General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:44 AM
cam it!
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

Tom,

Thanks for the link and bill number....
I too live in Ct...

Rick C.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: stevent

Where are you getting anger from my post? I'm merely pointing out the contradiction of relying on making a lot of noise for safety while wearing minimal safty gear. You can argue against sound waves and physics all you want but the simple fact is loud pipes are not going to stop some cager from nailing you. Riding skill and situational awareness will, if that's not enough then good safety gear will minimize the damage to a certain extent. Those are proven facts, whether you chose to except them is up to you. I hope you never have to find out.

Loud pipes do however **** off the very people who are going to be happy to vote for and initiate the kind of legislation that we're starting to see now, so in a very real sense your actions are going to affect my ability to enjoy a sport I've been at a long time.
What do you think the percentage of folks with loud pipes that intentionally **** people off with the noise is? I would bet that you are talking about less than 3% of all owners that have pipes that are considered as being excessively loud. Were talking about a very small group. Unless the guy is sitting in front of your house doing burnouts, the noise from loud pipes going by your house is not much longer than a fleeting moment. Were not talking about a huge problem of noise pollution caused by motorcycle riders with loud pipes. It does not matter how loud, how often etc. if a special interest group gets their arms around something like this, regardless of whether they are in the minority or not will make it an issue. What will hurt all of us is when we, the biker community, start pointing fingers at each other and become divided on an issue such as this. To some folks this is about their lifestyle, they live it every day, day in and day out. Its not a hobby or sport to them. They don't limit their riding to Wed. night Bike nights and weekend rides, its a daily part of their lives.

I'm not saying that those people that use the "They save lives" mantra is spot on, but I think in some cases it has merit. See post #75. If it really makes that rider feel any more safe when he rides, so be it. No matter what your doing there is always going to be that person or persons that will create havoc, no matter what. Its life. Expect it. Expect someone to take issue with it.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Stucarius
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

ORIGINAL: carsoni

do loud helmets save lives?

Here's one that won't....lol.[8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1346/A83D6D5E10BF47F7B3EDA34089709E19.jpg[/IMG]
It is stuff like this that my wife says makes her ashamed to be a women. Too funny...

Old 03-21-2006, 08:27 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TM

That's a good one, t-shirt and beanie with loud pipes for safety. Since most accidents that are caused by others are the infamous left turning cager, and sound waves travel behind you the only thing loud pipes do is prevent people from making left turns once your past. I think on the freeway loud pipes might make someone aware of your presence before they lane-change, so in that instance they might help. Of course a little situational awareness and not riding next to cars in the first place would accomplish the same thing.......

I'll take my chances with quieter pipes, riding sober and knowing WTF I'm doing if you don't mind, and a full face helmet and decent riding gear in case that's not enough. so far in 30 years of street riding and over half a million miles It's worked pretty well.

[sm=deadhorse.gif]
Why the anger about loud pipes? If you don't have loud pipes or don't want them, why are you concerned if they are legislated? Why get all bent out of shape about it? No one is trying to tell you that the way you ride is wrong. I don't get the anger. If its about you being right, ok your right. But why insult those that do want loud pipes or have them? Why do you care how they justify it?
I'll take this one..Its simple. Because the legislation the IDIOTS will pass (ie: the sunnuvabitches we voted in) will have cops pulling EVERYONE over without doing a proper db test from the correct distance, at the right angle, with the equipment their supposed to use! If the people who live in your area DONT like motorcycles period, they WILL have YOU off the road period, no questions asked. Extreme exhaust or not. Ask anyone on here who lives in these towns. Just incas e ya havent noticed, not everyone loves the machines or the people who ride them. Go back and read my post on whats happening in Ct. right now. They want 2 noise violations and then the right to REVOKE your motorcycle registration. I can forsee state police doing random road-blocks stopping only motorcycles (this my frynds is called profiling-sound familiar?) this happens in Ct. on a regular basis especially in surrounding towns when Marcus dairy used to hold Super Sunday events.
Clearly, no one is insulting anyone who wishes to have loud pipes or has them. Its not about that. I wouldnt have to guess you dont belong to ABATE or any regional motorcyclist rights orginization.. If my personal right to ride a motorcycle wasnt being violated-and I NEVER was subject to police profiling-and citizen "Joe" never called law enforcement to make numerous complaints, I couldnt give a rats *** if you had loud pipes!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: roadglidin

