General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumped my bike/ care to share?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:14 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior
Default RE: dumped my bike/ care to share?

Parked my Fatboy on a hill at the St Tropez European Hog Rally a couple of years ago and when I went to put the bike in gear lost my balance and right over in front of a whole crowd. They managed to stifle their laughter long enough to help me get the bike upright.
At the same rally I attempted a quick getaway with a disk lock still on. Luckily there was an on site repair shop. Eventful and expensive trip.

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:31 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

I had an issue going in the driveway of a new industrial complex. But the driveway wasnt finished and I went down at walking speed. Banged up the bezel on the right passing light.
The only reason nothing else got damaged is because I elected to use my leg to protect the bike from the concrete.
The scariest part was looking at the ground as it came up at me. I'm glad I was wearing a 3/4 with a face shield when I kissed.
A skid lid and I'd still be looking for the rest of my nose planted somewhere on the back of my head.

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:32 AM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Got my bike in late April last year (my first and only bike).&nbsp\\; Two weeks later I had the brand new windshield, saddle bags and sissy bar put on.&nbsp\\; That was on a Thursday, on Saturday I decided that I was bored with riding on our dead end street and around the neighborhood, so I decided to ride the bike on a few errands within 10 miles of home.&nbsp\\; BIG mistake.&nbsp\\; Got to a 4 way stop intersection, got nervous because everyone was waiting for me to make my left turn, so I went.&nbsp\\; Gunned the throttle, thought to myself that was stupid, so I gunned it again.&nbsp\\; Wound up in the grassy ditch on the side of the road.&nbsp\\; Luckily the only damage to the bike was some scratches on the lower left portion of my brand new windshield.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I had a sprained wrist and a bruised knee.&nbsp\\; I was LUCKY. It was really embarrassing...there must have been about 25 cars at that intersection watching me pull this stunt.&nbsp\\; Thankfully they were all strangers.&nbsp\\; HAHAHA
&nbsp\\;
Anyway welcome to the club!

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:02 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Yep, I joined the club about 3 weeks ago after 7 years of riding.&nbsp\\; It happens to pretty much all of us.&nbsp\\; Glad you are ok and weren't hurt (my ankle still hurts a little), and that your damage was minimal.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Be careful out there!&nbsp\\; It doesn't take much to make our lives a living hell!

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:17 PM
rguilbert
Cruiser

I'll say just&nbsp\\;two words........ loose sand [:@]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; No damage to me or the bike, just the ego! [&:]

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:31 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

The one and only time Da Cap'n got close to the ground, was pulling up in front of the Bond Slaves clubhouse. The throttle cable is a tad long, and got hooked on one of the bolts on the girder. When I went to turn the front end straight (backing into curb), the girder pulled the throttle almost wide open. I am still in gear, and my key is under the LEFT side of the gas tank. Can't let go with left hand to turn off key. Try to reach over with right hand, motor screaming for mercy, bike starts for the deck. Got to the key, and am holding the scoot about 10"s off the deck. Never touched the ground, but I was straining my milk to say the least. And in front of about 30 - 40 patched members of an MC. Luckily none of them can run or own a&nbsp\\;camera. Can you say, felt so small, able to hide under a cigarette butt?&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:51 PM
Mr_taterhead
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

Got my bike in late April last year (my first and only bike).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Two weeks later I had the brand new windshield, saddle bags and sissy bar put on.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; That was on a Thursday, on Saturday I decided that I was bored with riding on our dead end street and around the neighborhood, so I decided to ride the bike on a few errands within 10 miles of home.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; BIG mistake.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Got to a 4 way stop intersection, got nervous because everyone was waiting for me to make my left turn, so I went.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Gunned the throttle, thought to myself that was stupid, so I gunned it again.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Wound up in the grassy ditch on the side of the road.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Luckily the only damage to the bike was some scratches on the lower left portion of my brand new windshield.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I had a sprained wrist and a bruised knee.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I was LUCKY. It was really embarrassing...there must have been about 25 cars at that intersection watching me pull this stunt.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thankfully they were all strangers.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; HAHAHA
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Anyway welcome to the club!
&nbsp\\;
This happened to me the first DAY I rode my first bike...in my neighborhood....made a left hand turn in what I thought was first gear...pulled out and the engine started to lug...I gassed it in the turn...low sided then high sided...only damage was scratched engine guards and a bent exhaust tip.&nbsp\\; Oh and then there was my leg.&nbsp\\; I was wearing shorts and my mustang saddle gave me the most painful burn I have ever had on the inside of my thigh.

Old 07-08-2008 | 02:03 PM
crazyman
Advanced

First day ever riding, I was on my Yamaha VStar 1100. I had no idea how to turn around in the street. I was duck-walking a three point turn. I learned NOT to hit the front brake with the wheel turned. Bam! Got up. Tried to turn again at the other end of the block. BAM!
Embarrassed. Oh yeah. I learned to ride a bike in about 4 hours. The hard way.
Took the MSF course 2 weeks later, aced it.

Old 07-08-2008 | 03:29 PM
vega823
Road Master

&nbsp\\;
Had my new 2008 Super Glide Custom for one month, just got back from a 4 hour ride to the Jersey Shore and was turning on the corner of my block when a woman in an SUV started backing into the intersection.&nbsp\\; I promptly forgot everything I learned in the MSF course about emergency stops during a turn&nbsp\\;and grabbed a handful of front brake.&nbsp\\; Bike went straight down, I went straight.&nbsp\\; My neighbor saw the whole thing from across the street and while I was getting up accessing the damage to my knees and hands, he was cussing her out for forcing me wide toward the curb.
No major damage to myself, but the bike took a few nasty scrapes and a dent in the gas tank.
&nbsp\\;
Glad you are okay.

Old 07-08-2008 | 04:57 PM
fireglider
Road Captain

I dropped my Ultra last June attempting a U-turn on a steep uphill drive that was unexpectedly blocked at the top.&nbsp\\; It had been raining and was late evening (almost dark) and my wife was with me.&nbsp\\; I should have stopped, let her off, and backed it down, but I tried a left-hand U-turn and was going too slow and it was too steep to put a foot down, so we went over.&nbsp\\; Scratched the front of the fairing (ugly) and scuffed a couple of chrome bits and bruised my wife's elbow (I stepped off), but we survived and I learned a good lesson.&nbsp\\; Glad you're ok.

Quick Reply: dumped my bike/ care to share?