General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

I really think most people here are considerate of their neighbors, but it puzzles me when some justify their actions by pointing out the guy next them as being worse. Granted, I hate loud car stereos blaring bass rap, I would be pissed if my neighbor was doing burnouts near enough to disturb me, but I guess I'd go bang on their door and try to solve it by letting them know it disturbs you. If that don't work, call your local LAW, and let them handle it for you. [sm=rant.gif]

Old 03-24-2006, 01:54 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: harley rulz

We should have just started a thread about guns killing people (they don't) people kill people.
wrong... wrong... wrong!!! It should be:

Gun's don't kill people... Postal workers do. =)

Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: no1likhim

I see we have 5 choices.

They are attention ****** - To a small percentage- yes they are.

COOL/BAD biker image - That is a part of the HD persona. Not all HD riders play into that. Only some.

They actually like the deafening sound - I did when younger. Not that I have hearing loss from loud pipes and standing too many years in front of a loud bass guitar amplifier I dont like it any more, but thats me.

Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet? - To each his own. Dont point the finger unless you are 100% safe yourself. How many times do you exceed the speed limit while riding with quiet pipes?

Performance - ONly needed if you want to climp hills and mountains or exceed the speed limit. Maximum limit around here is 70. I do that just fine with stockers. And it costs me a lot less money.

I admit a good sounding set pf pipes on a hog is one of the best things in life. But, is it about the pipes? Or is it about the ride itself?
Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Its all of the above. At some point during every ones riding days, there was a moment when you pulled into a parking lot and had that Look at me and my bad *** Harley with that awesome rumble on your face or the day that you were trucking down the interstate and got on the throttle just a little more than you normally do and went slightly over the speed limit. Mike the rest of this post is not directed at you.

Just because some of us BIKER'S like to have louder than stock pipes on our scoots DOES NOT mean that we have them to be inconsiderate of those of you that prefer them to be quite and soft. My Harley is my hobby, my sport, my Hot rod if you will.
I don't rap on my pipes late at night or early in the morning nor am I intentionally inconsiderate of others. For those of you that do not like louder than stock pipes, please do not lump us all into one category.

Wow, I can remember when the biker community was a pretty tight group that looked out for each other, doesnt seem so much any longer. My, How things have changed.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:30 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I can remember when the biker community was a pretty tight group that looked out for each other, doesnt seem so much any longer. My, How things have changed.
Well here we go with the personal BS again. I don't think that you would find a member that wouldn't come to your aid if you needed it. Just read some of the posts about lost relatives, dogs, bikers down and you will see the tight group your talking about. We dissagree on what is loud and necessary. Some have said that they think LOUD is inconsiderate and some have said they don't care. That doesn't meen that WE aren't together as bikers. Some like skulls and some don't same thing except you can't hear skulls. my .02 cents

Old 03-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: vernh59

Well here we go with the personal BS again. I don't think that you would find a member that wouldn't come to your aid if you needed it. Just read some of the posts about lost relatives, dogs, bikers down and you will see the tight group your talking about. We dissagree on what is loud and necessary. Some have said that they think LOUD is inconsiderate and some have said they don't care. That doesn't meen that WE aren't together as bikers. Some like skulls and some don't same thing except you can't hear skulls. my .02 cents
Vernh59, Are you just trying to get me stirred up? Whats the deal? I didn't mention anything personal toward anyone in that post. The point is we are arguing over exhaust pipes for gods sake! We have folks here that don't like them loud and they will defend their position the same as the folks with loud pipes will defend their right to have them just as strongly! There is no winner, in this argument. Just a few years back you would have never seen a group of Harley owners argue over Loud Pipes. How many times have you ever heard someone call out someone becasue they had the stock mufflers on their Harley? I will bet, not very often.

I have been apart of the biker community for a very long time, in more ways than I care to remember at times. So I don't need you to point out the good will that is afforded by the biker community.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Gadget
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am lucky, cause I'd guess that 99.9 percent of the population here in Japan think Harleys are cool, especially if they are loud. So even though I don't care if my loud pipes are annoying, for the most part, they probably actually aren't over here.

But like I said before - the folks who have Harley's here in Japan don't go around irritating the crap out of folks at all hours of the night like the little ****** on scooters do.

I think the point someone was trying to make here is "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Pretty much everyone I know and or see anywhere and everywhere, does something that annoys somebody. If you smoke, you are annoying someone. If you speed, you are annoying someone. If you run a red light, you are annoying someone. If you don't eat meat, you are annoying someone. If you eat meat, you are annoying someone. If you are drinking and driving/riding, then you are annoying someone.

So before getting too hot and bothered over this topic - no matter what side of the fence you're on, I think folks should take a look in the mirror first and then make sure their stuff is 100% stink free before making this the topic they are willing to die for.

As for me - the wife is annoyed with me right now, which is why I'm sitting here typing on this damn puter at 0530 in the morning instead of sleeping...maybe I should go start the Harley.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=deadhorse.gif][sm=deadhorse.gif][sm=deadhorse.gif]When ya get rid of,cellphones,eating,& doing everything else in cages but drive.........I'll get rid of my loud pipes.Saved my life more than once.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

TM, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you are inconsiderate, and I'm not saying everyone with loud pipes is inconsiderate either. I'm saying that if you have loud pipes, and if you don't use discretion when it is called for, and if you just don't care who you **** off by those acts, then you are inconsiderate.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Vernh59, Are you just trying to get me stirred up? Whats the deal?
Looks like I already did. All I'm saying is the "biker community" is not going to S**T because some people do/don't like loud pipes. I don't know your background so you got the rest of the post. No offense intended, none taken. Seeya!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: vernh59

Vernh59, Are you just trying to get me stirred up? Whats the deal?
Looks like I already did. All I'm saying is the "biker community" is not going to S**T because some people do/don't like loud pipes. I don't know your background so you got the rest of the post. No offense intended, none taken. Seeya!!!
Its all good, not mad at all.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes