General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted tennis shoe on my pipes :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Clinton350
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted tennis shoe on my pipes :(

So I took my girlfriend for her first ride on my bike. Later I discovered her tennis shoe melted on my pipes and I can't get the stuff off. Any ideas for what to use? I'm scared to use brillo or anything that might scratch it. Tried fingernail polish remover but it didn't work Gonna make her ride bare foot from now on!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain
Default RE: Melted tennis shoe on my pipes :(

I melted the heel of a boot on my husband's bike one time when we were riding two up.&nbsp\\; It was tedious but I got it off (carefully) using a straight edge to lift up the large chunks.&nbsp\\; Then I used an extremely fine steel wool (as fine as you can get) to get the rest.&nbsp\\; Came off pretty well.&nbsp\\; There were a couple of small scratches from the straight edge but the steel wool helped to buff those out.&nbsp\\; You can't even really notice it.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy off oven cleaner. Dont get it on the paint. Or, Never Dull polish.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The best thing I have found for that kind of stuff is to freeze/ease off any big chunks and rub with a terry cloth towel.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Fire the bike up and count to 10.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Shut it down, and very carefully spray Easy Off Oven Cleaner on the area to be cleaned and rub vigorously.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You can spray the Easy Off onto a towel/rag, but it doesn't seem to work as well.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Something about the bubbling action of it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You may have to repeat a few times, but it won't scratch.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Good luck.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GeorgiaGirl

The best thing I have found for that kind of stuff is to freeze/ease off any big chunks and rub with a terry cloth towel.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Fire the bike up and count to 10.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Shut it down, and very carefully spray Easy Off Oven Cleaner on the area to be cleaned and rub vigorously.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; You can spray the Easy Off onto a towel/rag, but it doesn't seem to work as well.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Something about the bubbling action of it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; You may have to repeat a few times, but it won't scratch.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Good luck.
Wish I knew about this forum when I melted my heel on my DH's bike! LOL&nbsp\\; I'll remember that in the future though.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
cray49a
Road Master

Try Oven Easy-off.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Got that from a friend of mine.&nbsp\\; For all I know he found it here.&nbsp\\; You'll want to polish the chrome afterwards.&nbsp\\; You may still have a few marks left after using the Easy Off, but ride the bike a few times and have another go at it.&nbsp\\; It should all eventually come off.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:14 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I sure don't recommend steel wool. I scratched a pipe with 0000, the finest grade I could find. +1 for Easy-Off and I love Simichrome brand chrome polish for the final touch.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 PM
cray49a
Road Master

Steel wool is a no no for chrome.&nbsp\\; The easy off thing works good but you still have to rub.&nbsp\\; My powder coated pipes on my old school got severly boogered up over a couple years and I just wrapped them with header wrap.&nbsp\\; Took some doing but looked great too!&nbsp\\;Keeps pipes cool enough to touch (but not hold) right after shut down.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
dheiter
3rd Gear

STEEL WOOL AS FINE AS YOU CAN GET IT WILL MENTION ABOUT POLISHING METAL

Quick Reply: Melted tennis shoe on my pipes :(