General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevron Delo 15 40 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Chevron Delo 15 40 Oil

Delo 400 &nbsp\\; Calcium = 2784 ppm&nbsp\\; Phos = 1142&nbsp\\; Zinc = 1235

HD Syn 3&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Ca = 1342&nbsp\\; Mg = 740&nbsp\\; Phos = 997&nbsp\\; Zn = 1235

Mobil 1 V-Twin&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Ca = 2648&nbsp\\; Phos = 1683&nbsp\\; Zn = 1823

Additive package adds up pretty good, eh?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:29 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: bagman1

Delo is good for diesels but NOT for air cooled HD's your longevity will be shortened. It doesent have the additive package for motorcycles. Go online and find a Chevron oil rep and they will explain the differences. Ive been in the transportation maintenance business for 35+ years and looked into oil products, they have a specific application. I remember my 99 owners manual said you could in a pinch use non detergent diesel oil, but to immediately change it right away.
Delo is detergent. In fact it has a better detergent package than most oils we can otherwise buy.

http://*******.com/447cv8

Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pococj

The only problem with it is that it does not meet the specs on viscosity that HD says during warmer weather.
That fact, in and of itself, can cause a voided warranty if there is an engine whizoo.
As far as the oil additive package, the Delo probably has a better overall package than the standard HD oil, and as good as many other oils.
Citation, please? How does Multigrade SAE 15W-40 not work as other 15W-40 oils? PS I don't want enough polymers in my oil to push it to say 5W-50.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bagman1

Delo is good for diesels but NOT for air cooled HD's your longevity will be shortened. It doesent have the additive package for motorcycles. Go online and find a Chevron oil rep and they will explain the differences. Ive been in the transportation maintenance business for 35+ years and looked into oil products, they have a specific application. I remember my 99 owners manual said you could in a pinch use non detergent diesel oil, but to immediately change it right away.
Bullshit. Prove to me that you are a petroleum engineer and a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and then post a paper by SAE that backs up that statement. I don't care how long you've been a grease monkey. When you make a bullshit statement, don't tell me to go online and research it. YOU go online and find where SAE agrees with you and post a link to back up the statement.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Harley, in the past, &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;has recommended the Diesel grade oil if " Genuine Harley" is not available. Nobody really know what Harley oil is except Harley, for all we know it could be Citgo automotve oil. I remember when Harley said never run synthetic oil&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;until Harley had a synthetic oil? I've used 15w 40 Rotella T many, many&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;times in my Evo and in my older p/u and never had any problems. I wished they made it in 20w50 wt.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I've never&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;seen engine damage on a Harley engine caused from using non Harley oil and myself along with many friends that ride Harleys, have run thru barrels of it over the many years.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I believe some oils are better than others, especially for motorcycles. But I don't buy into all the advertisements, its just the business of selling oil, imo.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Mikey 1450

Harley, in the past, has recommended the Diesel grade oil if " Genuine Harley" is not available. Nobody really know what Harley oil is except Harley, for all we know it could be Citgo automotve oil. I remember when Harley said never run synthetic oil until Harley had a synthetic oil? I've used 15w 40 Rotella T many, many times in my Evo and in my older p/u and never had any problems. I wished they made it in 20w50 wt. I've never seen engine damage on a Harley engine caused from using non Harley oil and myself along with many friends that ride Harleys have run barrels of it over many years. I believe some oils are better than others, especially for motorcycles. But I don't buy into all the advertisements, its just the business of selling oil, imo.
+10. Pay attention ONLY to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) ratings. They don't sell oil, they are independent and only rate oil.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 AM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another good oil....http://johndeere.com/en_US/parts/par...s50_15w40.html

Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Please be very wary of automotive oils for your bikes. In the past few years oil makers have drastically reduced the amount of zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP) in the oils to stop the fouling of catalytic converters. ZDDP is the additive that helps oil bind to bearing surfaces. Diesel oils don't have that issue because diesels don't have the same converters. It's widely believed that the lubricity of diesel oils is therefore superior now.
&nbsp\\;
It could even be that your automotive oil is killing off your car prematurely.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

&nbsp\\;JBaker, Good point. I read where the oils that have the reduced zinc ( that are referring to) can be be identified by the star burst emblem on the bottle. I&nbsp\\;also read&nbsp\\;these are limited to the lighter wt oils, 10w30 and lighter. The 20w50 and heavier oils also &nbsp\\;are&nbsp\\;exempt and are not recommended for late model autos with emmissions anyway.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 07:46 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mikey 1450

Harley, in the past, &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;has recommended the Diesel grade oil if " Genuine Harley" is not available. Nobody really know what Harley oil is except Harley, for all we know it could be Citgo automotve oil. I remember when Harley said never run synthetic oil&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;until Harley had a synthetic oil? I've used 15w 40 Rotella T many, many&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;times in my Evo and in my older p/u and never had any problems. I wished they made it in 20w50 wt.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;I've never&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;seen engine damage on a Harley engine caused from using non Harley oil and myself along with many friends that ride Harleys, have run thru barrels of it over the many years.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;I believe some oils are better than others, especially for motorcycles. But I don't buy into all the advertisements, its just the business of selling oil, imo.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
Harley oil&nbsp\\;IS CITCO.!!!!

Quick Reply: Chevron Delo 15 40 Oil