ORIGINAL: TM

That's a good one, t-shirt and beanie with loud pipes for safety. Since most accidents that are caused by others are the infamous left turning cager, and sound waves travel behind you the only thing loud pipes do is prevent people from making left turns once your past. I think on the freeway loud pipes might make someone aware of your presence before they lane-change, so in that instance they might help. Of course a little situational awareness and not riding next to cars in the first place would accomplish the same thing.......

I'll take my chances with quieter pipes, riding sober and knowing WTF I'm doing if you don't mind, and a full face helmet and decent riding gear in case that's not enough. so far in 30 years of street riding and over half a million miles It's worked pretty well.

[sm=deadhorse.gif]
Why the anger about loud pipes? If you don't have loud pipes or don't want them, why are you concerned if they are legislated? Why get all bent out of shape about it? No one is trying to tell you that the way you ride is wrong. I don't get the anger. If its about you being right, ok your right. But why insult those that do want loud pipes or have them? Why do you care how they justify it?
I'll take this one..Its simple. Because the legislation the IDIOTS will pass (ie: the sunnuvabitches we voted in) will have cops pulling EVERYONE over without doing a proper db test from the correct distance, at the right angle, with the equipment their supposed to use! If the people who live in your area DONT like motorcycles period, they WILL have YOU off the road period, no questions asked. Extreme exhaust or not. Ask anyone on here who lives in these towns. Just incas e ya havent noticed, not everyone loves the machines or the people who ride them. Go back and read my post on whats happening in Ct. right now. They want 2 noise violations and then the right to REVOKE your motorcycle registration. I can forsee state police doing random road-blocks stopping only motorcycles (this my frynds is called profiling-sound familiar?) this happens in Ct. on a regular basis especially in surrounding towns when Marcus dairy used to hold Super Sunday events.
Clearly, no one is insulting anyone who wishes to have loud pipes or has them. Its not about that. I wouldnt have to guess you dont belong to ABATE or any regional motorcyclist rights orginization.. If my personal right to ride a motorcycle wasnt being violated-and I NEVER was subject to police profiling-and citizen "Joe" never called law enforcement to make numerous complaints, I couldnt give a rats *** if you had loud pipes!
What is your problem? If you go back and read my previous post you will see that we agree. I agree with what your saying! As far as your guessing about my involvement, you'd have guessed wrong! I'm just simply saying that pointing fingers at each other about this issue is counter-productive. As far as Ct goes, what do you expect, its one of the most liberal self serving states in the Union. If they had a strong ABATE organization, they might not be having as many problems. You have to get involved and you have to stay involved. How could anyone defend our rights as bikers when all's they have to do is come on places like this and read these kind of threads.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:47 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Oh yeah.....if a loud exhaust is a sign of the need for a ***** extension.....my pipes ARE loud......and as far as my ***** goes....I got enough that if I put it all in yer mouth....you wont be able to say "Take it out"
I just read six pages and this post rules the roost.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:08 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What if the legislators decide that the only pipes that are not too loud are the ones from the factory?[:@]

Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a thunderheader on my SEEG that is so loud it annoys me.... Tried two other exhausts in an attempt to quiet it down, and lost as much as 14hp with the pipe change. I put the TH back on and will run it until someone makes one quieter that will give me the same performance.
It's a performance issue, and has nothing to do with ***** size.....

Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

I am waiting for the EPA to come down on guns next... That would be cool though... I guess we could all get silencers then. [sm=lildevil.gif]

So the EPA is worried about noise... Hmmm... Ever been to Chicago? Ever been next to one of Chicago Transit Authority's (CTA) green limosines? Those things are louder than just about anything on the road.

Illinois also used to have the Air Team (probably still do)... And you have to have your car inspected for exhaust gasses... And if you fail you have to fix it and yada yada... Best part? The CTA is exempt from inspection. So while my car may be 0.01% out of spec I will get hammered... Yet the CTA has hundreds of busses spewing black goo into the air...

