General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you still wave?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:13 PM
Bdsvette
Advanced
Default RE: Do you still wave?

I also wave to everbody. Doesnt matter what you ride we are all risking the same thing out on the road.

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:25 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: went_postal

Maybe it is the "Commuter Biker" Vs. "The Biker" Know what I mean? I am not a Ride to Live, Live to Ride kinda person... I ride to ride... For me part of the lifestyle is the "bond" between myself and the other two-wheelers out there.
Nah! I commute all the time. I wave at everyone as long as it is safe. If I can't wave I try to nod.

That guy is just a JERK. Keep waving at him.

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:29 PM
went_postal
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh... I am a commuter too... but I also get out on the bike any chance I get... If I ever get bags on the fatboy I will probably even volunteer to go shopping! =)

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:29 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Fatbernie

Yeah, I try to wave all the time also. I think it's cool and a sign of respect for the other riders out there too. Of course, I hate it when I'm going about 55 or 60 and wave thereby causing my left hand to uncontrollably swing around and hit me in my own a$$.
BA
Try dropping your arm to your side and leaning it out to the left and wave. They'll see it. No butt slapping involved.

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:30 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Tripper

I always wave, even to motor officers, and most of the time I get a return wave. I've noticed that in town I get less returned waves than in the country. I also get very few waves from "bikers;" well they look like hard core bikers anyway. Of course I'm on my Winnabagger with a helmet and maybe they just don't want to associate. Boo-hoo woe is me
I'm thinking your right about the hard-core biker types...I wear a helmet...during the week I'm in kaki pants and semi-dressy shoes going to and from work. Maybe they just don't think I'm worth waving to. Heck, I ride a lot more than 98% of the scoot pilots in this area. I guess actually riding a lot doen't count.

I wave...unless Paula is riding on the back...then she waves for me.

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:35 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: went_postal
If I ever get bags on the fatboy I will probably even volunteer to go shopping! =)
I used to do that all the time when I had my Intruder. At the time, it was my only transportation. I would fill up my bags and then fill a backpack and then hang bags from the handle bars. Good thing I wasn't going far. Man I must have looked a sight to behold.

I'm going to try to go for a ride this weekend. But from the forecast it is supposed to rain. Over 140 days without rain and it has to do it on a weekend I'm free to ride on. <Grump>

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:39 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

I wave whenever I can, nod if I can't.

I commute nearly every day, and it seems about 50% of HD riders wave back, but 90% metrics do. It seems that there are a lot of 'too pretty to be hardcore biker machine but the guy carries the attitude anyhow' around here. I guess thats what I get for driving through all the rich neighborhoods. It has to be my full face helmet and my backback. Damn I need some bags for the bike!

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:45 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member

I wave whenever possible. I also chat when stopped at a light or gas station. I don't care what they are riding. I've found most people respond. The sport bikers usually don't wave because of their riding position.

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:46 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: hddeluxe

Over here in Sweden most riders wave as well. But I noticed that in UK (England & Scotland) most riders moves the head from one side to the other. First time I thought they signaled 'hey, dont wave' but after a while I noticed that this seems to the way they 'wave'
Any from UK that can confirm?
In countries where you drive on the right hand side of the road - the side nearest to oncoming traffic is your clutch hand - no problem to take it off the handlebars in most cases to wave.

In the UK (and Australia and Hong Kong) you drive on the left. The side nearest to oncoming traffic is your throttle hand - can't really let go of that in a jiffy - hence the UK et al the "wave" is a clear nod off the head.

Now I ride in the USA, I wave whenever I can. If my left hand is busy, I nod. (If I nod - I usually get a confused look and a nod back [sm=smiley36.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif])

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:55 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master

I agree, people seem not to wave as much. However, I always wave, unless it is physically impossible. [sm=yeahsmile.gif]Oneof my favorite things about riding is the feeling of brotherhood with anyone else who rides whether you know them or not.

Quick Reply: Do you still wave?