General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Helmet Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New Rider Helmet Advice?

Lol all helmets suck. Even the lightest are heavy on my head.&nbsp\\;A bandanna is heavy. I own six helmets from Full to rally half helmet light. I even have a non dot&nbsp\\; shell. They all suck. I wear a helmet 50% of the time by choice. I do not recommend not wearing a helmet. But a new rider needs a helmet. Not trying to change anyones opinion about helmets just stating mine.
ORIGINAL: rob i

a good full face helmet from shoei or arai does not suck, is definately NOT heavy, nor does it make one sweat profusely.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; cheaper ones?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; yeah definately.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Modular ones?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Heavy as can be.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
my personal opinion of course, but rarely do i hear ANYONE complain about shoei or arai full face helmets.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; but please, correct me if i'm wrong.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
rob

Old 07-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Frankster69
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a shoei full face that I use for trips and cold weather fits well and feels good doesnt hurt your head when youve had it on for awile like the cheaper ones you get what you pay for

Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Never purchase a used helmet, period. I wear a 1/2 HD for around town putting. Last month purchased a 3/4 Shoei RJ Platnium-R which I really like. Use it for traveling and back and forth to work (60mi r/trip). I really like the venting system which keeps my head cool on warmer days and it doesn't try to rip my head off riding during high winds. Plus it keeps the bugs out of my ears. Both are DOT with the Shoei also being Snell 2005 rated. Only thing I don't like about the Shoei is it's HUGE for 3/4 helmet! Full's are better protection I realize, but too constricting even for my safety conscientious thinking head.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:08 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

Helmets are a very subjective thing.&nbsp\\; Fit is most important for both comfort and safety.&nbsp\\; It should fit snugly around your entire head, no pressure points at all.&nbsp\\; If it's tight in the front and loose on the sides, it will not be comfortable.&nbsp\\; As far as 1/2 vs 3/4 vs full face, you just need to try each out.&nbsp\\; Honestly, a good full face helmet will ventilate extremely well (I wear a black AGV&nbsp\\; Xvent and I live in texas, and after a 3 hour ride my hair is dry.)&nbsp\\; I personally prefer a full face because it cuts down on turbulence and wind noise, plus I wear contacts and a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet really dries out my eyes.&nbsp\\; I'd recommend that you get a full face helmet (a good one that vents well like the AGV, Arai, Shoei or Scorpion 1000) because when the weather gets cold, you'll want one anyway.&nbsp\\; Then I'd try a 3/4 or full face to see if you like it.&nbsp\\; I tried a Scorpion EXO 100 half helmet, and although it is extremely well designed and has a lot of cool features (flip down tinted visor that retracts into the shell), I couldn't stand it.&nbsp\\; Honestly, I'll never switch from a full face again.&nbsp\\; Go to webbikeworld.com and look at all of their reviews.&nbsp\\; They are a great source and seem to be unbiased in their opinions.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 AM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that ain't you Bobby...Old Geezer, my friend had a Honda Trail 70 just like that and a Hodaka which was similar(it was a&nbsp\\; "motocross" 100 style. Actually, I think he rode the Honda much better and faster than the Hodaka...brought back memories...
ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

I wear a 3/4 with a face shield when I'm on the road and a 1/2 around town.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
PH2008NIGHTSTER
Intermediate

Have freind who's helmet saved his life "Shoei RF-1000", convinced me when I bought my bike and hearing his story to go full face and buy a good helmet!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best advise I can give is regardless of what style you choose, make sure it fits your head shape. Some Manufacturers produce round helmets for round headed individuals, while others produce oval shaped helmets for oval shaped heads, etc...etc... That said, I have somewhat of an oval shaped head and my Shoei RF1000 fits me perfectly.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
CoffeeGuy
Advanced

very cool - thanks much for the advice. I'm going to head down to Performance in denver and try on helmets until I find one that fits my oval, but small, cranium.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 AM
ToddRx
Intermediate

I have all 3 styles but honestly my Shoei full face gets worn for most rides. Maybe for just the short hops around town I throw on the half. You will figure out your own style!!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

When I started riding again four years ago I bought a 1/2 helmet.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;After a couple years with the 1/2&nbsp\\;I noted that my poor hearing was beginning to get worse&nbsp\\;from all the road and wind noise.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Now I wear the FF and ear plugs almost exclusively.&nbsp\\; My research here on the forum&nbsp\\;dug up that Shoei is one of the better&nbsp\\;brands and if I&nbsp\\;shopped around was&nbsp\\;in a price range I could afford.&nbsp\\; I stopped in a lot of&nbsp\\;along the Front Range (Ft. Collins to Pueblo) and tried on a lot of different helmets before eventually deciding on the Shoei RF-1000.&nbsp\\; I found the best price on the helmet on Ebay and saved about $80.&nbsp\\; I really like this helmet.&nbsp\\; It has air vents in the right places and my head is generally cool during highway speeds.&nbsp\\; BTW, it gets hot down here in Pueblo.
&nbsp\\;
I considered a&nbsp\\;3/4 helmet at one time but chose the FF for two reasons\\; a) the obvious safety issue (there have been a couple friends on the forum who've wrecked and were saved from severe facial injuries by their FF helmet) and, b) my concern for keeping the hearing I still have.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck with your search and ride safe.