General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So does riding contribute to road rage...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Bluerose
Default So does riding contribute to road rage...?

I find more and more I want to kick cars and take off mirrors?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
For instance a guy cut me off (I mean he got realllllly close).&nbsp\\; My first thought is "*******"...and my&nbsp\\;second thought as he put others in danger (at least two other motorcycles) as he weaved through traffic.&nbsp\\; is god I wish I could give his nice shiny new car a big swift kick.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Seems I am way less tolerant of people driving like idiots.&nbsp\\; I think Hubby's jaw dropped when heard the cursing I did at a lady that came out of a parking lot lane and did not even think about stopping for cross traffic.
&nbsp\\;
Is it just me?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: So does riding contribute to road rage...?

Put down the keys and step back from the bike. I think its all attitude. I ride with the thought that others dont see us too well. Some drive so stupid that they act like they dont see a rather large pickup truck coming at them. Instead of getting mad every other block or so I ride around trying to find all the stupids. Kinda old to be playing games but it keeps me calmer knowing I can identify the idiots and avoid them more often than not. Its going to happen just about every time you ride so be ready for it.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Other Sheep

Put down the keys and step back from the bike. I think its all attitude. I ride with the thought that others dont see us too well. Some drive so stupid that they act like they dont see a rather large pickup truck coming at them. Instead of getting mad every other block or so I ride around trying to find all the stupids. Kinda old to be playing games but it keeps me calmer knowing I can identify the idiots and avoid them more often than not. Its going to happen just about every time you ride so be ready for it.
&nbsp\\;
The thing is they don't see large SUVs or pickups either...in 2 years I have rearended once and nearly driven off the road twice in my SUV (crossover).&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
The guy the other day saw me.&nbsp\\; He split 2 bikes because he could not read and was in the wrong lane to enter the freeway.&nbsp\\; He almost took out a sport bike and another car because he was in a hurry to get out of the slow lane once on the freeway.[:@]&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There are 'idiot drivers' everywhere, and there is very little anyone can do to change their behavior on the highways.
&nbsp\\;
If I let myself get stressed out everytime a driver did something stupid and dangerous in their vehicle I'd lead a very miserable life, and I might as well leave my bikes in the garage.
&nbsp\\;
Just another reason why you should always ride in a defense mode, and just assume that you are invisible to 99% of the drivers out there.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
You need to watch out for&nbsp\\;idiot drivers&nbsp\\;as a rider sitting out in the open on top of a 600 pound bike doesn't have much of a chance against someone sitting inside of a 3,500+ pound vehicle.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

We hear you Bluerose,but like you have read,try and let it slide off your back,let it make you a better rider.The IDIOT'S are not going away.You do need to vent,we all do.Just keep your eyes peeled for cagers that are having the human moments we all have.Dog

Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 AM
BBQ.Uncle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with most of what's been said here, however, I don't let a little thing like not stressing out keep me from kicking away at a car that is too close.&nbsp\\; If they're close enough for me to reach with a kick from my bike,&nbsp\\;they've gotten too close and deserve a friendly foot warning.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Other than that, just ride defensively and try to enjoy yourself as best you can.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BBQ.Uncle

Agree with most of what's been said here, however, I don't let a little thing like not stressing out keep me from kicking away at a car that is too close.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If they're close enough for me to reach with a kick from my bike,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;they've gotten too close and deserve a friendly foot warning.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Other than that, just ride defensively and try to enjoy yourself as best you can.
&nbsp\\;
As long as they don't decide to return the favor with a Pursuit Intervention Technique (PIT) Maneuver on you and your bike.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I live near VA Beach and we get lots of out of towners this time of year. I have to drive across the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel almost everyday. It gives a nice view of the aircraft carriers at the Navy base which seems to cause people to stare and not pay attention to what they are doing. A couple of times in the past week I had people merge right into my lane with me still in it, not lots of room on the left shoulder of the bridge and it is alway covered in sand or some other kind of marbles.

I always tell myself I will stay calm and not pull up to them in traffic and give them a piece of my mind, but it usually does not work out that way I really need to work on that becuase it is dangerous. Thankfully I have not kicked a car or kicked a mirror off since I was much younger, though the urge does hit me from time to time.

The last person to cut me off did so right in front of a trooper. He was rolling right along in traffic with us. I turned at and looked at him after avoiding the car and pointed, he just shook his head and took off down the shoulder. I guess he wanted me to take care of it myself, lol.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah, it's just a game...very seldom do I let these idiots get the best of me, ie. losing my temper, kicking in their doors...etc.
&nbsp\\;
Mellow out.&nbsp\\; Enjoy the ride.&nbsp\\; When you get to your destination unscathed you WIN.....

Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
TideRKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's the riding that contributes to it but the realization of how close to serious injury or worse that these people put us because of their actions.

Quick Reply: So does riding contribute to road rage...?