General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:33 AM
peewee97
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Harley

I'm gonna buy a new HD in the near future, not sure which model, was thinkin about a Rocker C. I thought I'd get your ideas... I'm 6'10 260 most of my riding will be to and from work (25 miles 1 way)....what do you think?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:48 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Which Harley

You're going to get a lot of biased opinions on this question. That said, as tall as you are you're going to need a bike with forward controls to give you more room. I would go with a Dyna Wide Glide, and buy a set of extensions to move the forward controls forward even more. A Rocker might work, don't know if they offer extensions for the forward controls on them though. If the forwards are the same as on the other Softails they should. From what I've been told though, the forward controls on the newer Wide Glides (06-08), are already farther forward than on the Softails.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 AM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Test ride them and see what feels better for you.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
djvargas
Outstanding HDF Member

The rocker c has a very large back tire and without experience will work against you.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I've heard that shorter women like the Rocker as it allows them to sit flat footed when stopped. You might check that out with your height, might be too short?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:08 PM
stevegray
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: peewee97

I'm gonna buy a new HD in the near future, not sure which model, was thinkin about a Rocker C. I thought I'd get your ideas... I'm 6'10 260 most of my riding will be to and from work (25 miles 1 way)....what do you think?
6'10' and 260?&nbsp\\; Well I can tell you you won't want a Sportster.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
peewee97
Advanced

I plan on test riding, I just wanted to narrow the choices....maybe a fatboy, a RK

Old 07-06-2008, 12:19 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

You'll have to figure out which bike fits you bets. Normally we say around here to find the bike that talks to you and the one that when you look at it you feel a connection. but being almost 7 ft tall, finding a bike that your comfortable RIDING will be more important. As its stands the Wide Glide will be your best best stock.

If your willing to put a little more money into your bike for a ridiculously forward control setup, then you can get just about any bike you want. If thats the case, then you should have no problems if you like the Rocker C.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Im 6 4 and my friend is 6 7. I had a 99 Heritage, sold it and bought an 07 Heritage. I was kind of surprised and happy to find that harley moved the floorboards forward on the new bike. Put engine guards on with footpegs to be able to stretch out and had to move the footpegs back so I could reach them. My friend rode a 98 Fat Boy for a couple years then went to a Road King Classic and now has an 02 SE Road Glide. He put pegs on the engine guards and they are so far forward that I can hardly reach them. Harley has a peg mount that extends the pegs farther than even&nbsp\\;you could probably reach on a Heritage, Fat Boy or Touring bike. Go by a dealer, sit on different bikes and check out the extended peg mounts, three styles, that harley sells.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to take into consideration that you may ride the bike more than just to go to work. The rocker is a bar hopping bike and not something I'd want to take on long distances. So you might want to consider exactly what riding you're planning to do or might do in the future and gauge your bike choices from those thoughts as well. Modifications cost a lot of money. Try to find something that will fit your current and future needs now.
&nbsp\\;
Find a dealer that will let you test ride, or go rent one for the day to see what you like.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck on your decision.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/A32F988ED7BC4DE5B1468DB47BD1E9A1.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Which Harley