General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novelty Helmet Laws in California

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Novelty Helmet Laws in California

I don't usually wear helmets because I live in a state that does not require them. But I figured that maybe I should. I purchased a DOT helmet yesterday and even though it was an extra small, I still look like Lord Helmet from SpaceBalls in that thing.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Scrweball

I wonder why?...lmao

Ride Safe!

Old 03-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Redneck
Road Captain

I have ridden in California all my life and the only place I have seen bikers pulled over for wearing a novelty helmets was in Huntington Beach.
The cops there are just looking for anything to pull you over, and once they do they start looking at everything on your bike.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

I'll be in CA for 2 years starting this June so this thread is interesting and informative. I'll have out of state tags too - joy.

Gotta ask the question cause I think I might be missing the point.

Since the following is true:
- You have to wear a helmet because of state law (assumes you are in a state with helmet laws)
- DOT helmets can and do in many cases look identical to novelty helmets
- A DOT helmet will save your skull in accidents where a novelty helmet will not (assuming bodily injury is survivable in all cases)
- Cost is about the same for either type of helmet

Why not just get a DOT helmet?

I have three DOT buckets. Do I lose cool points because I don't wear a fake helmet? Haven't seen any studies where anyone was killed because they were wearing a DOT helmet. However, have seen a few stories and pictures of what happens to novelty helmets in accidents.

Like I said, mabe I have missed the point here. If you have to wear a helmet, why not wear something that will offer some protection?
I completely agree on this one. What's the point in wearing a non-compliant helmet? If you're required to wear a helmet, it only makes sense to wear one that offers protection. Is it really worth all the hassle of worrying about getting tickets, where you can ride without being hassled, etc? I never thought helmets did much for my wardrobe so I just don't worry about it...so I ride with full face.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:46 AM
BigJohn
Cruiser

My friend got pulled over in Huntington Beach for a non dot helmet, it cost him 85 bucks. Thats exactly what my H-D dot approved helmet cost me at Harley. It was 50% off at the time, and it looked just like, and weighed about the same as his. He just thought it was cooler to be 'defiant'. I saw a program when I was a kid, it was called 'scared straight'. I dont give any cop any reason to pull me over. If that makes me a looser, Oh well. Ride safe all.