General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bunch of guys riding to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006 | 12:10 AM
burleyman
|
4th Gear
Default bunch of guys riding to Sturgis

OK folks, I'm looking for some good old common sense advice.

We are a group of 5 guys, all about 50 -55 years old. All in pretty good physical shape, but no body-builders. We all have various Harleys: Duece, Road King, Dyna.
The plan is to go to Sturgis from NY, about 1700 miles. Will take 7 days to get out there, spend 3 days there, and take 4 days to beat feet back home.
The original plan was to take a pick-up truck with bike trailer. Each would take a turn driving the truck - trailer. Once we get to Sturgis, park the truck and do the local roads for the 3 days out there. Now the group is thinking we can do the trip without the truck and trailer. That we can all do the entire trip riding the bikes. I'm the one having concerns.

No one in the group has ever done a trip of this mileage. We all have done the 200 mile Saturday or Sunday ride, but no one has HAD to do 300 - 400 miles consecutive days in a row. Are we nuts to think this trip can be done without the back-up of the truck-trailer?
One friend has cautioned me that we have a pretty tight schedule (especially coming back) and one breakdown or a real heavy rain downpour will only make the schedule that much tighter. Possibly pushing us to increase miles per day in excess of 300 to 400. Then will safety (fatigue) become an issue.

My questions; Anyone in our age group ever done a trip like this? What are the pitfalls? Am I making this a bigger deal then it is? If you have done a trip like this, would you do it again? What mistakes did you make the first time?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2006 | 12:16 AM
MOking
Tourer
Default RE: bunch of guys riding to Sturgis

Best advice....ride within your comfort zone. I have done up to 350-400 miles in a day....it isn't that hard, but you will be riding non stop once you get there. Puts you riding non stop for 2 weeks.

From NY...I'd tow

Old 03-08-2006 | 12:25 AM
jkirisits
Road Captain

i say go for it... make sure you are all completely honest with each other. if one can't do the long ride one day, all stop. hell, if ya don't make it to bike week, make it as far as you can, then turn around. sometimes it is the journey, not the destination.

Old 03-08-2006 | 12:54 AM
Bear64
Banned

How many years you guys been riding?? do any of you have much experience?? you can only go as far and as fast as your slowest rider, by slow I'm talking staying power in the saddle?? if 4 of you can do 3 600 mile days and one can only do 400 miles a day, you all do 400 miles a day..are getting my drift here its all for one, and one for all..
As for a back up truck and trailer, that I would leave up to you guys, how old are the bikes, are they well kept?? can any of you do roadside repairs??
When the four horsemen do a run, once a year usually 3500 to 4000 miles in 10 days. we ride good together, 600 mile days are real common and I'm going to be 66 this July.. we usually ride hard before lunch and mosy after lunch and after we camp or rent a room we go out for a little nite-life.. but don't hit the sauce untill we get to where-ever we are going that year, one year it was yellowstone, one year it was Gettysburg, one year it was the four cornors rally in Co. by the way we never have a truck or trailer with us..I have the oldest bike with the most miles on it, 99 FLHT with 128,000 miles on him
You need to get out for some weekend trips long before you leave for Sturgis, you will learn everything you need to know about each other by August.. One thing you all have to do is be honest with each other before you leave...Hope you have fun, say Hi to me when you go through Iowa..

Old 03-08-2006 | 02:04 AM
itsahog
Cruiser

If your schedule absolutely demands your back, then trailer the bikes. You will without doubt experience some bad weather someplace, and most likely someone will have some sort of bike trouble. Even minor trouble is major problems on a tight time frame. I have been on long trips like this and expecting zero problems is unlikely. A trailer will not only give you the rest you need, but will also give you the insurance of trailering a wounded bike. One small piece of gravel that takes out a drive belt will put you down for the day. With a trailer you load it up and no problem. It also provides shelter or a bed if needed. Only way I would go on a trip of that caliber is if time was no issue. One small problem and you ruin the entire trip. JMHO.

Old 03-08-2006 | 03:02 AM
buttman
Road Master

I did a 5400 mile trip in 2 weeks in June of 05 with a friend and had no issues. I did a 4500 mile solo trip in 2 weeks in August of 04 and had no issues. It was on a new bike though. So, older bikes, depending on what shape they are in, maybe a chase vehicle is a good idea.

My advice would be to spend 3 days getting there and 7 days getting home. It's easier doing the big mileage days in the first part of a trip.

Old 03-08-2006 | 03:18 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

I see where this is headed. I can see some pooch stuck driving the truck and trailer with the other three riding, refusing to take their turn at the wheel. All their gear in the trailer, ridin' free.....staying just out of range of the truck. Sucker!!!!

If it were me facing 1700 miles, I'd not want any more than 2 others at the most. I do a lot of my riding alone. I've pulled 800+ mile days in crap weather, so for me 400 mile days are a walk in the park, but the extra riders will have a real impact on you making good time. I suppose if you are all committed to racking up serious miles and are reasonably organized it could work, but frankly, I'm seein' a trailer in your future.

Old 03-08-2006 | 09:24 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior

The wife and I are planning on the same ride from NY to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. 1600 miles. We are doing 4 days out and 4 days back. Overnight in hotels in Sandusky OH, Madison WI, Sioux Falls, SD.

Our riding friends are trailering their bikes out there and we will meet up in Sioux Falls. Many will ride in the last leg with us.

I figure if we ride steady, we can do 250 miles or so before lunch each day. After lunch, we do another 150 or so and hit the hotel. I don't think it's any big deal, barring a serious breakdown, incident or blizzard.

Like they say, it's not the destination, it's the journey. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Old 03-08-2006 | 10:17 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I am near 60 and do 500 mile days back to back on most any trip I take. I have done as many as 650 miles.

I have never been to Sturgis that I didn't ride. Would I do a long trip like that again? I plan to this summer. Will be doing about 3,000 miles in a week or so, and that is just one trip that we have planned.

If your bikes are in good shape and there is little reason to worry about breakdowns, I see no reason to take a trailer. The ride is what it's all about.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-08-2006 | 11:13 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

either way, if anybody goin to sturgis needs a place to stay, my parents have a motel room they built behind my moms hair salon with 3 beds for $40 a night, I'm located about 30 miles a little south and east of Sioux Falls, SD

Quick Reply: bunch of guys riding to Sturgis