General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRAYER PLEASE...Got checked out after an accident yesterday...NOT GOOD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Scramboogie
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PRAYER PLEASE...Got checked out after an accident yesterday...NOT GOOD.

I posted about this in the Dyna forum but wanted to give a quick run down here too.&nbsp\\; I got into an accident last evening with a pickup truck.&nbsp\\; The driver of the truck turned left, without signaling, and cut another car and myself on my bike off.&nbsp\\; By the time I saw that he was turning I was already in the intersection and only had enough time to grab brakes and try to lay the bike down.&nbsp\\; I was semi successful...I think...with both tasks before impact.&nbsp\\; My bike got some pretty significant damage and I was thrown into the intersection and ended up on my back when all was said and done.&nbsp\\; The truck got quite wrinkled up also.&nbsp\\; The PO who responded listed him as 100% at fault for failing to yield right of way.&nbsp\\; Well, I though I was alright overall and all I could say when the paramedic asked several times if anything hurt was "I don' know...I don't think so."&nbsp\\; She told me that I would be quite sore in the morning and suggested very strongly that I get checked out further as soon as possible.&nbsp\\; When I woke up this morning I was a little more that sore...I was in a world of hurt.&nbsp\\; My mid back hurt and felt like I got kicked there...and everywhere else for that matter!!&nbsp\\; I went to my Doc and he sent me to get X-rays just to make sure everything was OK.&nbsp\\; Well when he got the report back from the radiologist, he looked at me and said "Would you believe that you have a broken spine?!?"&nbsp\\; Turns out I have a compression fracture in the thorasic region.&nbsp\\; It is apparently going to be a long haul with the bone bruising/healing taking place.&nbsp\\; I know that&nbsp\\;I'm lucky to be walking or even alive and I thank God for that.&nbsp\\; I don't know what my next steps should be. I don't know if I want to go the whole lawyer route and turn this into a circus, but I don't want to be brushed off and know that insurance companies are out there to make money...not take care of people.&nbsp\\; Please send some prayers out that everything turns out OK in the end.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Sorry for the&nbsp\\;looong post.
&nbsp\\;
Dan&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: PRAYER PLEASE...Got checked out after an accident yesterday...NOT GOOD.

Sorry to hear of your crash. My suggestion, as it is for everyone that has to deal with an insurance company, get a lawyer. I can tell you from experience that the insurance companies will often try to screw you and unless you have been through it before it is just hard to know what they should and should not do. With a spinal injury you could run into trouble down the road and you want to make sure the idiot and the idiots insurance company are the ones that pay for it and not you. Good luck and it does sound like you were indeed lucky.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: PRAYER PLEASE...Got checked out after an accident yesterday...NOT GOOD.

Glad you survived it. Damn cagers anyway. [:@]
&nbsp\\;
Most law firms that specialize in accidents will give you a free consultation. They'll find out what the cager's limits of liability are and you can accept or reject their help. If the limits are high, I'd want the lawyer. If the limits are low you should be able to get all of it without a fight. Your own insurance should pay med bills that exceed the cager's limits if needed.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to hear it, always go to the ER when involved in an accident like that for at least documentation of any injury's and in your case with a fractured back you could have been paralized, sounds like you're a pretty tough dude cause that would be very painful. Hopefully they will do the right thing and take care of you without having to get legal help.

Good luck hope you get better soon, keep us informed.

Here is a website that has lots of good info on your back.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/

Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Good luck but you really should consult an attorney.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Hangfire1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, thank God you are alive. Prayers going out for you and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Second, find a lawyer, the cager's insurance company has many working for him.

Third, remember the 33% rule, 1/3 goes to medical, 1/3 goes to lawyer, 1/3 goes for you and your recovery.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 PM
marthared
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prayers to the Lord for you, Dan.&nbsp\\; I pray that you will have a very fast recovery, and that His peace and love will be with you and your family.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
cvomike
Novice

Sounds like God kept you here for a reason? You do need a lawyer, it's a shame but that's the way the sysyem works.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Prayers are up.
Glad you are breathing!

Side note and advice - It is almost always a mistake to lay a bike down.
As soon as you make that decision you have lost all braking and control.
Rubber on road = braking.
Metal on road = pretty sparks at best.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 PM
OregonFXSTC
Road Captain

I compressed fractured L1 L2 L3 in my back and two vertebrae’s in my neck at the same time 11 years ago.
Take the physical therapy and don’t do surgery unless you have to.
It will take 2 years of hard work and you should get back to normal, I did. After 6 months to year you can function as normal but with pain. By the second year the pain goes away, or you are used to it by then, not sure which it was with me.
Good luck, it aint going to be easy.

Quick Reply: PRAYER PLEASE...Got checked out after an accident yesterday...NOT GOOD.