General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside assistance for breakdown.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:16 PM
robster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadside assistance for breakdown.

I just took a 224 miles one way trip through Pennsylvania to New Jersey beach through Philadelphia on the Pennsylvania Turnpike northeast extension.&nbsp\\; I lost my 3-5 gears coming out of a toll gate from the Schuylkill expressway at Philadelphia onto the northeast extension of the Pa. Turnpike on the way home.&nbsp\\; I can't thank enough Brian's Harley Davidson in Langhorn, PA. just off Route 1 from interstate 276 off the PA Turnpike&nbsp\\;for helping me out at no charge for storing my bike and assisting with ramps for me to load it into my friend's van the following day.&nbsp\\; However, I feel really ripped off by Rob's Towing service in Bristol, Levittown, PA. because they showed up as a result of my friend's call to AAA and they came and I told them to take me to the nearest Harley Davidson Dealership.&nbsp\\; The guy called his base and said he should take me to Brian's Harley Davidson as the closest.&nbsp\\; He said it would be about 30 miles and the AAA basic would not be honored by his company because it has to be AAA RV for any motorcycle coverage so it would cost $177.&nbsp\\; I told him to get me to that nearest dealer.&nbsp\\; When he dropped me off he said it was 45 miles and charged me $226.&nbsp\\; I didn't want sign the credit card authorization feeling he was ripping me off but I had little choice as it was late afternoon and I needed to talk to the dealer to see if there was anychance of a quick repair to ride home before they close so I signed the bill and away he went.&nbsp\\; I've now found after retracing the distance going back to pick up my bike.&nbsp\\; It was ony 35 miles and as it turns out there was a closer shop only 20 miles up the road in Sellersville.&nbsp\\; Obviously he took me for a ride and ran up a heftier bill than necessary.&nbsp\\; Also he had said that the AAA basic his boss will not honor.&nbsp\\; He will only honor the AAA RV and AAA RV plus which would have covered the $72 hook up fee and 20 of the miles at $3.50 per mile.&nbsp\\; I wish there were some way to stop these Turnpike Tow vultures from taking advantage of us while we're caught in an emergency breakdown like this.&nbsp\\; So far I've explained it to my credit card company and they're sending a form to put a hold on part of the payment to dispute it.&nbsp\\; Anyone else have any advice or further comments on situations like these?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:04 PM
JSU77
Road Captain
Default RE: Roadside assistance for breakdown.

I think that you've done the right thing by contacting your credit card company. &nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Fred0311
Intermediate

File a formal complaint with AAA and demand reimbursement.&nbsp\\; Contact the state attorney general's office as well.&nbsp\\; t

Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 PM
tincanson589
6th Gear

Small consolation now, but you should consider joining HOG. I blew a clutch cable and called them and they owed my 20 miles to the dealer - no charge.

- Be Safe

Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
robster
Novice

That sounds like a good experience with HOG but there are some threads on here very negative about HOG and their customer service people and long delays and some no service areas and days.&nbsp\\; I am leaning more toward AAA RV plus or MTS.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:43 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: robster

He said ... the AAA basic would not be honored by his company because it has to be AAA RV for any motorcycle coverage
Read your AAA coverage (or check the AAA website for your state) and you'll see that he was correct.

ORIGINAL: robster

they showed up as a result of my friend's call to AAA
So you used your friend's AAA coverage?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Report the incident to AAA. The tow company will not want to be blacklisted by AAA.