Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM
roadking1893
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue ridge Parkway

Call me crazy of just a new rider with energy to burn.&nbsp\\; Has anyone riden the full distance of "Blue Ridge Parkway" 469 miles.&nbsp\\; After my experience at Deals Gap and the sorrounding great roads I looked up "Skyline Drive' which is only two hours ride from me then I noticed it becomes "Blue Ridge Parkway" ending at 441 at the "Smokey Moutain" area close to the Dragon.
&nbsp\\;
Now I am thinking of riding the entire lenght of the parkway but I need some inputs from those who've riden it.&nbsp\\; Like: at what speed is the parkway?&nbsp\\; how many mile before stopping for the day?&nbsp\\; What time of the year is good to ride it?&nbsp\\; What hazard one can look for during the ride?&nbsp\\; I am currently planning on doing this around the labor day week end.&nbsp\\; Thank you in advance.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Blue ridge Parkway

i've ridden it. took it in last august. great ride. i rode it north to the terminus. with a few days in wv. then rode it south back home so i could get a change in scenery. obstacles are too many to mention. just like any other road, turkeys, deer, etc... brp is also where i wrecked on 4/30/08. don't look down to undo a zipper too long or it'll bite ya[:@]. good luck you can't go wrong on this one. .

Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master

Great Ride i did it in May 3-4 years ago..45 i belive was the speed limit...as already said wildlife and slow cars are the things to watch out for...one other thing buy gas when you see it not many places to get gas actually on the parkway...i guess the biggest thing i can think of is dont get in a hurry...this is why i did it by myself if i wanted to stop at a lookout or stop and see something interesting off the parkway i did..no one telling me we got to go...i stopped for the day when i wanted to...no reservation but i did get some motels off the net that were close to the parkway.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i've done it 3 times.....scenery is better on the south end to me....turkeys were my main concern....dawn and dusk ridin was riskier....do it in the middle of the week and you'll have fewer cars to deal with

Old 07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

speed limit 45........I never rode that fast for very long. Labot day weekend may be crowded at certain areas.
&nbsp\\;Personally, I can't picture myself riding it after sunset (why would anyone...)....so ride it as long as you like.&nbsp\\; I ride with a GPS.....so gas is not to hard to find, just start looking for it before you need it.......same as restrooms if you are so inclined.
&nbsp\\; I am not from a curvy road state (Florida) so I always suspect some car will be stalled&nbsp\\;
around a blind curve...or some bike laying in the road for me to hit, so I am more cautious
exiting a curve.
&nbsp\\; Ridning the length of the Blue Ridge..so8unds like something to add to my "bucket list".
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Chuck

Old 07-01-2008, 04:25 PM
scott63
Cruiser

It is a great ride. Be sure to locate a map that shows the exits that have gas available, as none is available on the parkway itself.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:35 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A&nbsp\\;great ride.&nbsp\\; Last June I started in Front Royal, VA at the beginning of Skyline Drive, and rode to the Southern end of the BRP over a 4 day period (about 120 to 150 miles per day).&nbsp\\; No reservations anywhere except in Front Royal and were able to find plenty of accomodations off the parkway, usually within 20 to 30 miles.&nbsp\\; I plan to do at least the Southern end of the BRP again, possibly this Fall.&nbsp\\; Speed limit of the BRP is 45, and 35 on Skyline Dr.&nbsp\\; The only hazards we encountered was riding in the rain the third and fourth days.&nbsp\\; It wasn't too bad, but the tunnels made it tricky.&nbsp\\; Overall, it's the best trip I've taken and you need to allow enough time to stop and look at things along the way.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ride it often and with varying mileage, but always a good ride. 45mph

Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yea on the tunnels watch out for the bicycles, esp around asheville. they are extremely hard to see when going from bright light into the tunnels. many of them hear you coming and yeild, but some of them own the road if you know what i'm sayin..

Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Sugar Daddy
Novice

The wife and I rode Skyline Drive and the BRP from N to S last summer over 3 days. Stopped in Roanoke the 1st night and Banner Elk NC the 2nd night. Its a great trip and some beautiful scenery.&nbsp\\;Plan on&nbsp\\;3 days and you'll be able to take it easy and stop to enjoy the scenery and things along the way.
&nbsp\\;
You may be new at riding, but you already have good taste in destinations!

Quick Reply: Blue ridge Parkway