General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is popping from the exhaust normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 10:14 PM
barjbar
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Is popping from the exhaust normal?

I got my Heritage back from the indy shop that did the stage one.&nbsp\\; It is really sweet. Sounds great and is quick but there's a minimal amount of popping when I release the throttle.&nbsp\\; I called them and they said there's nothing wrong but if I want to bring it back they'll tune it out while I wait. They dyno tuned it and gave me the graph.&nbsp\\; I was going to take it back but now I kind of like the sound&nbsp\\; and I'm afraid I might lose a bit of power.&nbsp\\; Should I leave it or take it back? The dyno showed 72hp and 85 torque in 4th gear at the wheel.

Old 06-30-2008 | 12:17 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Default RE: Is popping from the exhaust normal?

A good dyno tuner should be able to eliminate most, if not all of the decel popping.

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:01 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

I believe its because its running a tad rich and the popping sound&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;is unburnt fuel igniting in the exhausts.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; As I understand it, its really not a problem, but I didn't like it and as my Dealer couldn't get rid of it with&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H fueler they fitted, so they replaced it with a Kytech fueler which has practically to all intents and purpose&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;eliminated the problem.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I'm not an expert but I don't think Dyno tuning is&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a big thing here in the UK.

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:08 AM
dmgary
Cruiser

Any tuner that knows what they are doing will be able to tune this out. i know on my SERT there is a section called decel&nbsp\\; thats where they make this go away. But it wont hurt your motor that im aware of.... Good luck and enjoy the new found power &nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:28 AM
08FXST
Cruiser

Mine does it...I think it sounds cool

Old 06-30-2008 | 03:50 AM
Dodzi
Advanced

Gaffy - its a big thing with the race boys and the only way to correctly tune an engine to its specific requirements as each one differs as its pushed out of the factory. With the tuning packs they load on a "suggested" setting for each airfilter/exhaust/engine configs as supplied by the fuel pack manufacturer. These are derived from them performin teir own dyno runs. Generally the "Suggested" setting is satisfactory but you can dyno it to fine tune it.
&nbsp\\;Your quite right in as to what it is - unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust on the over run - sounds very cool and causes no harm to the engine. As a rule its always better run run rich rather than lean as this means the engine runs cooler and there is less risk of burning a hole in the top of the piston.

Old 06-30-2008 | 07:52 AM
barjbar
|
Elite HDF Member

Thanks guys.&nbsp\\; It's minimal and I kind of like it so I'm going to leave it as it is.

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:30 AM
Hangfire1
Tourer

I love this forum, I was riding yesterday and noticed the same thing with my Deluxe.

At first I was kinda put off by the sound thinking something may be wrong. It isn't excessive but I did notice it. Glad to know it's just a bit of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Whew!

Sweet Heritage barjbar!

Old 06-30-2008 | 11:42 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

I think it's a cool sound too!

Old 06-30-2008 | 12:20 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

In my house it is, but I try to control it in public.

Quick Reply: Is popping from the exhaust normal?