General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soutern Cali Riders

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Soutern Cali Riders

ORIGINAL: kk6pg

....&nbsp\\;and going down the same road used to shoot the opener of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World back in the 50's. That section of 74 has stayed the same for 60+ years.
&nbsp\\;
Actually, it was the 60's. I remember going to see it with my parents at the drive-in.
&nbsp\\;
I love that movie!
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

Ortega Highway is one of the "most dangerous roads in America" (from the OC Register).&nbsp\\; I've had two friends killed riding it.&nbsp\\; People drive it fast and don't always stay in their lanes.&nbsp\\; Still, it's a fun ride - just be careful.&nbsp\\; Yeah, whatever you do stop at Cooks Corner.&nbsp\\; Always a good biker hangout on the weekends.&nbsp\\; Have fun!
&nbsp\\;
Lisa

Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: olemiss8

It sounds like riding The Ortega could be waste of time...But I do want to go Cook's Corner, is there anything else I should ride in that area.. how is the desert riding?

&nbsp\\;
I live in Temecula, the Ortega is not a waste of time, unless you get&nbsp\\;caught in the construction but it is a dangerous road, alot of accidents and deaths. I won't drive the road in a car. Elsinore is a dump. Take the 79 through Temecula up to Julian, alot of nice riding through that area. Yea, don't say "Cali"

Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior

It sounds like riding The Ortega could be waste of time...But I do want to go Cook's Corner, is there anything else I should ride in that area.. how is the desert riding?

Not at all! I ride up to Hell's Kitchen about once a week for lunch. I love that ride! And I much prefer Hell's Kitchen to Cook's Corner.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBoyFLSTC

Well, first thing is, don't use "Cali" down here. That is for the SF crowd. Other than that, watch out for the traffic. It can get pretty knarly out here. Have a great ride.
So do we use Fornia when down south? It's gnarly dude....

Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
powaypete
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MetalStud

I just did the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;76 to Julian last week. Almost zero traffic and great road to just sit back and cruise. I came across a river with a few tubers, anyone know the story on the river,it's 100 ft from the road and it could be a state park of private camp
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; That could be La Jolla (Hou-ya)&nbsp\\;Indian Reservation
&nbsp\\;
Julian is a nice ride, so is Idywild.
&nbsp\\;
Desert is hot about 115* or more.&nbsp\\; Borrego Springs is a nice place to stop for a bite to eat.&nbsp\\; You need to stop at the Iron Door in Octillo Wells (Hwy 76), for $6 you can be an Official A$$hole and put your dollar bill on the wall with the rest of us.
&nbsp\\;
Continue on to Salton Sea and on the east side of the 'sea' you can go to Salvation Mountain (off Hwy 118) and that will take you into the Palm Springs area.&nbsp\\; Much to see there too as long as you don't go in October (gay month there).
&nbsp\\;
From there back into the LA area for a trip up into Big Bear and visit Big Bear Choppers.
&nbsp\\;
What ever you do, ride safe and keep cool.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: powaypete

ORIGINAL: MetalStud

Continue on to Salton Sea and on the east side of the 'sea' you can go to Salvation Mountain (off Hwy 118) and that will take you into the Palm Springs area.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Much to see there too as long as you don't go in October (gay month there).
&nbsp\\;
Nice ride, but be careful around the Salton Sewer. I would have a good supply of nose plugs unless you like the smell of putrid &nbsp\\;rotten fish.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
pjweber
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HarleyGirl76

Ortega Highway is one of the "most dangerous roads in America" (from the OC Register).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've had two friends killed riding it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; People drive it fast and don't always stay in their lanes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Still, it's a fun ride - just be careful.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Yeah, whatever you do stop at Cooks Corner.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Always a good biker hangout on the weekends.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Have fun!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Lisa
&nbsp\\;
2 more killed...
&nbsp\\;
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008...7f0077d20b.txt
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The view of Elsinore from the Ortega is nice, but don't stop, it's full of Crackheads.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pjweber

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I live in Temecula, the Ortega is not a waste of time, unless you get&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;caught in the construction but it is a dangerous road, alot of accidents and deaths. I won't drive the road in a car. Elsinore is a dump. Take the 79 through Temecula up to Julian, alot of nice riding through that area. Yea, don't say "Cali"
&nbsp\\;
OK. That's it! I'm flying down to work in Irvine next week and I'm gonna run through the streets yelling "CALI, CALI, SOUTHERN CALI SUCKS!" Then when I get home I'm goin tto san Francisco and do the same only I'm gonna yell "Frisco"

Quick Reply: Soutern Cali Riders