General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevron Delo 15 40 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Chevron Delo 15 40 Oil

Harley oil is made by whoever has the cheapest bid when the contract is up.

Nothing wrong with running the diesel oils if you want. I use Royal Purple in my bike and I get better milage and she seems to run better.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:21 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read posts about Oils it all ways seams to go in circles. I use Moble 1 in the Cages HDsyn in the Bikes. Was going try Amsoil in the bikes. and Amsoil gear lube in my Jeep Difs. But they don't sell it around were I live and Im not goimg to waste my time and money driving around for it. Back in the 60's and 70's It all was about Pennsylvania refined Oil's don't read much on that any more.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Brazos Springer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be advised that the new Delo 400&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;15/40 L.E. [ low&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;emissions ]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;has same additive package but with reduced numbers which is why&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I stocked up on the old Delo 400&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;15/40 formula. Old formula&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;[ non L.E. ] is hard to find&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; as they quit producing it&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;some&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; time back. I suspect that&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; the&nbsp\\; other \\\\\\;diesel dinos &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;have done the same&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; , Rotella , Delvac.....etc. etc.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
note: not saying the new stuff is not any good , just being more specific.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

ORIGINAL: pococj

The only problem with it is that it does not meet the specs on viscosity that HD says during warmer weather.
That fact, in and of itself, can cause a voided warranty if there is an engine whizoo.
As far as the oil additive package, the Delo probably has a better overall package than the standard HD oil, and as good as many other oils.
Citation, please? How does Multigrade SAE 15W-40 not work as other 15W-40 oils? PS I don't want enough polymers in my oil to push it to say 5W-50.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Nothing to do with whether it is a multi-grade, but with the 40 viscosity.
If you run the summer here in Texas with a 40 weight in your HD you won't like the results long-term.
Noisy will not describe it.
An example-
2007 Sportster owner's manual, page 80.
SAE 10w40 - lowest ambient temperature below 40 F.
SAE 20w50 - lowest ambient above 40 F.
Quoting, The preferred viscosities for the diesel engine oils in descending order are - 20W50, 15W40 and 10W40.

If you run incorrect viscosity for the temperatures you ride in, could you beat their claim of warranty voiding?
Maybe, if you could show the oil did not cause the damage.
But how much would it cost to hire the big guns needed to do that?
And how long would it take, with you being without a bike?

Finally, I do not run HD oil.
I run Mobil 1 15w-50.
But that may soon change as I am getting ready to have a sample tested.
I was not happy with the last sample tested.
If I change it will not be to HD oil.
I refuse on moral grounds to use anything Citgo-related.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The only problem with it is that it does not meet the specs on viscosity that HD says during warmer weather.
That fact, in and of itself, can cause a voided warranty if there is an engine whizoo.
As far as the oil additive package, the Delo probably has a better overall package than the standard HD oil, and as good as many other oils.
Citation, please? How does Multigrade SAE 15W-40 not work as other 15W-40 oils? PS I don't want enough polymers in my oil to push it to say 5W-50.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Nothing to do with whether it is a multi-grade, but with the 40 viscosity.
If you run the summer here in Texas with a 40 weight in your HD you won't like the results long-term.
Noisy will not describe it.
An example-
2007 Sportster owner's manual, page 80.
SAE 10w40 - lowest ambient temperature below 40 F.
SAE 20w50 - lowest ambient above 40 F.
Quoting, The preferred viscosities for the diesel engine oils in descending order are - 20W50, 15W40 and 10W40.

If you run incorrect viscosity for the temperatures you ride in, could you beat their claim of warranty voiding?
Maybe, if you could show the oil did not cause the damage.
But how much would it cost to hire the big guns needed to do that?
And how long would it take, with you being without a bike?

Finally, I do not run HD oil.
I run Mobil 1 15w-50.
But that may soon change as I am getting ready to have a sample tested.
I was not happy with the last sample tested.
If I change it will not be to HD oil.
I refuse on moral grounds to use anything Citgo-related.

Good points but remember Harley knows that the new bikes are running hotter than hell. Everything changes when you do a stage 1 or even if you run an earlier bike. I still don't like the amount of polymers it takes to push oil to 15W-50. I run my bikes a little rich and therefore a little cool. I got 140k miles on an EVO on Delo 10W-40 and never looked back. I'm sure not worried about my stage II twinkies. Imho if your bike is running hot you're ruining it no matter what oil you use.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Good points but remember Harley knows that the new bikes are running hotter than hell. Everything changes when you do a stage 1 or even if you run an earlier bike. I still don't like the amount of polymers it takes to push oil to 15W-50. I run my bikes a little rich and therefore a little cool. I got 140k miles on an EVO on Delo 10W-40 and never looked back. I'm sure not worried about my stage II twinkies. Imho if your bike is running hot you're ruining it no matter what oil you use.
Last year when the crack in my Evo left side case&nbsp\\; (caused by idiot using sheet metal screw on alternator lead clamp) got so bad the oil pooled under the bike whenever I parked it, I used some Rotella 15W-40 and some Delo 15W-40 that I had left over from the winter riding season.
Both these otherwise excellent oils were not up to the task of 100+ F days.
I could ride to work in the early morning, about 44 miles, average temps about 75 - 80 F, with no problems at all.
I could ride home from work with no problem unless I pushed it up to 80+ for the last leg of 12 miles.
When I went on my usual Saturday rides, normally 200 to 400 miles, at about the 100 mile mark the engine would start acting up, clanking, rattling, etc.
I hit Wally World and grabbed some Super Tech 20W-50 and the problem went away.
My conclusion is that the 40 weight was too thin.
At any rate, I got through the summer on the ol' Sloptail, and then started riding the Nightster while going through the old bike.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
mrtmblwd
Stage II

want to let you know just bought a new 2011 heritage and owners manual states to use delo oil or any other oil used for diesil engines, if not running synthetic or hd oils, it gives the specs

Old 09-12-2010, 08:07 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for exsuming a 2 year old oil thread!
Welcome to to the forum.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:04 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Thanks for exsuming a 2 year old oil thread!
Welcome to to the forum.
If you don't like it just SKIP READING IT... it would be a shame to not learn about the changes going on in two years time and what newer members of the forum think. There nothing wrong with going over new ideas on the same old material... beats the hell out of "what the wife did on her last ride"............IMO

Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM
olwizard88
Stage II
Default Delo and other oils

Hi This link should shed some in depth light on oils even Delo and the lowest winning bidder who is making H.D. oils last year it was Kendall SoUno...this link will shed all the light youll need to know about oils --->
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Quick Reply: Chevron Delo 15 40 Oil