General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT another helmet debate post

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Marco76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NOT another helmet debate post

I think Fogoms made the point that I missed: people here have already got past dealing with the safety issue, one way or another. So, I can see why most of you don't have any use for this kind of discussion. My bad.

But look on the bright side, gentlemen. We have proved that there ARE stupid questions!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't need statistics to tell you that riding is a dangerous activity.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\; First rule for anyone comtemplating riding is that they need to accept the risk.&nbsp\\; You can reduce the risk by improving your skills and wearing protective gear but you can't eliminate it.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:49 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fogoms

The reason your search of this forum's threads came up dry is because a) we're more interested in riding H-D motorcycles than assessing the risks thereof\\\\\\; and b) we're past the risk assessment stage and most of us have presumably accepted the risks without regard to their statistical magnitude in comparison to other activities.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Search the web for studies and statistics to your heart's content.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Come on back when you decide to take up riding and take up an interest in H-D motorcycles (both of which I hope you eventually do).
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Well said, my friend...

Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think riding a motorcycle is any riskier than most other outdoor recreational activities like skiing or horseback riding.&nbsp\\; A lot more people die of head injuries in their car or shower or bathtub than from riding a motorcycle yet we still drive cars and bathe.&nbsp\\; As far as helmet use, the U of Arizona did a study years ago that showed that bikers suffered fewer and less costly accidents in non-helmet states.&nbsp\\; There's a lot of variables in such stats, mainly that you can still wear a helmet in a state where it's not required, but I still think it shows that the road to safety is not as straight and narrow as most people think.&nbsp\\; Not riding like an idiot is probably the main way to stay safe.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I ski, and I ride a Harley. I have been skiing for 35 years and have NEVER worn a helmet, and never had a problem. I have never felt with my skils that there is much of a problem. I ski hard, but not stupid, and for the most part, if I hit something it is my fault (like a tree). This is the only thing I can think I would need a helmet for when skiing.

ON the other hand, I won't ride my Harley without a helmet for several reasons -1. Asphalt is harder than snow, 2. I am going a LOT faster up to 75 MPH, 3. There are a bunch of 4000 lb cars around me going that fast too, driven by a bunch of morons. For the most part - number 3 is the reason I wear a helmet.

Also, I promised my wife I would when I bought the bike, and we all know the OL is the boss.....

Ed

Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Marco76

I think Fogoms made the point that I missed: people here have already got past dealing with the safety issue, one way or another. So, I can see why most of you don't have any use for this kind of discussion. My bad.

But look on the bright side, gentlemen. We have proved that there ARE stupid questions!
Now that's funny.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
rprpclark
Cruiser

Google the "Harry Hurt Report". A SoCal U professor who conducted the only comprehensive report that i'm aware of, i think around 1980. Very interesting if you want real facts about 'sickle accidents. No comparisons to other sports, though.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There are risks involved with any activity, and the amount of risk a person is willing to take, or accept, is up to each individual.
&nbsp\\;
I enjoy taking more risks than most, and have done so for most of my adult life.&nbsp\\; Don't believe I would be happy or content living any other way, as it keeps life from becoming stale or boring.
&nbsp\\;
As far as the 'helmet thing', use your own judgement as to what is best for you,&nbsp\\;but respect the opinions of others even if they disagree.
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 02:06 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was in Junior High School I remember reading a Dear Abby column with a letter written by an E.R. nurse about the horrors of motorcycle accidents, and the damage to non helmeted heads, and how these, and I quote, 'so called experts' in the local motorcycling community {she called them biker gangs} were lobbying to repeal this particular states helmet law. Abby wrote back that it was the duty of those with 'all their marbles' to make laws to protect the others from themselves. Now at this time I was 13 years old, but I remember asking my mom why these two old ladies referred to the biker gangs as 'so called experts'. I brought up the fact that these guys lived & breathed motorcycles. Their whole lives revolved around motorcycles. If they weren't experts, who were? Certainly not two old women who had most likely never even ridden on the back of one. And my mom, in her infinite wisdom agreed with me. {Maybe thats the reason I remembered this!} Now, using that logic 40 years later, 37 of them spent riding motorcycles, I am now the expert. I have ridden in 120 degrees to, 15 below zero, 7 lane super highways to dirt roads, rush hour bumper to bumper to not seeing anyone for miles in either direction. You get the idea, I am an expert on motorcycle riding. And I realize something else: the vast majority of you reading this are also. And the same way I would not give Abby advice on writing an advice column, or an E.R. nurse tips on setting a broken arm, I would not dream of telling any of you whether you should or should not wear a piece of gear. I trust you as intelligent, well informed adults to make up your own mind on the subject and I would not try to sway you to my individual opinion. What works for me and my riding habits may be totally different for yours. Back when I was 13, there was a popular saying, it went, you do your thing and I'll do mine. I think it's appropriate today too. My point here is for you to make up your own mind. Buy a helmet and wear it home from the store, then go to the 7-11 without it, then put it back on for the ride home. Nobody's riding styles are the same, helmets are not the same. Experiment, try out different routes, different times with and without a helmet. Become an expert on your own riding habits. To use another example, like skiing for instance. Before you started skiing you could have read every book about skiing ever written, you could have talked to every person who had ever skied since the beginning of time, but until you strapped on a pair of skis and sent your happy @ss down the hill, you didn't know nothin bout skiing! Their are lotsa horror stories people will gladly tell you about the dangers of not wearing a helmet and will go into grisly, bloody, deadly detail about the aftermath of the exclusion. Then there are the proponents of the unfettered head that will go on about having extra weight on your neck, and peripheral vision loss, and good Samaritans breaking you neck while taking the helmet off your unconscious body. But don't listen to them, make up your own mind. After all, in the end, you are the one who you are trying to keep safe. I do hope you have a long and happy "riding season", or what the people who aren't riders, call "a life".

Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

CHOICE the only answer needed!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: NOT another helmet debate post