General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some honest advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need some honest advice

Join the Army. Go to school while you are in, finish when you get out. (Or just stay in and finish school.)

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Get out from underneath the loan.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;See if you can&nbsp\\;find someone to assume the loan from you.&nbsp\\; Consider the money you already spent on the bike as a lease.&nbsp\\; Go to college and get a bike later when you can afford one.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

step one, get the pay-off price for your bke, then try selling the bike for a little more, but check out cycle trader or craigslist for an idea what they sell for in your area
step two, go back to school, get that education
step three , quit scrwing around and get your motorcycle endorsement (it's far more expensive to not have one)
step, when you get your act together... buy a USED bike.... and here's a little known secret.... the wind is as free on a metric, the ice cream as sweet, the BBQ as tasty....get yourself a Honda or whatever... the real riders you hang with won't mind.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

If you think education is expensive...try ignorance.

That's not an original thought but it is true. Do whatever it takes to get your education. My wife worked full time, raised 3 kids, and went to college part time for 10 years until she got her BS degree. She is now in a job she enjoys at a salary that was double what she was making before. It can be done. Toys are toys. Life is what is real.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

My .02
&nbsp\\;
Dump the bike and go to school.
&nbsp\\;
MikeM
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 PM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other side of the coin is for each one of these good advice givens who finally are ridein again,&nbsp\\;there are 100 guys that used to ride and quit to get their education so they could ride later, and they still aint ridein!!&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Im a dam good Harley wrench now cause I rode older Harleys for years till I finally got where I could buy new.&nbsp\\; I quit ridein for 2 years while I went back to school and was totally miserable.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I Finally&nbsp\\;bought myself an old Sportster and afforded to go to school and ride too.&nbsp\\; Point being I was doin what I needed to do and doin what I loved to do also.&nbsp\\; And Ive been ridein nearly 40years since.&nbsp\\; and the funny thing is NOW, I try and spend more time on the bike on the road&nbsp\\;than at my big beautiful house.
&nbsp\\; Life is compermises and workin things out.&nbsp\\; good luck kid

Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
05Hog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find youself a Cougar with a BIG pocketbook and keep the bike. Like many said STAY IN SCHOOL!! It's easier to buy a bike at thirty than going back to school.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

You dont say what you plan on takin in college.I had a lot of people workin for me that had degrees that didnt do squat for them.Depending on what you want to do an apprenticeship may allow you to better your future and keep your bike.Not everyone who goes to school gets a great job.If waiting a year would allow you to keep your bike,id get a second job and pay it off.You are young and a year may allow you more time to figure out what you really want to do.Im not knocking school,just make sure its something you want to do and make sure it has a future.Plumbers make more then teachers

Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're unsure of what you really want to&nbsp\\;do.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Check ou the cumminity college and take one or two courses of your basic courses that won't change your&nbsp\\;current work schedule.&nbsp\\; You're at home so your living&nbsp\\;expenses will only get more.&nbsp\\; the parents shouldn't give you&nbsp\\;a hard time if your working and taking college.&nbsp\\; The nice thing about the CC is that you'll have some&nbsp\\;a broad range of ages in thoses classes so you will&nbsp\\;a better perspective than going to a traditional 4 yr university were (almost) everyone is your age with no realworld experience.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Read 90% of the posts, so if I cross over the top of another, sorry.
B4 you go any further, let me say, you are already in school. The School Of Hard Knocks.
Been there (too many times), done that (too many times)
Try to find someone to take over the payments, if possible. As stated, use Craig's list or Cycle Trader, and see what happens. Hopefully you can get out of it w/o a blood bath, but the wound will heal, and you will come out the other end, we always do.
If you HAVE to go into debt, do it for the education. They can repo the scoot, but no one can take away knowledge and education, once you have it.
I hate banks, I hate credit card cos., I hate making payments. I learned how to wrench as a kid, and&nbsp\\;I pay cash for my scoots, or I don't buy and ride.
At 19, you have a lot of living in front of you.&nbsp\\;Plenty of time to putt with your face in the wind, TRUST ME on that one. And if not, none of us will be doing it. Good luck, BUT get that education behind your eyeballs, and ride later.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Need some honest advice