General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

I'm dumbfounded by all of this. We have 2 Heritages with stock windshields, a Wide Glide
with the HD aftermarket windshield, and a Deuce with a Windvest windshield. I've never
experienced the problem you're having. The only shield in the bunch that has an
adjustable tilt angle is the Windvest and I did have to play with that. It turned out that
I had to tilt it farther forward, not backward to smooth things out. I also put a leather
handlebar bag on it which stopped wind from coming up from underneath the shield. It's
as smooth as can be now.

I do notice in pics of bikes in this thread that some have leather bags at the bottom
of the windhields and I don't know if that's helping you guys the way mine does.

$.02 because I've never seen this big of a problem on any bike before, but what do I know?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:38 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.

Doesn't look too bad,, do the deflectors have any side to side movement,, I don't see any strength in the flat bar for side to side pressure??? You tested up to 70 mph I think,, make sure they are good and test out o-k for stronger cross winds and stronger head winds??&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fabrication&nbsp\\;the lexan if you like some bend to it use the oven to shape.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people must be more sensitive to the buffeting than others.&nbsp\\; I can't believe the physics are that much different between bikes and windscreens.&nbsp\\; I'd guess we all get about the same amount of buffeting.&nbsp\\; It just bothers some more than others.&nbsp\\; It used to bother me more than it does now.&nbsp\\; I guess I'm just used to it.&nbsp\\; Same with the wind noise.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did something similar on my Sporty with Memphis lowers. It was simple and cheap (I didn't want to pay the $65+shipping for the Memphis Shades proprietary mounting kit, which was leave-behind anyway). See it here: https://www.hdforums.com/m_3442064/tm.htm

I've gone over 100mph with this set-up and had it on a couple of 1000+ mile road trips. No problems.

Ken, it's not that the bikes or windshields are that different. It's the riders and the helmets. FWIW, I get no buffeting with a full-face, a fair amount with a flip-up (when cosed), a lot with a half-helmet.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
cadman311
Club Member

ken go ride a dyna

Old 07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

Some people must be more sensitive to the buffeting than others.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I can't believe the physics are that much different between bikes and windscreens.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I'd guess we all get about the same amount of buffeting.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; It just bothers some more than others.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; It used to bother me more than it does now.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I guess I'm just used to it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Same with the wind noise.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I think it's bike, shield &amp\\; helmet dependent. Mine was sooooo bad everything was blurry at speeds over 40mph but only with my shield on. Without it, which is 80% of the time, I have no buffeting problems. Put on the shield &amp\\; it's double vision. Then I added the lower wind deflectors &amp\\;\\\\\\; the buffeting vanished. I think the Softail Std &amp\\; a large shield just pushes more air out &amp\\; down which channels under the tank &amp\\; up your chest til it smacks you in the head. Other bikes may direct the wind to a different path limiting the buffeting effect. M2 cents.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM
cadman311
Club Member

If you do a search under dyna windshields So many people have had this same problem those detachable for dyna's. They make a headlight front like&nbsp\\;what is on ken thompson bike for the dyna's and then you can do a road king shield type. I play with kicking the shield out at the bottom about 1 1/2" to get the rake about right. The lowrider sit with short rake.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
elamey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buffeting was so bad I couldn't see with over 50ish with a 3/4 helmet or a full face. But like a previous post, only with the windshield on.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
elamey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: John TN

Doesn't look too bad,, do the deflectors have any side to side movement,, I don't see any strength in the flat bar for side to side pressure??? You tested up to 70 mph I think,, make sure they are good and test out o-k for stronger cross winds and stronger head winds??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
I think it will look much better after powder coating. Zoom in on the headlight area, you will see&nbsp\\; a horizontal stabilizer below the headlight. Right now it's a piece of all thread with two lock nuts on each end (shame...). I'm going to fab up a piece of 5/16 roundbar this weekend, thread it and use that, make it look a little more professional. I didn't even try it without a horizontal stabilizer. I was afraid it would move so much it would get in the spokes or something. I'm with you, I don't think the flatbar would have enough stability on it's own.
&nbsp\\;
It was rock solid at 70mph. I'm going to get it all locked down and finalized this week and try a 4-5 hour day with it Saturday. I'm going to do a couple of hours out on the interstate, so i'll get a good idea of it's stability in crosswinds and wrasslin' with semi's.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting solution..Dyna w/HDClipon...proof of concept photos...work in progress.