General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Fred00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

ORIGINAL: Gadget
Would he have heard the horn instead?
Of course he would.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Gadget
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Fred, you can't say that. My pipes are much louder than the stock horn is. I do plan on changing that to the new air horn HD offers. I'm a reasonable guy so to say "of course he would have heard my stock horn"? I think that might be stretching it...but that's just me - the guy who was there - saying that.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Fred00
Road Captain

Actually Fred, you can't say that. My pipes are much louder than the stock horn is. I do plan on changing that to the new air horn HD offers. I'm a reasonable guy so to say "of course he would have heard my stock horn"? I think that might be stretching it...but that's just me - the guy who was there - saying that.
Well, you would have to be almost deaf to not hear the horn of a vehicle next to you.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Fred00

Well, you would have to be almost deaf to not hear the horn of a vehicle next to you.
I disagree... The horn being on the left side of the bike and most @$$hats that are trying to run you over are on your right. between their cellphones, radios, etc... you have a better chance of them hearing or feeling the exahust which is typically on the right side of the bike.

JMHO

Old 03-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see we have 5 choices.

They are attention ****** - To a small percentage- yes they are.

COOL/BAD biker image - That is a part of the HD persona. Not all HD riders play into that. Only some.

They actually like the deafening sound - I did when younger. Not that I have hearing loss from loud pipes and standing too many years in front of a loud bass guitar amplifier I dont like it any more, but thats me.

Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet? - To each his own. Dont point the finger unless you are 100% safe yourself. How many times do you exceed the speed limit while riding with quiet pipes?

Performance - ONly needed if you want to climp hills and mountains or exceed the speed limit. Maximum limit around here is 70. I do that just fine with stockers. And it costs me a lot less money.

I admit a good sounding set pf pipes on a hog is one of the best things in life. But, is it about the pipes? Or is it about the ride itself?

Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

I had full intentions of staying out of a debate that cannot be won, but I'm really shocked at how many inconsiderate people here don't care about their neighbors. All I can say is, I'm glad you're not riding down my street annoying me and my family. I like the sound of mild pipes, hate the sound of straight pipes. People that work midnights are another consideration. It is not a God given right to be able to make as much noise as you damn well please. I'd say just use common sense, but it sounds like there are people that just don't give a **** about anyone else in this world. Same guys that have a FTW attitude.[:@]

Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

This topic has become so violent lately...

I picked my bike up yesterday with the new mods to it... They include new V&H BSS.

I live out in the boonies... Went crusing past a couple of pastures on the way home. Now... typically goats are VERY skittish about noise... Rode right past them and they did not even blink. Same thing when I passed a bunch of horses. Either they are used to the noise or it is not a big deal to them.

I will admit... The pipes are way louder than I expected... but that is not really a bad thing. When I pulled into the driveway the other day my wife did not even really notice until I got in the garage and the noise started bouncing off the walls.

At speed the sound does not seem to be all that bad... Seems louder at idle than anything else..

Dunno... between me and my neighbor I am sure someone at the EPA is having a heart attach right now.

And I would still rather hear loud pipes than hear the noise made when the @$$hats in my neighborhood think it is cool to come and do burnouts in the cul-de-sac. You want to talk about inconsiderate? That is just downright RUDE. to the point of one of the other neighbors has taken to putting nails in our driveway because they think it is us... Now... First off this guy is cruising for a blanket party... and second... That is not the way to solve the problem.

Maybe we need to be a little quiter and the whiney pansies that have their knickers in a twist need to relax a little. Somewhere in the middle we should all be able to be happy.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I read all the post and all I got out of the whole thing is that some people like loud and some people don't.We should have just started a thread about guns killing people (they don't) people kill people.I like loud pipes but I don't like rude people.To me it's not the pipes that you should be concerned with it's the person using them.I run Rineharts and they can be loud (when I want them to be) but I'm a considerate person.I hear some folks on here talking about offending drivers and everyone else but what about the folks that hear a set of loud pipes and think,WOW that sounded awesome.I LIVE MY LIFE FOR ME! Back to being offensive.I gotta say that I get offended when a person on a Goldabago or a BMW looks down their nose at me like I'm some kinda POS because I ride a Harley and I choose to have a big goatee.Long story short.We will never agree so why the hell argue about it[sm=deadhorse.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Stucarius
Cruiser

So...Who makes the LOUDEST pipes anyway?

Quick Reply: Loud pipes