General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach bike week...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Aeromech
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myrtle Beach bike week...

Got my room at the Sea mist in MB... Looking forward to the ralley.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts
Default RE: Myrtle Beach bike week...

ORIGINAL: Aeromech

Got my room at the Sea mist in MB... Looking forward to the ralley.
&nbsp\\;
for the fall rally?&nbsp\\; Make sure you can cancel without penalties.&nbsp\\; Read some stuff where MB founding fathers were trying to get rid of their bikeweek... only the spring one was mentioned, not sure if the fall bikeweek was affected or not.... but be sure you can cancel your reservations without penalty, just in case...
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

&nbsp\\; The Mayor made an announcement in regard to the Rally stating his city would be better of without Motorcycle Rallies.&nbsp\\; Why go to a city who doesn't want ya?&nbsp\\; I'll find somewhere else.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Aeromech
Cruiser

Saw it on their website, talked to some local bikers and they said no way they'll&nbsp\\;stop the rally. Only a handful want it to end. Revenues always win over, although I can cancel 15 days prior, so I'll keep an eye on it. And besides, a weekend to get away, either way I'm going.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
REX HD
Cruiser

I live there and I don't think it will fly....the CITY LIMITS of MB have a very small reach i.e., they are all bark and no bite.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It would take significant restrictions at the COUNTY level to really do any damage.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; And even then....Georgetown county line right after the Murrels Inlet Mall...and you could move everything (read: vendors) into Murrells Inlet, effectively avoiding Horry with minimal location disturbance.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hell, SuckBangBlow is literally 5 minutes from the county borders....

The "get rid of the rally" concept in Myrtle is like a chihuahua charging a Rhino.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Aeromech
Cruiser

You stated what many other locals have\\; Not gonna happen! I'm coming up from Bluffton, and have my sites on MB come Oct. See ya there..........

Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 AM
marshal862
3rd Gear

Hopefully this is just a bunch of politicians trying to appease a FEW of their constituents. Surfside Beach just this week&nbsp\\;passed a moratorium on issuing vendor permits for two years but they did not have that many to begin with. The biggest question is what will Horry County do, the head of the County Council originally said they would follow whatever City of Myrtle Beach did, now she is backpedaling a bit. There is a fundraiser at SBB 4 Corners next week for those that support the rallies. The Myrtle Beach City Council has already passed a tax increase in a feeble attempt to make up for some of the revenue that would be lost IF they were able to squash the rallies. Hopefully Horry County will have some nads and do what is right and not just follow what the city does. I will keep you posted but you can find info at the Harley site. www.myrtlebeachharley.com or www.myrtlebeachonline.com. It is possible that the biggest problems stem from the Atlantic Beach Bikefest over Memorial Day, not the Harley rallies&nbsp\\;but you will not hear that mentioned in the news or from the politicians