General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you still wave?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:58 PM
84sugar
Advanced
Default RE: Do you still wave?

When I got my first scoot at 15 I waved to everyone on two wheels.....and they ALL waved back. When I got my first car, a 'beat up '62 VW, I waved at all oncoming bugs and almost all of them waved back. Seven bikes and 37 years later, I have also noticed that the percentage of riders who return a wave has dropped noticably. Rather than grouse and wonder why they didn't return the wave, I have since adopted my own style. That is, I don't wave to anyone....UNLESS they wave first and then I ALWAYS wave back. As Detective Hunter used to say, "Works for me!"

Old 03-09-2006 | 01:06 PM
UncleMike
Road Master

Been riding for over 40 yrs and back in the 60's and 70's there weren't nearly as many bikes on the road and the raised fist was the way we greeted each other. I think the 2 fingers down wave came about because so many new riders didn't know or felt intimidated by the raised fist and instead of throwing the fist up they dropped the hand down kinda like a dog rolling on its back to a bigger dog. I don't care for the low handed 2 finger wave and still use the raised fist quite a bit and I get some really strange looks from the new breed of riders. Try throwing your fist up proudly and see what you get back...

Old 03-09-2006 | 01:51 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

Of course. I feel bad if I don't.

Old 03-09-2006 | 01:56 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

I'm going to try to go for a ride this weekend. But from the forecast it is supposed to rain. Over 140 days without rain and it has to do it on a weekend I'm free to ride on. <Grump>
I usually wave no matter what they are riding unless I'm shifting or it would be dangerous to do so. Most seem to wave back. Your right FireHawk why does it have rain this weekend, it should just rain during the week especially since we haven't had any rain for over 140 day's.

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:16 PM
mayday
Cruiser

I always wave.....I think of it as making a "good gesture" deposit. I feel good about it regardless of the response.

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:29 PM
metalgirl247
Cruiser

I always wave...to everyone on 2 wheels....
When I was a passenger I always waved also.

When I'm at a light and someone looks at me I blow them a kiss... seems like the older gentlemen really dig this and smile or blow a kiss back to me

I'm just friendly like that

MG

[IMG]local://upfiles/5328/7CE789F4346A40C78DD29B477DF91052.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:32 PM
LAWMAN
Tourer

I also wave. It's a BIKER thing!!

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:39 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

I have always gotten a response to a wave (whether the low peace sign or head nod) except when there is a large group of riders coming at me. I guess they are too busy watching each other's position than noticing me. Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing!

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:41 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Yep.....all the time.....usually get about a 95% response except by the crotch rocket crowd. I think it's because they are sitting so far tilted forward that if they let go of the grips they'll fall forward in front of their bike and run themselves over. I think I'll modify my low rider so my big *** is sticking up in the air like that.....you know because everybody really wants to see some guys big hairy *** in their winshield when they are driving around town with the kids in the car. So who invented that position? Some Japanese guy with no *** I suppose. Then when you bring it up they tell you how slow your bike is compared to their "*** rocket" that has a twin turbo. So I tell em nobody see the turbo you schmuck....all they see is your big twin buns...sorry I think I went way off topic......I gotta get back to work. KB[sm=offtopic.gif]

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:49 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member

Yeah most of the time. Wife always waves when she is on the back.

Quick Reply: Do you still wave?