General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

113 degrees today what do you do to stay cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: 113 degrees today what do you do to stay cool?

Supposed to be 108 tomorrow in the area I'll be riding.&nbsp\\; Have a cooling vest, neck coolers, &nbsp\\;and mesh jack that's about it.&nbsp\\;and took the lowers off my Ultra for Air flow (looks naked [&:]).&nbsp\\; Best bet? Leave early....Stop Early.&nbsp\\; I should be where I'm going about noon.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

111 degrees today on the way to work.&nbsp\\; The best I can do is sleeve less, but I havent found a sun block that truly works yet!!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:36 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's the stop and go traffic in anything hotter than 85 that starts to get to me.&nbsp\\; By the time the temp hits 90, especially if traffic is heavy, I start getting grumpy.&nbsp\\; To cool off ...

1. Find a beer cooler (walk in style) and stand in it.
2. Find a stock pond or tank and dunk in it (obiously you big city boys wont' know what these are)
3. Drive up to a car wash and ask someone spraying their car to hit you just once ... then drive away
4. Find some kids playing the sprinkler and drive through it
5. Buy a small bag of ice (usually under $1 around here) and put it under your shirt/vest (with a little dribbling down the pants)
6. Turn off that dang 96ci lean-running engine and tie a rope to the bumper of the car in front of you ... let them pull you in clean air.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 AM
Pendragon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its can get to 130 here in the sun at noon, normally not that bad but very hot nontheless with the humidity factor in there as well...
&nbsp\\;
I have found that although counterintuitive the more covered up you are the less hot you get... I wear the hydration vest, a mesh jacket, soaked bandanna around my face and on my head, and I have one of those camelback bags full of iced water so i can drink on the go...
&nbsp\\;
Wouldn't stop riding because of the heat!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to admit, from Nov to the end of March I envy you folks down south, but I don't know how you do it in the summer months. I get&nbsp\\;4 months of riding in the 50 - 60 degree range and 3 months of riding in high 70's - 80's range.........guess it's all what your body gets used to.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I do try to avoid riding in the peak periods of the day when hottest, but assuming i have to then as said above - drink LOTS of fluids. I wear 50SPF sunblock on my neck and face and a long-sleeved white cotton shirt to keep from getting fried by the sun.
&nbsp\\;
Stop every hour and chug a large bottle of Gatoraid and you'll be fine. Keep a couple spare bottles in the saddle bags in case you end up stranded or have to stop and help a fellow rider who's at the roadside.
&nbsp\\;
My next helmet will be an HJC half helmet in WHITE rather than black. I think it's more visible to others and also doesnt absorb the heat as much as black or other darker colors.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the nearest river. remove my boots, socks and wallet and walk right in. Evaporative cooling isd the way to go!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

EASY, GO FASTER!

100° = 100 mph
113° = 113 mph

Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
panamoncreel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone want to meet up with me during my ride through Joshua Tree in August?? &nbsp\\;

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hydrate constantly, cover skin. It worked for me in the Army, and works for me in New Mexico!

Quick Reply: 113 degrees today what do you do to stay cool?