General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CROTCH ROCKET RIDER DIES

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CROTCH ROCKET RIDER DIES

ORIGINAL: l.ray

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; while popping wheelie at 80 mph. Only made 1/4 mi. on back wheel, hit guard rail, died in route to hosp. Didn't even break the record of 1/2 mi! Iam sorry the guy passed on, but ride safe, the life you save might be mine! +
&nbsp\\;
OK, people die on america's highways everyday.
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...8-1557007.html
&nbsp\\;
Two accidents on Monday morning about 12 miles apart left two people dead and three people in critical condition.
A Doylestown woman was killed and three others injured, including two critically, in a two-vehicle accident in Hilltown at Route 313 and Minsi Trail. Lisa Brown, 46, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Bucks County coroner.
Two passengers in her vehicle, Lillian Guckin, 77, and Andrew Guckin, 81, and the driver of the other vehicle, Jessica Melvin, 18, of Perkasie, were taken to area hospitals.
Lillian Guckin was listed in critical condition at St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem\\; Andrew Guckin, 81, was in critical condition at Abington Memorial Hospital.
Melvin was taken to St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem where she was treated and released.
Hilltown police said Melvin, who was traveling west on Minsi Trail, failed to stop at a stop sign at Route 313. Police said Melvin's vehicle struck a vehicle driven by Brown, who was traveling west on Route 313.
The Hilltown crash was followed a few hours later by fatal accident in Springfield, Bucks County.
The operator of a motorcycle was killed in a collision with a van shortly before noon on Route 309 near Clay Avenue.
Springfield police identified the victim as Bradley Rapp, 22, of East Greenville. He was pronounced dead on the scene by the Bucks County coroner.
The driver of the van, James Purcell, 60, of Quakertown, was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition Monday night.
Police said the accident occurred when Purcell was attempting to make a left turn into the southbound lanes of Route 309 from a business parking lot. Rapp, who was riding his motorcycle north on Route 309 struck the left side of the van.
Police said the motorcycle's fuel tank ruptured, causing a fire. Purcell was pulled from the van by people who had stopped.

DisplayAds ('Middle')\\;

span.ad_slug
{
display:none\\;
}

Monday's fatal accidents followed on the heels of two others over the weekend that claimed the lives of two Bucks County residents.
A Warminster woman was killed in a one-car accident Saturday on Route 55 in Deptford, N.J.
Louise R. Leach, 70, died when a car driven by her son, Nicholas Leach, 39, flipped over several times, according to New Jersey State Police spokesman Stephen Jones. Police said the driver told them he lost control when he swerved to avoid a car that had entered his lane.
Police said Nicholas Leach was able to get himself out of the car, but his mother was trapped. She was pronounced dead when emergency crews arrived on scene. He was taken to Cooper University Hospital in Camden with injuries.
A Falls Township teenager died Sunday night after losing control of his motorcycle and crashing into trees on Derbyshire Road in Lower Makefield, police said.
Police said Richard Woolley, 19, lost control of his 2008 Yamaha R6 motorcycle and struck several small bushes and trees before hitting the large set of trees, police said.
Woolley, who was wearing a helmet, was taken to St. Mary Medical Center in Middletown, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The motorcycle traveled about 150 feet off the roadway before striking the trees, police said.
Investigators said Woolley had his motorcycle license permit for a little more than a month.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dyna_Soar

ORIGINAL: John TN

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

wow some ******* remarks for somone that has just been killed doing somethign he loved... i feel bad for his friends and family and hope none of them see these comments... i know people that would argue we are just as crazy as he is just for throwing our leg over our bike and riding on 2 wheels...
+ 1, no one is perfect, anyone who rides a motorcycle has done stupid stuff at one time or the other, sport bikers, cruisers,,, some survive a crash, some don't,, look at the folks that get killed at Deals Gap every year,,, cruisers and sportbike riders alike. Condolences to his family and friends.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
There is a big difference between doing something stupid due to inexperience or lack of skills, and doing something stupid intentionally with full knowledge of the risks.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
So, when some screwball decides that MY well-being is worth putting at risk so he can show off, all I care about is me&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;and his other potential victims. I feel sorry for the families of these sociopaths, but I will not mourn for some brain challenged idiot who decided that this was a good decision. And if one of your loved ones was hurt by one of these idiots, you would feel the same way, believe me.
So how would you know either way, the boy is dead he can't tell you?

Dyan Soar and anyone else here, tell me this, have you never once went over the speed limit, have you never once had an alcoholic beverage and driven, have you never once raced on the street on anything freeway included, have you never once driven and talked on your cell phone, have you never once tried to read a map while driving, have you never once driven while taking medication whether legal or not, have you never once broken any laws on the highway or never once endangered anyone by doing any or all of the above.

If you can honestly answer no to all of the above I'll completely let you keep on bashing this dead boy.

I ain't saying the boy is a saint or a rocket scientist for his actions prior to his death, truth is you show me all the highways where no one ever does anything wrong or never endangers someone or never causes an accident that involves themselves and or others and I'll show you an empty highway.

What I am saying is like JK, don't bash the boy like hamburger meat, have a little respect for another motorcycle rider gone down for the last time whether he was just stupid or inexperienced or both, he paid his price, he didn't kill or hurt anyone else, and yes his actions could have but they didn't, he wasn't perfect and I haven't met anyone else yet or ever will that is either.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
This is stupid on so many levels that I don't know where to begin.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
So tell me, what if he HAD killed someone? And it's only by chance that he didn't. Would your little eulogy still be the same? What if he had hit your daughter, or your wife. What if some crotch rocket had split your wife's car in two? Would your responses still be "Well, at least he was doing what he loved"? Go on, get out there in the street. Ride along with some paramedic....or ask a cop if he thinks those daring riders are "just having a little fun" and arent hurting anyone. Do you actually think this guy was in control of his bike, or do you think that the guard rail was pat of his plan? What if that guard rail had been a kid on his bicycle?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Would you still be so calm and understanding? The problem with most of you here is that most of you have never had to actually witness this idiocy or have to see the families and victims of the innocent. Well, I have seen more than my share. So your politically correct crap doesn't phase me at all.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
You didn't answer my question from my last post, reason is,,, you can't,, you want to throw up this smoke screen about dumb and PC crap and try to act like Mr. Perfect Driver.

I ain't going to argue here with you about it,, and I ain't going to take no chit from ya either, I wasn't rude to you. I believe in respecting the dead, if you want to start a crusade about the could have's, if an's, buts or anything pertaining to why this boy was killed and your thoughts as to why anyone, but you should even be on the highway, please feel free to do so, you might want to contact his family, friends and tell them how you feel as well, I'm sure they would appreciate as well.

Sport bikes aren't my cup of tea, but they have their own reasons for riding them as I do mine I say to each his own.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually I was an EMT in chicago for two years, as well as a volunteer fireman in missouri though college... i have seen them... i have also been in them! I have many rocket customers and ride with them often.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have also rode with people that ahve smacked the sides of cars when they pulled out... car wins... i will tell you... i&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;was on sceen of&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a rocket that hit a empty school bus at 95 MPH... the buss tried to cross the highway and died at the top of a hill and in NO way was the bus even remotely torn in half the bike and the rider however where.... it was sad... i have seen well over 50 bike accidents and NEVER have i seen a car, truck, van, or any vehicle torn in half by a bike... pure size and mass, bike looses... you have gotten off track... this kid did not HURT anyone, you are tarnishing him when he commited no fault to anyone, he paid the price for his fault.
&nbsp\\;
Look, this isn't anything personal about him. This is about the attitude that anyone has the right to dictate how much risk is acceptable to someone else. It's a question of degree.
And actually, I don't drink, or street race. It has nothing to do with "manliness". I ride dirt bikes and have raced off the street, because that decision to risk myself effects no one else. I am a deputy and I see the results of absolute stupidity on the street. This kids parents are going to punish themselves for the rest of their lives. They are victims also. So to say no one hurt anyone is ridiculous. The result of an act isnt what is important, it's the intent of the act. It's called "culpability". Was it intentional, reckless, knowingly, negligent?.
He may not have hurt anyone "else" other than his parents, but it could have happened quite easily, and often times does.
No one deserves to die, not this kid or anyone else on the highway. But what he did was absolutely insane. And in the end, he just didn't care. He took a gamble and lost, and thankfully, no one else lost with him.
I have probably seen more horrific accidents than you, because half of the time that I end up at an accident&nbsp\\;scene, there is no need to call an EMT, we just call the coroner.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

A True Tragedy!
&nbsp\\;
But why is anyone surprised?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I feel the bike industry needs to held accountable on many levels.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; What bothers me the most, is any 18 year old kid with a credit card or a few bucks in his pocket can walk into a dealer and leave with a bike that can do 150mph+!
&nbsp\\;
Was in a sport bike dealer recently.&nbsp\\; Asked the salesmen "how many kids will die on these bikes"?&nbsp\\; His answer?&nbsp\\; "Thats a valid question".
&nbsp\\;
Heard that Florida recently past legislation making it mandatory for new riders to take a basic riders course.&nbsp\\; Guess it's a good start.&nbsp\\; What the ultimate answer is, I'm not sure.&nbsp\\; But when my 24 year old told me he was going to buy one, I told him he better find a new place to live first.&nbsp\\; Took care of that issue.&nbsp\\; Guess when he purchases his first home in a couple years, he might think twice about the value of life.&nbsp\\; I can only hope.
&nbsp\\;
Again, my sympathies to any dead rider and their familes.
&nbsp\\;
Dennis in Chicago

Old 07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Dyna... look at that! i completely agree with that last one! ha ha ha ha very true brother very true

Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM
SilentBob
Intermediate

I think the biggest problem with this whole argument is the way people are stating their points.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I have been driving a wrecker for in the DC area for a few years now and let me just say that more than 90% of the fatal accidents that the company i worked for&nbsp\\;has cleaned up involved sport bikes.&nbsp\\; My cousin had an accident on his rocket.&nbsp\\; I'd probably have one myself if I wasn't sure that I would kill myself on it doing something stupid.&nbsp\\; My mother was almost killed by a drunk driver so I'm no stranger to having family in vehicle accidents, whether or not it was their fault.&nbsp\\; I myself have had more than 1 close call on my harley and just about every time it was because I was doing something I probably shouldn't have been doing.
&nbsp\\;
My point is this.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I do feel sorry for the friends and families of anyone who dies because someone was doing something stupid.&nbsp\\; Do I feel sorry for the person who was doing something stupid?&nbsp\\; Nope, not in the least.&nbsp\\; You have to take responsibility for your own actions and I think it shows how screwed up you are if you look for sympathy from others when something you did, knowing that you shouldn't be doing it, goes wrong.
&nbsp\\;
I'll be one of the first there to help someone when something happens but I'll be the first to tell em they were stupid for doing it too.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

wow some ******* remarks for somone that has just been killed doing somethign he loved... i feel bad for his friends and family and hope none of them see these comments... i know people that would argue we are just as crazy as he is just for throwing our leg over our bike and riding on 2 wheels...
+ 1, no one is perfect, anyone who rides a motorcycle has done stupid stuff at one time or the other, sport bikers, cruisers,,, some survive a crash, some don't,, look at the folks that get killed at Deals Gap every year,,, cruisers and sportbike riders alike. Condolences to his family and friends.
There is a big difference between doing something stupid due to inexperience or lack of skills, and doing something stupid intentionally with full knowledge of the risks.
So, when some screwball decides that MY well-being is worth putting at risk so he can show off, all I care about is me&nbsp\\;and his other potential victims. I feel sorry for the families of these sociopaths, but I will not mourn for some brain challenged idiot who decided that this was a good decision. And if one of your loved ones was hurt by one of these idiots, you would feel the same way, believe me.
&nbsp\\;
So how would you know either way, the boy is dead he can't tell you?

Dyan Soar and anyone else here, tell me this, have you never once went over the speed limit, have you never once had an alcoholic beverage and driven, have you never once raced on the street on anything freeway included, have you never once driven and talked on your cell phone, have you never once tried to read a map while driving, have you never once driven while taking medication whether legal or not, have you never once broken any laws on the highway or never once endangered anyone by doing any or all of the above.

If you can honestly answer no to all of the above I'll completely let you keep on bashing this dead boy.

I ain't saying the boy is a saint or a rocket scientist for his actions prior to his death, truth is you show me all the highways where no one ever does anything wrong or never endangers someone or never causes an accident that involves themselves and or others and I'll show you an empty highway.

What I am saying is like JK, don't bash the boy like hamburger meat, have a little respect for another motorcycle rider gone down for the last time whether he was just stupid or inexperienced or both, he paid his price, he didn't kill or hurt anyone else, and yes his actions could have but they didn't, he wasn't perfect and I haven't met anyone else yet or ever will that is either.
&nbsp\\;
This is stupid on so many levels that I don't know where to begin.
So tell me, what if he HAD killed someone? And it's only by chance that he didn't. Would your little eulogy still be the same? What if he had hit your daughter, or your wife. What if some crotch rocket had split your wife's car in two? Would your responses still be "Well, at least he was doing what he loved"? Go on, get out there in the street. Ride along with some paramedic....or ask a cop if he thinks those daring riders are "just having a little fun" and arent hurting anyone. Do you actually think this guy was in control of his bike, or do you think that the guard rail was pat of his plan? What if that guard rail had been a kid on his bicycle?
Would you still be so calm and understanding? The problem with most of you here is that most of you have never had to actually witness this idiocy or have to see the families and victims of the innocent. Well, I have seen more than my share. So your politically correct crap doesn't phase me at all.&nbsp\\;
You didn't answer my question from my last post, reason is,,, you can't,, you want to throw up this smoke screen about dumb and PC crap and try to act like Mr. Perfect Driver.

I ain't going to argue here with you about it,, and I ain't going to take no chit from ya either, I wasn't rude to you. I believe in respecting the dead, if you want to start a crusade about the could have's, if an's, buts or anything pertaining to why this boy was killed and your thoughts as to why anyone, but you should even be on the highway, please feel free to do so, you might want to contact his family, friends and tell them how you feel as well, I'm sure they would appreciate as well.

Sport bikes aren't my cup of tea, but they have their own reasons for riding them as I do mine I say to each his own.

&nbsp\\;
First of all, I'm sorry if you thought I was bashing you. When I said this was"stupid", I should not have "quoted" you. I was referring to the whole general argument.
As for answering your questions (and you also never answered mine), no one is perfect, but there is a sensible level of risk that you take by being alive. It's nonsense ot think that it's all black and white. Is going 1 mile per hour over the speed limit the same as going 50 over? Of course not. The Law dictates behavior based on what a "reasonable" man would do, or expect. Riding a wheelie down a street in an attempt to go 1/2 mile is insane.
As for my own behavior. Yes, I have driven over the speed limit. And as a LEO, I have driven waaay over the speed limit. I do not drink at all.&nbsp\\;Drinking and driving&nbsp\\;is another one of my "buttons", so don't get me started on that one. It appears that many of the members of this site thinks that is a right, and a joke also.&nbsp\\;I do not hold a cellphone in my hand when I drive, EVER. Yes, I have read a map and even programmed a GPS. But those things are not illegal and the law has accepted that. That is why it's not illegal. And now the law says that hand held cellphones usage by a driver is dangerous. So now don't do that either, ever.
But driving on one wheel down a highway is illegal, and that is where the line is drawn right now. That's all we have to go on.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Edited by EasternSP to remove slashes.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can really feel all that&nbsp\\;heartfelt sympathy pouring out of your&nbsp\\;kind words.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: Geoff

I feel bad for the idiot and his family.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

Dyna... look at that! i completely agree with that last one! ha ha ha ha very true brother very true
&nbsp\\;
OK, I better quit while I'm ahead (or at least "even")
&nbsp\\;
I'm sorry if I pissed you off. I just have button, and once in awhile, they get pushed

Old 07-03-2008, 06:00 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Dyna-Soar. My condolences to his family for having an idiot for a kid.

Quick Reply: CROTCH ROCKET RIDER DIES