General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Loud pipes

You got it! That is how it works and they will go after the dealers and Harley Corp because there is big money in Fines. That how they pay their way.

But on the other hand the loud pipes are irritating folks and that is leading to regulation of the sound. I saw the post about the guy form CT that got checked by the police and fined. They are carrying DB meters to check with. So if we don't regulate ourselves and be reasonable then we will bring down the house on our own heads.

I have V&H Big Shot Staggered Pipes and they are loud but I waltz through town as quite as I can. Same in my home neighborhood.

Lee

Old 06-18-2007, 01:50 PM
eldude
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply put..."Loud Pipes Violate Rights"

The rights of ever person the biker passes, the peace of the home, the relaxation of the back yard, the sleep of a child, a Sunday afternoon nap, conversation with neighbors.

Loud pipes have little to do with preformance other then "it sounds fast". Most factory big bikes will out preform any car on the road right off the dealers floor. Safety? There is no study or fact except hearsay and wishful fantasy. It is however, all about EGO and the "Look At Me".

Riding is Freedom, Freedom is Respecting The Rights Of Others.

Loud Pipes Violate Rights and can lead to Loosing Rights.

EHS

Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

ORIGINAL: AcidRayn

you forgot a very important choice

BECUZ I CAN!
Not in Denver, Colorado you can't, and it is coming everywhere because people just have to show off and get noticed.

Bill

Old 06-18-2007, 03:29 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, this is the worst poll I've ever seen on this site. Not one offered choice is serious.

I like loud pipes so that folks in cars can hear me. How about that. You wrote "safety - while wearing a beanie helmet". How about just "safety" without the sarcastic caveot?

give me a break and get a honda.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:30 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

The Denver law is BS because it's NOT based on the noise level...they're trying to dictate what accessories you can install on your bike. I'll be riding through Denver at will after 7/1 (the date the "pipe ****" law takes effect) BECUZ I CAN and I 'aint afraid...the ticket is beatable and I don't run LOUD un-baffled pipes. Oh yeah,there hasbeen a LOUD noise here in Denver...AGAINST the new modified pipe law.
ORIGINAL: billnourse

ORIGINAL: AcidRayn

you forgot a very important choice

BECUZ I CAN!
Not in Denver, Colorado you can't, and it is coming everywhere because people just have to show off and get noticed.

Bill

Old 06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kids with Boom Boom Boxes can sit next to you and you can feel the ground shake, but you complain about other folks rights to loud pipes.
You have no Idea what kind of can of worms you are gonna start wanting to take folks rights away with loud pipes. It willl be a snoball effect on where it goes. We have the EPA coming out of the woodwork on Global warming which is a new way to put a scare tactic in everybody to make more money. Seen yer buddy al doing anything to help global warming that making speaches and making millions off it.
Where did everybody with common sense go ?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:16 AM
bradhinz
Tourer

i do because I love the sound. 2 1/4 inch porkers for me.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: broke joker

Yeah I agree! This is still the U.S.A right. If ya don't like hearing them use ear plugs. I mean how long do you really hear the bike 10 sec. if that!
That's like telling non-smokers to wear a respirator if they don't like your second-hand smoke... That one won't flush.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:46 AM
madden23
Road Master

I object to those running straight pipes,they are fooling themselves if they think it gives them more performance, the shock waves in an unrestricted pipe will draw air from the motor and rob low end and mid range torque, so what's the point besides being "noticed". I have Rineharts nice rumble, OK a "little" loud, but pleasant sounding. If it didn't sound like a Harley, I probably would not enjoy it as much. Peace.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 AM
wico1
Tourer

I just recently took the baffles off my VH big shot duals...Why? Because I like the sound and I wanna be be heard. I live in a cul-de sac, but I don't spend all day going in circles and pissing of my neighbors. They'll hear me for less than five minutes and I'm gone for hours. I'll hit the throttle when I'm lane splittin, just wanna make sure I'm heard and seen. I'll be considerate under freeway underpasses, neighborhoods, and waiting at an intersection....Other than that...You'll hear me.