General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumped my bike/ care to share?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:16 AM
ripw4
|
Tourer
Default dumped my bike/ care to share?

Well I knew that it had to happen eventually and I guess today was as good a day as any to dump my bike.
Attempting a U turn on a narrow street when my front tire got caught in a parrallel street drain. Jerked my scoot right out from under me.
&nbsp\\;
LUCKY PART...The only thing that was hurt (other than my pride) was my willie skull derby cover. Already ordered a new one..
&nbsp\\;
Hopefully ...and thats a big hopefully ... I will have no more "accidents"
&nbsp\\;
I feel more like a moron than anything for having a wreck at 10 miles an hour.&nbsp\\; Im just grateful that Im not hurt and the bike is pretty much unscathed!
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So..who else has some embarrassing bike accident stories?

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:42 AM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum
Default RE: dumped my bike/ care to share?

I dropped my Kawasaki the first time I tried to ride it in a parking lot, learning how to ride.&nbsp\\; I was just riding in straight lines, and walking it around corners, and I got over confident and tried to ride it around a turn.&nbsp\\; I almost hit a curb, and opted to lay it down instead.&nbsp\\; I didn't break anything, but I hurt for weeks!
&nbsp\\;
Then I dropped the Buell in Riders Edge class a few weeks later!&nbsp\\; Low sided after locking up the brakes during swerving lessons.&nbsp\\; Since I did that in front of the whole class, I stood up and took a bow.&nbsp\\; You need to have a sense of humor about these things, you know?
&nbsp\\;
So far, I've managed to keep the Low Rider upright!&nbsp\\; (knock on wood!)
&nbsp\\;
Sorry to hear about your mishap.&nbsp\\; Glad you are OK and didn't do any real damage to your bike.
&nbsp\\;
Stay safe!!

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:08 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

It happens dude. Sucks but these things happen but you just gotta roll with it and learn from your mistake. I went down leaving work after a long day. doing just about 20mph and saw a car unexpectedly pull out from behind a parked car. applied both brakes. Unfortunately I was on a downslope at an angle and my front tire (worn)locked up after hiting a slick old patch of paint. Didnt hit any cars and nothing mechanical happened to the bike but...

Went down on the right side. Scratched my front fender on the right front edge down to the metal, slight bend in my bars, destroyed my right mirror, scratched up my OEM headlight bezel, had the turn signal bulb put a nasty dent in my tank and the lens was gouged up, and scraped the left front corner of my master cylinder. My right tricep hurt like a MOTHER for about 3 days after.

Its been about 3 months. replaced the mirror, headlight bezel and lenses a few days after the fall. Just had the dent in my tank taken out today paintless, and got my fender to the body guy for the dealership I work at. All thats left is to replace the master asembly, and get some 16" apes and she will be back to normal.

3 months and lots of cussing to get her back to where she is now. You lucked out just needing a new derby cover!

Old 07-08-2008 | 06:03 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Back in February I had just come back from a ride on an unusually warm day.&nbsp\\; The bike had salt on it from the roads and I had to rinse it off.&nbsp\\; I had a choice to make: unreel about 75 feet of garden hose and drag it to the driveway, or ride the bike across the wet lawn to where the hose was so I wouldn't have to roll up all that hose when I was done.&nbsp\\; I did not choose wisely...
&nbsp\\;
No damage at all.&nbsp\\; No witnesses either, but&nbsp\\;I wasn't able to sneak past the wife to get my muddy clothes into the wash before I had to explain why I had a sudden interest in learning how to use the washer.

Old 07-08-2008 | 06:46 AM
BobbyD
Road Warrior

Dropping sucks, but I have been there also.&nbsp\\; Cold December morning and was bringing the bike home for the FIRST time.&nbsp\\; Got onto my street and didn't see "the other" patch of snow.&nbsp\\; Front wheel hit it and I hit the ground.&nbsp\\; A couple scratches to the bike (everything was fixed) and I received a broken collar out of it.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:35 AM
ripw4
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ebeattie

&nbsp\\;and get some 16" apes and she will be back to normal.

&nbsp\\;
I have some 16 inch apes for sale in the parts for sale forum..lol

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:47 AM
cray49a
Road Master

If that is your first time, you're doing better than probably all of us.&nbsp\\; No since in giving any details.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:48 AM
johnica
Advanced

It's going to happen to (almost) all of us. I have never gone down, but I know the day will come, just have to stay ready and keep your close calls in mind. I have had a couple so that tought me to stay on my toes and watch out. Because of those I feel that I ride better than some/most 'older' guys-I'm 23. Glad you came out okay.

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:59 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Pulling into my buddy's driveway, I didn't see the fresh, deep gravel that had been laid down by the township along the sides of his road (he's rural, and has a gravel driveway to boot), and dumped Reaper in front of about a dozen people doing probably 5 mph! I was "lucky", that the air cleaner landed on my knee and prevented a lot of damage to the bike (chipped my kneecap though!). My apes got bent, though, and the right front turn signal got scratched up a bit.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:07 AM
Novice
Tourer

Welcome to the club.&nbsp\\; Had the bike a week and was backing (rolling) it into my stone driveway when my left foot slid right out - and down we went. Minor damage to bike, major damage to pride.

Quick Reply: dumped my bike/ care to share?