General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:13 AM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

I've had loud pipes in the past but as I've gotten older I really don't care much for them. Something struck me today for some reason though..I bet that less than .01 % of you that like loud pipes (for whatever reason) have or would have a car that was that loud..wonder why that is.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

Interesting thread.. most of you said the exact same things, but worded it differently....that Some folks with loud pipes/boom-boxes/trucks/voices/or whatever, can be, & sometimes are, inconsiderate of others. (Is there ANYONE who has Never been inconsiderate of others?) If it bothers you to such an extent, then find the person & go tell them.

Kinda obvious, it is personal responsibility.

So.. WHO decides who's pipes are 'too" loud? Will there be a call box on every corner to call '1-800-pipes-too-loud'? Will it be like the helmet laws, where it is different depending where you are? Will it be regulated at the factory & therefore of no further consequence? Will that then have to apply to ALL motorcycles, just to be fair? What about a Govenor? Seems to me I've heard "speed kills"....

Someone ( sorry, I forgot whom) said "I ordered loud pipes because it's exactly how I want the bike to sound and for no other reason."

That would be myself as well. NOW, it sounds like the Harley Davidson I love! Add to it, I also believe, ( hell I Know it has) in several certain circumstances, the loudness of my Drag Specialties, have saved my butt.

Dunno guys... seems like you're just chasing your tail with this topic!

( Don't get started on the tatts!!!)

Helmets well, again, choice...

Old 07-29-2006, 12:52 AM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Katie

Interesting thread.. most of you said the exact same things, but worded it differently....that Some folks with loud pipes/boom-boxes/trucks/voices/or whatever, can be, & sometimes are, inconsiderate of others. (Is there ANYONE who has Never been inconsiderate of others?) If it bothers you to such an extent, then find the person & go tell them.

Kinda obvious, it is personal responsibility.

So.. WHO decides who's pipes are 'too" loud? Will there be a call box on every corner to call '1-800-pipes-too-loud'? Will it be like the helmet laws, where it is different depending where you are? Will it be regulated at the factory & therefore of no further consequence? Will that then have to apply to ALL motorcycles, just to be fair? What about a Govenor? Seems to me I've heard "speed kills"....

Someone ( sorry, I forgot whom) said "I ordered loud pipes because it's exactly how I want the bike to sound and for no other reason."

That would be myself as well. NOW, it sounds like the Harley Davidson I love! Add to it, I also believe, ( hell I Know it has) in several certain circumstances, the loudness of my Drag Specialties, have saved my butt.

Dunno guys... seems like you're just chasing your tail with this topic!

( Don't get started on the tatts!!!)

Helmets well, again, choice...
Great Post! Good this was resurrected, as it was here before I was. I agree, the rider needs to control his/her situation. If I am careful not to be obnoxious, what's the problem?

I know that my closest near-miss would not have happened with my current pipes. The woman, who was running a dog and ran out right in front of me, said that she "didn't know I was there."

Old 07-29-2006, 01:33 AM
MyRide7
Tourer

Well!!!!
I see most of you are off line now!!! I guess I can post now!! Me thinks if all of you would spend more time OUT RIDING around this beautiful country then MAYBE when you get home and get online instead of BEATING the DEAD Horse in the ground on topics like

HELMETs Who Wears them?
Where should I carry my GUN?
Lound PIPES?
etc
etc

YOU COULD POST SOME GREAT STORIES ABOUT YOUR RIDE (I just got home from a great one and plan on leaving for another over the weekend and again on TUES!)

I did read most post above I do agree with FLYINGPILGRAM for the most part. But WTF do I know I am busy riding so I dont have the time to rant and bitch.

DO WTF you want concerning the helments, guns, pipes etc etc. I would sugest however if you all spent more time enjoying the ride and posting about the ride you may be less inclined to bitch to eachother so fricking much on the forum! But then again WTF do I Know?

MyRide7

[sm=bangbang.gif][sm=bicker.gif][sm=deadhorse.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=GrowUp.gif]

Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

I say screw 'em all. I do a burnout everytime I leave the driveway, my guns in my belt, tattoos hanging out everywhere. When I get to Walmart, I don't park on the sidewalk or the parking spaces. I pull right in the front doors, do another loud burnout and park next to the carriages. Then I'll toss my helmet at the greeter and tell him to keep an eye on the bike for me. No-one seems to mind.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Road King Craig
Cruiser

MEN,
I kinda started this thread, and then the poll came out later. Hey I love them window shaker pipes on a HARLEY but two days ago while standing outside the Courthouse in the county I live in, standing with two lawyers and two cops about the hearing I just indured for three hours this guy went buy on his 2003 FAT BOY and he WRISTED that thing so bad and ran from red light to red light like it was a drag strip, The first thing out of the COPS MOUTHS was that **** HAS GOT TO STOP, The lawyer and a HARLEY owner himself! said yep there are a million miles of country road he had to do that right outside the courthouse where two judges were doing there buisness. Times are diffferent fellas ! now its EPA, NEXT IT WILL BE RANDOM ROAD SIDE CHECKS ! I say just use some discretion if we keep drawing attention to ourselves we will loose in the end !
Tj

Old 07-29-2006, 01:23 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't read all the posts and this might have been said before but I really find it humorous that it seems most people who believe loud pipes saves lives don't wear helmets !!! DUH !

Old 07-29-2006, 01:53 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

I haven't read all the posts and this might have been said before but I really find it humorous that it seems most people who believe loud pipes saves lives don't wear helmets !!! DUH !
Guess I'm an exception to your "most"

Old 07-29-2006, 01:55 PM
mwike
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Road King Craig

MEN,
I kinda started this thread, and then the poll came out later. Hey I love them window shaker pipes on a HARLEY but two days ago while standing outside the Courthouse in the county I live in, standing with two lawyers and two cops about the hearing I just indured for three hours this guy went buy on his 2003 FAT BOY and he WRISTED that thing so bad and ran from red light to red light like it was a drag strip, The first thing out of the COPS MOUTHS was that **** HAS GOT TO STOP, The lawyer and a HARLEY owner himself! said yep there are a million miles of country road he had to do that right outside the courthouse where two judges were doing there buisness. Times are diffferent fellas ! now its EPA, NEXT IT WILL BE RANDOM ROAD SIDE CHECKS ! I say just use some discretion if we keep drawing attention to ourselves we will loose in the end !
Tj
Poll started on 3/11

Old 07-29-2006, 02:04 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah Eazy, that's why I didn't say all.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes