General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some honest advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008 | 07:52 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Default RE: Need some honest advice

I have gone to college three times. When I was 18, 28, and 48. Each time it was harder.
&nbsp\\;
I wished I'd finished all of it the first time. If I had, I'd have more motorcycles now.
&nbsp\\;
Before you sell the bike, use it to get your motorcycle license. Sell it, and if you miss it, use it for motivation to finish school and get a better job. If you make an extra $20k per year with a degree, think about how much more you'll have made in ten years. Enough to pay cash for about ten bikes (sorta ).

Old 07-09-2008 | 09:07 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

Go to school. regardless of what you do with the bike, or the car. First things first, you aren't going anywhere without an education.

Old 07-09-2008 | 09:24 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

In my opinion, you gotta figure out if your still a child or an adult. i dont say that with any malice at all, but you HAVE to at some point grab life by the ***** and JUST FRIGGEN DO IT. I was 20 years old, and had washed out of college, living on my buddies couch, no skills, no future. I knew that it was about as hopless as spot to be in.

On that couch one night I had a chat with myself. I could either continue they way I was living, working a minimum wage job and keep feeling sorry for myself for screwing up a chance at college, or I could go out there, man the f*ck up and do what it took to make something for myself. I was getting tired of the couch.

I called my mom up the next day, made amends with her and moved back home. Enrolled in Universal Technical Institute and learned how to work on cars. I went from 4-5 hours a day at work and sklacking the rest of the time to school starting at 6:30 am, rushing to work at 2:30 pm, and finally getting home at 10PM. I did that for a year and a half STRAIGHT everyday of the work week. Saturday's I got to work from 7am to 5pm. sunday was the only day I had off.

Two years after I graduated from UTI, Im now a Senior certified Lexus technician. Im 1 year away from being Master Lexus certified and I need just two more classes and 4 more ASE's. Took me 4 years to go from couchguy to a guy with a future and a few toys. My point in telling you that story about me was to show you that you have a HELL of alot better starting point than I did. You HAVE to get it done. You HAVE to decide RIGHT NOW if your adolescent years are behind you and that your ready to live in the REAL world.

You can afford that Harley, trust me. I had really bad credit, but I wanted a Harely really bad. I knew that I would have to work hard at work to be able to afford my bike. I had developed a love for riding being on my sportster for only a few weeks but I had a calling for that Fatboy I had been wanting since I was a kid. Talked with the guys at Harley to work some numbers to see if i could get off the Sporty and on to a Fatboy. Knowing I could be on a Fatboy put a sense of commitment in me to do what it takes to get my ride. Bet your AZZ it lit a fire under mine! Rode to Tucson HD on my old Sportster and left on my Fatboy. My payment more than doubled cause of the outstanding balance on the Sporty, but I accepted it. I did it with a smile too because now I really DID have something to work for!

Keep the bike, get a second job to pay for school. Take advantage of the fact that you still get to live with mom and dad. Community college is cheap and the best way to get your gen eds out of the way for that 4 years college degree. No sens paying full price for generic classes.

What it comes down to is you gotta ask yourself, how much time and effort are you willing to put in to have the things that you want? You can have your Harley and a college education at the same time. Your gonna have to work your *** off for it but you can do it.

Whats your choice?

(Im 25 now btw)

EDIT: Get your damn M1 motorcycle license too! Not hard and SERIOUSLY a good idea. Next time you get pulled over they could impound your bike! Then your REALLY fraked!

Old 07-09-2008 | 09:46 PM
lanny
Cruiser

We probably scared the poor thing...He hasnt replied yet...
He's standing in line for the next enrollment.

98% is saying to go back to school as we have and had the experience.
2% are the ones that dont care much what happens to them later on.

Follow your gutt feeling, it's never wrong...

Old 07-09-2008 | 10:46 PM
intempestivus
Cruiser

Get out of debt and go to school. You can get another bike later but if you saddle yourself with debt now and don't have the skills to increase your income you will be in the same situation 10 years from now. I had the same basic decision to make when I was just a little older than you are now and take my word for it, school (whether it's a degree program, a trade, or apprenticeship)&nbsp\\;will pay off in the long run. At 42 I'm a certified machinist with a master's degree in business. I own a company now and I pay cash for my toys. If you know what you want to do, put your mind to being the best you can be at it and success will come. And keep in mind, debt always limits your options so live as debt free as possible.

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:39 AM
Hester
Intermediate

It's called DELAYED GRATIFICATION.&nbsp\\; When I graduated high school and started working, I could have started buying stuff ("stuff" is generic for consumer goods) and living beyond my means.&nbsp\\; Instead, I drove the rusted out chevy Nova and spent all of my money on books and tuition.&nbsp\\; Today, I am an attorney/real estate broker with a Mercedes, a Porsche, and a Harley Davidson in the garage.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;