General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettin' our kicks on Route 66....... Major 56k Warning.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gettin' our kicks on Route 66....... Major 56k Warning.

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\\\\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"\\\\\\; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0\\\\\\; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0\\\\\\; mso-style-noshow:yes\\\\\\; mso-style-parent:"\\\\\\; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt\\\\\\; mso-para-margin:0cm\\\\\\; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt\\\\\\; mso-pagination:widow-orphan\\\\\\; font-size:10.0pt\\\\\\; font-family:"Times New Roman"\\\\\\;}

So, couple month’s back I got a little ansy and decided my Mom needed a vacation. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;My Mom’s been living with my family for about a year now since the o’ll man passed.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Anyhow, she loves to ride\\\\\\; so I thought I’d take her for walkies. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;She’s 77. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Booked a couple e-tickets to Chicago from EuroLand and told her to put everything she needs for a month in a saddle bag, ….she laughed\\\\\\; ……then realised I wasn’t. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Next day we were headed to Chicago. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Get to Chicago\\\\\\; rent one of those huge freakin’ things with the suitcase thing on the back and a windshield. Damn, they’re nice for long haul. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Bought a Route 66 map and told the honey on the desk we’d be back in a couple weeks, maybe more.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; (Oh, then engaged my brain and did something real smart, …….bought a Garmin Zumo 550.) &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

I can’t even begin to go into this with words…… so I’ll just post some pics…… and throw in a few comments.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Didn’t bother putting any “It’s me” pics in\\\\\\; as no one’s interested in our mugs. So I just threw in what I thought was pertinent to the route66. I think this is a pretty good summation of the road. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Route 66 trip One way\\\\\\; Chicago L.A. ………….4 weeks. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Total Stateside time……… almost 8 weeks. Just got back……..wife’s not too happy I stayed over a month but she’ll get over it. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Route 66 Trip is about ~2400 miles. We somehow did 3,700. But we hit Vegas, GranCanyon, plus a load of other side trips. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Second month rented a cage and did Toronto, New York, Florida, etc etc. Nice trip, but…..Nothing, and I mean Nothing compared to the Route 66 trip. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

I can’t get enough of the vintage cars….. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

oakman

Amboy..... the town that was sold on ebay for the price of a normal house.......

The mother road........

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Sedona…. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Gran Canyon........

I'll whack some more up tomorrow, as it's getting late.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Awesome trip. ....... Makes me wanna do Sturgis and the 105th next month .....&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; hmmmm.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 PM
flakdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gettin' our kicks on Route 66....... Major 56k Warning.

Great Pics!&nbsp\\; I'm heading out first of next month, I can't wait!!&nbsp\\; We will not get to spend as much time on the road as you lucky folks, but we plan to make good use of the time.&nbsp\\; Thanks for posting the pics.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
FD

Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
ILTim
Cruiser

Thank you for the pics. I sure love my country, the west in particular. I sure hope to get back to the west SOON!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
jayhawk894
Advanced

Great pics.&nbsp\\; Plus taking your 77 year old&nbsp\\;mom on a rode trip\\; very cool!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
G Rod
Tourer

Many thanks for the memories.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:38 PM
acid_chipmunk
Tourer

That is awesome that you thought of your mom. It shows how much you love her that you would take her on a trip of a lifetime. The pics are great. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
wildhair1
Cruiser

Awesome pics and how cool to take your Mum with ya! I live in Illinois about 90 miles south of Chicago on Rt. 66. I travel it most days and in the summer always see bikes with out of state plates traveling the Mother Road!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

Kudos for taking your Ma on the trip.
But double-kudos to her for going along!

I would give a couple eye-teeth to take that Harley VL home.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:52 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome stuff there dude. SW part of the US is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Cant wait to move back to AZ. Glad you and your mom had a trip of a lifetime. Pretty big smile there on her at the grand canyon!

Old 07-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Very, VERY Cool DK, that you would even think to do that

Quick Reply: Gettin' our kicks on Route 66....... Major 56k Warning.