General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
They are attention whores
36.75%
COOL/BAD biker image
15.06%
They actually like the deafening sound
19.88%
Safety - while wearing a beanie helmet?
7.53%
Performance
20.78%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes

You want laws on loud pipes? **** off the wrong people, bring unwanted attention upon yourself, blast your pipes past your local government representative when he is asleep or when he is in a funeral procession, whatever the situation might be. You want to be arrogant, in your face about the issue and you're not going to win any votes. Folks this issue is being heard in local and state governments across the country. There aren't enough of us out there to turn a vote if we have ticked off those who vote. Its not noise to me (music to my ears) but to others it might be a nuissance. Lets be a bit more considerate before we lose the liberty!

Old 03-19-2006, 10:23 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good point would be to enjoy your pipes without showing your ***!

Old 03-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

well said!

Old 03-20-2006, 01:36 AM
thunderbirdblue2
Tourer

I road behind a bike for about 150 miles with the baffles removed... I was deaf when I got off the bike... They may sound good when your in the saddle but when your behind the bike it is a whole different story...

Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

ORIGINAL: carsoni

do loud helmets save lives?

Here's one that won't....lol.[8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1346/A83D6D5E10BF47F7B3EDA34089709E19.jpg[/IMG]
Hey! Is she coming or going?

Old 03-20-2006, 08:54 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Cigar Aggie

You want laws on loud pipes? **** off the wrong people, bring unwanted attention upon yourself, blast your pipes past your local government representative when he is asleep or when he is in a funeral procession, whatever the situation might be. You want to be arrogant, in your face about the issue and you're not going to win any votes. Folks this issue is being heard in local and state governments across the country. There aren't enough of us out there to turn a vote if we have ticked off those who vote. Its not noise to me (music to my ears) but to others it might be a nuissance. Lets be a bit more considerate before we lose the liberty!
Thank you! Well put.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: stevent

That's a good one, t-shirt and beanie with loud pipes for safety. Since most accidents that are caused by others are the infamous left turning cager, and sound waves travel behind you the only thing loud pipes do is prevent people from making left turns once your past. I think on the freeway loud pipes might make someone aware of your presence before they lane-change, so in that instance they might help. Of course a little situational awareness and not riding next to cars in the first place would accomplish the same thing.......

I'll take my chances with quieter pipes, riding sober and knowing WTF I'm doing if you don't mind, and a full face helmet and decent riding gear in case that's not enough. so far in 30 years of street riding and over half a million miles It's worked pretty well.

[sm=deadhorse.gif]
Why the anger about loud pipes? If you don't have loud pipes or don't want them, why are you concerned if they are legislated? Why get all bent out of shape about it? No one is trying to tell you that the way you ride is wrong. I don't get the anger. If its about you being right, ok your right. But why insult those that do want loud pipes or have them? Why do you care how they justify it?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

I just couldn't leave that one alone (insomnia). I'm not insulting anyone. The guys that are upset seem to be the ones that have loud pipes. And when government legislates, our idea of loud maybe entirely different than theirs. Does anyone want more rules and regulations for bikes? Think that is a resounding NO. So what can be done to minimize the need for mr. legislator to want to shove down your throat his solution for noise? Tell him to stick it? That works wonders.......Again, I love hearing Harleys 24 hours a day and when I first heard this as an issue I said you can't be serious...and there are a bunch that are.....

Old 03-21-2006, 04:00 AM
stevent
Road Master

Where are you getting anger from my post? I'm merely pointing out the contradiction of relying on making a lot of noise for safety while wearing minimal safty gear. You can argue against sound waves and physics all you want but the simple fact is loud pipes are not going to stop some cager from nailing you. Riding skill and situational awareness will, if that's not enough then good safety gear will minimize the damage to a certain extent. Those are proven facts, whether you chose to except them is up to you. I hope you never have to find out.

Loud pipes do however **** off the very people who are going to be happy to vote for and initiate the kind of legislation that we're starting to see now, so in a very real sense your actions are going to affect my ability to enjoy a sport I've been at a long time.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:45 AM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well put! We must draw the line between good Harley sound and excessive shreaking noice[:@].
And most of all, we must learn how to drive. Not only safe, but also conciderate.
It's not neccesary to go on high revs in populated areas at nights.
I always try to be on low revs and let my Samsons cradle people to sleep with a soft mellow lullaby when driving when other people sleeps[8D]
ORIGINAL: stevent

Where are you getting anger from my post? I'm merely pointing out the contradiction of relying on making a lot of noise for safety while wearing minimal safty gear. You can argue against sound waves and physics all you want but the simple fact is loud pipes are not going to stop some cager from nailing you. Riding skill and situational awareness will, if that's not enough then good safety gear will minimize the damage to a certain extent. Those are proven facts, whether you chose to except them is up to you. I hope you never have to find out.

Loud pipes do however **** off the very people who are going to be happy to vote for and initiate the kind of legislation that we're starting to see now, so in a very real sense your actions are going to affect my ability to enjoy a sport I've been at a long time.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes