Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
elamey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

Like many of you, I am looking for a solution to the wind buffeting issue. I have a 2006 Street Bob and pretty much cannot wear a helmet as it vibrates from the wind buffeting so badly I can't see. I was at the dealership a couple of three weekneds ago and saw the softtail chrome wind deflectors(58125-90B)&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ;and started thinking......I could make a bracket that attached the deflectors to the clipon windshield. So they can come off with the windshield as needed.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ;
I've done two main things.
1. Ground down the bracket holes that attach the clip on windshield so I can lean/rake the windshield back closer to me. This helped with the buffeting some....maybe 10%. You may not have to do that but it helped some and I suspect helped a GREAT deal with the deflectors on.
2. I bought the Softail chrome wind deflectors, made some brackets out of flat bar from lowes. I did have to buy a Dremel and cut the windshield, but it's not as scary as I thought it would be. I took a little at a time and gained confidence in cutting it. BTW, if you cut the acrylic, you need to remove the melted remnants as soon as possible. Just be careful, I burned the heck out of my fingers grabbing it too soon after the cut. If you let the remnants completely cool, it can re-melt back into the windshield and leave cloudy areas when you clean it up later. I have a couple of very small cloudy areas from letting the melted remnants sit too long.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ;
This is proof of concept so be kind on the (lack of) craftsmanship. Just to head of some criticisms.
1. The allthread is going to go (I used all thread as a horizontal stabilizer just below the headlight. That will be threaded roundbar on the final application.
2. The whole thing, brackets and deflectors are getting powder coated texture black like the engine case and handle bars
3. I'm going to tidy up the brackets, trim off excess, round corners etc....
First test drive was only 10 minutes before the rain hit. Did it work? Yes....the buffeting was only 10% or so of what it was. I was crazy happy!! I tested it with my&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\;3/4 Harley helmet. Up to 55-60 almost no helmet movement, at 70mph a little movement, but quite acceptable as my vision was not impared like before with no wind deflectors.
Here are some pictures....if&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\;I get some interest, I will write a more complete document with more pictures and post it. I have to take it apart to send it to powder coat anyway. Let me know by PM or posting. Here are the pics...first time posted a URL and used photobucket so&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;if it doesn't work, let me know,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;i'll&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\;figure&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;it out and fix it.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
FYI - Ignore the attachemt link and go here....I've started uploading the pics, some are there, but give an hour or so for all of them ot upload.
http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q322/hdbob_2006

Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Wind buffeting solution...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

Actually this might be the link to your pics.

http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q322/hdbob_2006/

If not, maybe

http://photobucket.com/hdbob_2006

I've never had the type of buffeting you're dealing with so I'm not sure what to say. Glad you're figuring it out.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
elamey
Cruiser
Default RE: Wind buffeting solution...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

Sorry...just fixed the link...I hope
The buffeting that rattles your helmet when using a windshield. The wind comes up from under the windshield and rattles helmets so bad you can't see. Prolly not an issue on baggers if that is your ride.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try doing a backing plate behind the headlight. It worked will for me. Plus the tank lifts keep the air flow&nbsp\\;under the tank.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
cadman311
Club Member

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Default RE: Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

hey elamey
that looks like a pretty damn good idea! how's it hold up under wind loading?
&nbsp\\;
i dont particularly like the look of the chrome deflectors but if i could make
them detachable with my nostalgia windshield i would do it just for longer trips
as I have a compact windshield for shorter runs.
&nbsp\\;
not enough time in the day though. you should design and sell a one piece unit
that extends down like that but is perhaps made of smoked lexan. I would buy it.
&nbsp\\;
nice going

Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Default RE: Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

I put 20k on it last year. Now I&nbsp\\;have the Road Glide and took all that stuff off. It worked great. I did have the tank raise and air flow under the tank.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 925 Posts

Mine stay on all the time. My windshield is a National Cycles quick detach. The deflectors attach to the quick detach brackets but stay on the bike when the windshield is removed. It's worth it as buffeting is totaly gone. The only question I have for you is if the brackets on your windshield are strong enough to hold the additional wind pressure from the deflectors. Just a thought.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
cadman311
Club Member

If look at any National Cycle windshields They have a smaller put of plastic shield over the headlight for adjustment. You can raise your shield plus add a smaller piece of shield around the top of head light. To block more air.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
elamey
Cruiser

Tank lift coming next week...I have to install a new brake line because the 2006 Street Bob came with that solid brake line thingy PITA. In reference to the color/chrome. I'm going to have them powder coated when i'm happy with the final design. I chose the hd parts because it took minimal fabrication but lexan is a VERY good idea.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.