General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security systems

I'm interested in getting some type of alarm system on my '99 FLH. I see Harley has one where you can get a pager , but thats a seperate cost. I think they both toal around 200.00. Whats everybody ealse using ? good and bad comments. I like the pager idea. The older bikes used to have a way of using a padlock on the forks. I don't see a hole on mine.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Default RE: Security systems

Hey Johnny....

Personally I installed the HD factory security system along with the Smart Siren II and pager system. Everything was fairly easy to install. Hardest part was pairing up the new module with the bike since you are actually replacing the turn signal module. There are excellent steps on how to do this in the DIY section (Thanks TCSTD). I decided on the factory alarm since it was made for the bike. Granted, anything that has the HD logo on it will cost a bit more but after doing a bunch of research I opted to go factory.

If that is the way you go make sure to get the most recent models. Here's what I purchased:

HD # 68200-00D Link Here
HD # 68328-06 Link Here
HD # 91660-06 Link Here

Keep in mind that while a security system is nice I would also take the steps to have some sort of mechanical device installed such as a lock bar, chain, etc. If someone really wants it they'll take it but there's no reason not to make it as hard as possible for them. Not to mention it will lower your insurance rate a lot of the times.

Brian

Old 03-09-2006, 08:13 PM
reefteach
Tourer

My 05 Road King had a standard factory security. I bought the smart siren2 and pager. Easy install. When was the last time you heard somebody else's auto alarm and went to investigate it? Well, if I'm inside and my pager goes off I will be there in no time flat. The pager helps you relax while up to 1/2 mile away from your bike.
I'm going to be touring this summer, and will sleep better with the pager on the night stand of the hotel room, next to "Plan B".[sm=violent053.gif]

Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM
RandyD123
Advanced

Did you have to follow all those steps in the DIY section? Is there a link to that section?

Old 03-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Try these two links:

Here and Here

I also had an issue with my check engine light coming on even after following the instructions. Here is a link on how to check the codes

Here and Here

Hopefully you won't have the same issues but it's nice to have the info just in case.

Brian

Old 03-09-2006, 10:38 PM
reefteach
Tourer

On my 05 w/ factory installed security, adding the smart siren2 and pager was a plug and play procedue. Took more time to disconnect the battery than to install the system. Probably different story if you dont already have the factory installed base system.
I was just thinking that if you dont already have a factory HD sys, you may be better off getting an aftermarket one.
May be cheaper/easier and just as good. Ive seen a good one by a company called scorpio(i think).