General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT another helmet debate post

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Marco76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NOT another helmet debate post

Thanks for the responses. This is pretty much a no-BS board, and I probably need to find a more general cycle forum for this kind of pre-purchase cold-feet stuff. Reason I'm here is because I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a '08 Rocker, so I've been reading posts about soft tails and so forth. Lot's of good, practical experience here.

(By the way, I was really not trying to get into the whole helmet thing. I should not have even mentioned it in the original post even with the NOT in capitals.)

So, anyway, here's where I'm coming from: In my 20s I had a bike as my sole transport for a couple of years (I'm in my 50s now). So I had a good dose of real experience, but that was a long time ago and did not amount to anything like being an expert. Also, the bike was a 250 scrambler, so whole other type of riding. (RR Anonymous meeting: "My name is Marco, and I rode a scrambler." "Hello, Marco.")

The two largest groups of cycle grease marks are kids with no judgement on their first bikes and old fart wannabes who get in over their heads. Both are really experience problems. My best hope comes from that I survived two years as the former and so have a smattering of experience to bring to the "old fart" stage. In the final analysis, there is no substitute for getting out there and doing the miles, but I can also try to pick up the benefit of the wisdom of other riders and maybe spare myself a stupid and costly mistake.

I agree, though, that in the meantime, I should try not to be a total pain in the a@@ to you guys.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Marco, two things.&nbsp\\; First, yes there are stupid questions but I don't think yours was one of them. I just wanted to let you know that you're not likely to come up with an answer to your question by posting on this forum.&nbsp\\; But hey, you never know.&nbsp\\; Second, you're not being a pain in the ***...at least not yet .

Old 06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is what you're looking for...
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
http://www.nsc.org/research/odds.aspx

Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Marco76

Thanks for the responses. This is pretty much a no-BS board, and I probably need to find a more general cycle forum for this kind of pre-purchase cold-feet stuff. Reason I'm here is because I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a '08 Rocker, so I've been reading posts about soft tails and so forth. Lot's of good, practical experience here.

(By the way, I was really not trying to get into the whole helmet thing. I should not have even mentioned it in the original post even with the NOT in capitals.)

So, anyway, here's where I'm coming from: In my 20s I had a bike as my sole transport for a couple of years (I'm in my 50s now). So I had a good dose of real experience, but that was a long time ago and did not amount to anything like being an expert. Also, the bike was a 250 scrambler, so whole other type of riding. (RR Anonymous meeting: "My name is Marco, and I rode a scrambler." "Hello, Marco.")

The two largest groups of cycle grease marks are kids with no judgement on their first bikes and old fart wannabes who get in over their heads. Both are really experience problems. My best hope comes from that I survived two years as the former and so have a smattering of experience to bring to the "old fart" stage. In the final analysis, there is no substitute for getting out there and doing the miles, but I can also try to pick up the benefit of the wisdom of other riders and maybe spare myself a stupid and costly mistake.

I agree, though, that in the meantime, I should try not to be a total pain in the a@@ to you guys.
Marco, look at it this way, you are older now which makes you wiser.&nbsp\\; That alone is one step up.&nbsp\\; As far as statistics go, if there is a 1:1,000,000 chance of something going wrong, you can say cool, those are good odds.&nbsp\\; But if you happen to be the one, the odds suck!&nbsp\\; Like the guys said, there is risk and you need to understand it, but if we were falling like flies, there would be a lot more publicity.&nbsp\\; The key is, be aware, be careful, but not so careful you endanger yourself, if that makes sense.