. member and bikers rights activist.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
swedishvix
Road Master

I live in a nieghborhood w/ several bikes in it, some are pretty loud. It is Sunday morning & beautiful outside, so of course they are all out this morning. They start em up & they are gone. A few minutes of loud is nothing compared to the teenager down the road w/ god knows how many kickers in the trunk blasting away, shaking my windows as he passes or the crop duster circling over every two minutes. Loud pipes don't bother me.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:03 PM
KenM
Road Master

Because my Rineharts sound the way I want to sound. Not too loud unless you want them to be. I can hear my tunes all the time.
I'm not an attention *****
I like the sound
I wear a helmet
I believe it is safer (could be debatable as I don't think GW's are any more apt to have an accident - Hmm I wondered why the air bags)
I respect my neighbours
I guess I have the bad A$$ image as I take one of my three kids age 1 @ 8 & 2 @ 7 years for rides.

As with most things - moderation.

If you don't like them - don't buy them.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm about as PC as a 2x4....i like loud pipes...i like the sound of a well-tuned engine...i like the freedom America gives...i dont like pin-head liberals who think they need to save the world to thier standards...you front me up with you drivilin "considerate" crap an i promise you wont like my answer

i do practice moderation...i am a considerate person...but i am sick & tired of diarhea-mouth sensationalists forcing what they think is right on me...now i'm gonna have a smoke, enjoy it, & go ride my scoot some...some folks oughta wear a skirt

Quick Reply: Loud pipes