Typical government crap... Their laws/rules are made for everyone else but them.

Anyone live near a military base with a flight line? You want to talk about noise? Holy crap. I was doing some work down at Cherry Pointe while they were doing some testing with the Harrier Jumpjets... Holy CRAP!

Or what about the Chanook (Sp?) otherwise known as the Jolly Green Giant. We had one make an emergency landing in Knightdale a few years ago... The dude buzzed half of Knightdale from about 50-75ft above the houses... I thought the end of the world was coming.

Let's face it... The goverment is just pulling another do as I say not as I do thing with this crap.

I do think that at certain hours of the day noises should be kept at a minimum. But for the most part... There are other things in the world to worry about than loud cars, bikes, helicopters, and jets.

When I lived in Chicago I lived in the flight path for Midway... Every two minutes there was a jet overhead... At that point you would pray for a motorcycle with loud pipes just so you could hear something different.

So if they want to ban my bike with pipes than I am going to start sending out a petition to ban airports and airlines from making so much dang noise... They are definately bigger offenders than we could ever be. Oh wait... I am sure the FAA has more clout than the EPA in the government alphabet soup... Maybe we can get that Single Mom with the screaming kid to do the press conference for us.

Anyone notice the absurdities here?

I am waiting for the lawsuit from some @$$hat that decides the guy on the subway next to him has his iPod too loud and it is infringing on his peacful commute so he should get $50,000,000.00 for pain and suffering and a ban on iPod use on the subway.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Gadget
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TM mentioned this post in another post in the off topic forum, so I figured I'd give it a read.

My V&H Side shots are loud. They have the baffles in but they are still loud. And I love them and the sound they give my hog.

Do I care if someone else is "annoyed" by the sound? No. Plain and simple, straight up - no!

I bought my Harley cause that's what I wanted to ride, and having the bike sounding like it was a Harley was a huge part of the buy. With stock pipes, I couldn't hear the exhaust over the sound of the motor. It was that quiet, and I almost felt ashamed that it was that quiet. I've been around them since I was a little kid back in the 60's, and Harleys have always been about the sound.

Disagree? Then why do so many folks feel that the V-Rod and it's different sounding, liquid cooled engine is not the bike for them?

Am I "considerate" when I ride? Maybe. Or maybe it's just my riding habits that make me considerate. I rarely ride out before 9am, and rarely am out later than 9pm. Has nothing to do with my pipes though. That's just my habits - love to sleep in late, and don't stay out late on the bike very often.

Loud pipes save lives? Based on my experience, they do. Less than two weeks ago, I was cruising along when a car starts to pull out in front of me. I pull the clutch and hit the throttle and the guy turns his head and brakes before getting into my lane. Would he have heard the horn instead? Don't know. But I do know that it was my pipes he heard and stopped before I had to make evasive manuevers. That hasn't been the only time I feel my pipes helped - just one of the more recent ones.

As far as laws go. Japan already has put loud pipe laws into effect. Not because of Harleys though. I'm guessing on the average day, I might hear one other harley regardless of where I'm at. But they have these scooters over here, along with mini-crotch rockets and enduros that the young kids and college age kids ride. They are the cause of the noise laws because they put on loud pipes, and then go everywhere rapping the throttle making a crap load of noise while going only 20 miles per hour - going slow on purpose just to make some noise. They intentionally ride around making as much noise as they can, especially on Friday and Sat nights ALL NIGHT LONG. For every Harley with loud pipes there are thousands of these guys. That's why Japan had to make a law. The cops are always chasing them, but they never ever stop a Harley. But then again, you never see guys on harleys riding around at 20mph rapping the throttle all hours of the night either. But then again again, it's not their pipes that **** me off in the middle of the night - it's their RIDING STYLE that pisses me off.

The last thing I have to add is - why anyone would by a Harley Davidson and leave the stock pipes on, is beyond my comprehension. A quiet Harley? I don't get it. Why not buy a BMW or a Gold Wing then?

No need to answer that - it's rhetorical.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes