General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novelty Helmet Laws in California

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:55 AM
sc409
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Novelty Helmet Laws in California

Purchase an inexpensive helmet, 1/2 coverage, for $39 and bring them. I can't remember when I have seen a person not wearing a helmet in SoCal, You'll be a big target for the CHP. Palm Springs coming up on April, Spring VC, will be a ball buster.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:28 AM
dozer22
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was actually pulled over a couple of weeks ago in the rain. It was in Santa Barbara near hwy 101 and hwy 154. I wasn't speeding and everthing is current so I figured it was for my novelty helmet, but the CHP officer wanted to warn me about ice on hwy 154. I thanked him and we ended up talking for a few because he said he was off in a couple of hours and was going to have ride home in the rain also. The last thing he said was "if you're going to ride in this kind of weather, you better get rid of that brain bucket and get a real helmet!". Too funny, but I wonder if that was my 1 get out of jail free card????

Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 AM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, Just stuff a LIME on yer head and when you pass a Cop, look him square in the eye, crack the throttle once and yell,

"GO AHEAD!!!!!!I DARE YA!!!!!"

LMAO

(God! I crack myself up!)

Old 03-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Road King Rider
Intermediate

My friends and I all live in the city Of Los Angeles,
We all wear novelty helmets.
none of us have had a problem.

I heard of one tale, the law asked to see the underside of helmet, no tags/labels stating novelty means
NO TICKET!

Old 03-09-2006, 12:45 PM
timbo
Cruiser

Cops are like a box o' chocolates, ya never know just what your gonna get. Every one of them has their own pet peeves just like you do. If he happens to dislike Harleys or the people that ride them your up a creek. It's a crapshoot as with anything else. I can say this with authority because I am one.

Me? I've got alot more important things to do than worry about or fret over someone who isn't going to take care of themselves. Ya wanna wear a beanie go ahead, I'm not your babysitter. Got loud pipes? Fine. Ride like ya got some sense. Start rapping them in the town square while acting like a circus clown and we've got a problem. Otherwise, ride on and have a great day.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

It is not a major crack down by any means, they check in the some area and rarely. Having said that, if feel obligated to tell about the helmet that I bought for that very reason. It is a DOT that is as close as it gets to the novelty helmets. Check them out here:
http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dot.htm

[IMG]local://upfiles/4277/396710A67E194D95BA47B3F442CD65E1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only in Tracy CA will the cop pull you over for a non-dot helmet. I was in LA two weeks ago and didn't have a problem.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

Got a ticket for 'non-compliant helmet in Hermosa Beach a couple of years ago. Jerk reserve cop. Cost $125. I was wearing the chrome novelty helmet. The black one is DOT, I wear it when I go anywhere in Orange County Ca, or along the coast. Good Luck, have a fun ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3757/FAB21683E43E4A2083A7A2BC3DFE1173.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3757/97857C0D69AC4E838E51F64765B9E701.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be in CA for 2 years starting this June so this thread is interesting and informative. I'll have out of state tags too - joy.

Gotta ask the question cause I think I might be missing the point.

Since the following is true:
- You have to wear a helmet because of state law (assumes you are in a state with helmet laws)
- DOT helmets can and do in many cases look identical to novelty helmets
- A DOT helmet will save your skull in accidents where a novelty helmet will not (assuming bodily injury is survivable in all cases)
- Cost is about the same for either type of helmet

Why not just get a DOT helmet?

I have three DOT buckets. Do I lose cool points because I don't wear a fake helmet? Haven't seen any studies where anyone was killed because they were wearing a DOT helmet. However, have seen a few stories and pictures of what happens to novelty helmets in accidents.

Like I said, mabe I have missed the point here. If you have to wear a helmet, why not wear something that will offer some protection?

Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Sounds to me it's because of the looks. the novelty helmets are thinner than their DOT brethren. Personally i sprung for the DOT ACC helmet, not much thicker and gives me a little more piece of mind. (no pun intended)

I've always worn a full face helmet so it's a new thing for me to. Just like the idea of being able to look "cool" while riding my H-D in the warmer months!

Quick Reply: Novelty Helmet Laws in California