General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Helmet Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
CoffeeGuy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider Helmet Advice?

I'm taking the Riders Edge course in a couple weeks and need to get a helmet. They require either a 3/4 or full-face. Assuming I'm going to buy a motorcycle after the class, I'd like to buy a helmet that I use on a regular basis. I much prefer the idea of a 3/4 over a full-face. Think this will be alright for the class and beyond? Any recommendations on brand? Also anyone from the Front Range area know a good place to try on and buy helmets? Are used helmets ever a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
TideRKC
Tourer
Default RE: New Rider Helmet Advice?

1. Don't buy a used helmet.&nbsp\\; They are only good once and if it has been dropped it isn't going to protect you the same.
&nbsp\\;
2.&nbsp\\; If you're only getting a 3/4 or a full face for the class and want a 1/2 helmet then make them check the requirements again.&nbsp\\; Unless they changed it back then the paperwork they gave you is old.&nbsp\\; In April they approved ANY DOT HELMET for use in the classes.&nbsp\\; A lot of the instructors don't like it but they do what MSF says.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a 3/4 harley jet 2 helmet that I would sweat profusely in.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I wore that for two years.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; this year i bought a shoei rf-1000 full face helmet.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; when i take this helmet off after a ride, my hair is bone dry.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I find it way more ventilated than the 3/4 i used to wear.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I know, it seems like it would be the other way around, but it isn't.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; After purchasing the shoei, i know that I will never own anything other than a shoei full face.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It is wonderful and blows my old 3/4 out of the water.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It is also very light and cuts through the wind wonderfully.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
rob
&nbsp\\;
btw- besides the fact that you could buy a used helmet that's been dropped,&nbsp\\; the idea is just disgusting.&nbsp\\; wearing something that someone else has sweated all over is an idea that i'd never be able to embrace.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Rob, I'm with you on the used helmet... ewwwww
&nbsp\\;
I have a Full Face that I got from Harley when I purchased my bike and I have 2 half helmets, one Fulmer and one Outlaw.&nbsp\\; Used the FF when I took the MSF course and I used it for about the first 8 months I rode.&nbsp\\; I still use it in cold or rainy weather but prefer the half helmet for nice weather.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They told us the same thing... 3/4 or full face - I already owned a half and wasn't gonna go out and buy a full face for the class.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; When I showed up ALL of the instructors had half helmets on as well as 80% of the students - as long as it's DOT I think you're fine.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I dunno if they make halfs or not but my son's Z1R is a good helmet and not a lot of $$.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've got a HD half that was on sale at the stealership.

I've found around here that the "powersports" places tend to have a wider selection of brands to try on. I brought my son there had him get the right size.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I started off with no helmet. The windy conditions in Kansas would really annoy me, so I started to wear a 3/4 helmet. It didn't block enough of the strong side winds, so I switched to a full face helmet. It eliminated the wind from getting in my eyes and up my nose from the side. It requires living in Kansas to appreciate what I am trying to describe.
A few years after that I was in a pretty good wreak and&nbsp\\;the full face model may have saved my life. It sure saved my face, since the chin guard, visor and forehead part of the helmet were really ground down. Now I think of my full face more in safety terms then as a wind blocker.
Tom

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a 3/4 with a face shield when I'm on the road and a 1/2 around town.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a full face your brand choice first. Your money buy what you can afford or like. If you wish to wear a different helmet later after the class buy something else. Full faces are good for protection from yourself and extreme weather. Otherwise they suck. Heavy, restrictive and I sweat like a pig wearing one. I wear half when I wear a helmet normally. Always wear eye protection with&nbsp\\; and without a helmet. Just my thoughts on the helmet issue.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a good full face helmet from shoei or arai does not suck, is definately NOT heavy, nor does it make one sweat profusely.&nbsp\\; cheaper ones?&nbsp\\; yeah definately.&nbsp\\; Modular ones?&nbsp\\; Heavy as can be.
&nbsp\\;
my personal opinion of course, but rarely do i hear ANYONE complain about shoei or arai full face helmets.&nbsp\\; but please, correct me if i'm wrong.
&nbsp\\;
rob

Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Ask around at your local dealers..... most places sell helmets by color, and little else..... see if there is someone who can actually help you.
All helmets are not created equally.... (forget that DOT/SNELL for a minute) you want a helmet that fits your head, snugly, without causing pressure points.
Like a bike.... any helmet that isn't comfortable on the showroom floor, will be a beech to live with.
Same brand different style will fit differently.
put the helmet on
strap it tight
walk around for a minute... is it comfortable?
grab the helmet, from the rear (while straped on) and pull the bottom up... does the helmet come off?(you'd be surprised how many do)

Quick Reply: New Rider Helmet Advice?