General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips to Buying a Brand New Motorcycle from a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:09 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Tips to Buying a Brand New Motorcycle from a dealer

ORIGINAL: bgkv77

ORIGINAL: swestbrook60

ORIGINAL: bgkv77

I smell something in here...and it's getting deep too. I used to be a pretty good salesman and I used to get a real kick out of those guys who really thought they were putting it on you. Working "our" system againts us. YEAH you got me!! I guess I will have to give you a "real deal".&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\; LOL
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
all this bs started by a spammer
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
So in your opinion a salesman should always screw the customer? And you wonder why you have earned the reputations as stealerships. I also find it interesting the quality of comments from those claiming to work for a dealer or are salesmen. With those attitudes I can understand why you "used" to be a salesman.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
My only point here is that there is plenty of educational materials available at any bookstore that will educate anyone on how to negotiate in thier best interest, simply to get the best deal they can for cars, bikes, boats, or anything. I'm sure salespeople get people all the time who think they are great negotiators but do not know a thing about it. Those who have negotiating skills do not haggle, go back and forth, spend days trying to get a deal....they learn on their own what a fair price is and offer that, then either accept the counter offer or walk. They also do not let dealers play the games of holding deposits, getting the keys to your trade-in, combining the purchase/trade-in/financing into one deal, playing the "I'll ask the sales manager" game, or any of the other sales gimmicks they use.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I am not saying I was out there to screw the customer, I have to make money on the sale, the dealer has to make money on the sale. None of us are are going to "give" you anything. The reason I "used" to be a salesman is, who really&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;wants to sell cars. there is no adventure in that. I also "used" to be an assistant golf pro and a truck driver.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I was reffering to "those guys" who come in there thinking&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;they are going to take something from&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;you.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Those are the ones the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;salesmen try to stick it to. I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;was about to pull the let me show you the invoice on the car routine and the guy says "I dont thinks so I brought a "real" invoice."&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;It was higher than the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;one I was going to show. He made&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;us an extra $1000. that was great. Being a salsman sucks. No matter what you do you are a jerk salsman. They gotta pay their bills too. Besides the salesman is just a shadow for the sales manager anyway. We can't do what he won't pass. You can get a better deal but don't act like you have the salesman by the *****. He will show you are wrong.
&nbsp\\;
I&nbsp\\;never claimed to be able to get such a low price from a dealer he lost money in the deal, that would be absurd. However there is always is a range of price the dealer will normally accept. My point was to educate yourself beforehand so you can get as close to the lowest price possible, and not be the guy paying top dollar. On cars the high end of the range would be the sticker price and the low end is usually kept secret from the customer, and if it is given by the salesman I wouldn't believe it. There are now several legit websites out there now where you can pay a small fee and get a copy of the dealers invoice showing the base price for the car and the amount charged to the dealer for every option on the car. These amount are always lower..the dealer never sells for less remember. One little note...on cars the Monroney sticker&nbsp\\;must stay affixed to the window by federal law until the car is sold, but a dealer can put whatever her wants on vehicles such as a truck. You cannot even be 100% sure of the MSRP on these types of vehicles.
&nbsp\\;
This is not a "I win/ you lose" game, this is a simple courtious business transaction that meets the needs of both parties. Both sides have to agree to the deal, or there is no deal. I was also trying to inform people of the sales strategies used by salesman. They usually are well trained in effective ways of leading a customer along the sales path and making them think they are getting a great deal. Is that bad? Not for the dealer and the salesman, it's thier job. Now as a customer, you can let them manipulate you or you can try to educate yourself so you can usually get a better deal than the uninfomred customer. Just ask how many of us have been "surprised" when sitting in the finance manager's office when he prints out the final contract and all the hidden charges show up, they automatically added life insurance, automatically add this and that....hoping your too excited over the purchase and afraid to cancel the deal...and you sign. Its happened to me in years gone by, I just will not let it happen again.
&nbsp\\;
In recent history you could not negotiate much on bikes simply because the supply was less than the demand. A dealer has no incentive to sell a bike at a reduced price when he is 100% sure he can sell it at full price. Today that is not the case, these bikes are not moving which is evident by the cut in production next year. Dealers in my area are so backed up with bikes they are advertising $1000 gift cards with&nbsp\\;some models. I saw one offering $2000 gift card if you bought one of thier '07 models. If he will take $1000 off, will he take off $1500? $1800? $2100? You only know if you do your homework, he isn't going to tell you. The dealer closet to my house has a 125 bike per month sales target, they sold 65 last month. You think they won't deal?
&nbsp\\;
You may like to stick it to guys like me, but you won't. If we can't reach an agreement in a few minutes on what I know is a fair price with you still making a decent profit, I will simply wish you the best and walk out the door and go down the street. I have bought my last 6 or 7 cars/trucks like this and got the price I knew I could get. I also have yet to pay MSRP for a bike either, although like I said there is less bargaining room with bikes....until now most likely.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I've sent out e-mails and talked face to face&nbsp\\;with a few of the dealers within 100 mile radius of me and all of them are still staying at MSRP + freight and prep...The one ***** said another $200 first service charge as well, when I questioned the first service charge he replied with something about voiding the warranty if the dealer didn't do it...Which is total bullshit and I knew it, I told him to put that statement in writing and he backed off...I'm a n00b to HD's but not motorcycling.....
&nbsp\\;
It kinda sucks after 23 years of sportbikes I'm finally ready for a big comfy Bagger and these dealers are really turning me off on the brand....rant over..

Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
ballpeen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TOTAL B.S. Thread...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Twitch
6th Gear

I was thinking that this thread had some pretty good pointers.&nbsp\\; Anything can help when you go in there about to throw down some serious cheese.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:08 PM
girlslikechef
Tourer
Thumbs down Wont See My Hard Earned Dollar...

Originally Posted by bluedyna
I work for an HD Dealer.
At our dealership,the price is the price.
no negotiation.
If you don't want it the next guy will.
I like it cause your next door neighbor got the same deal as you.
&nbsp\\;
I know cars don't work that way nor do Hondas,Yamys,Kawas,Zukis (they still have 05's in the box)
Harleys are different, never any leftovers.
As a matter of fact, Harley is going to cut production and raise prices.
Most dealers will go back to selling 1,000-2,500 over MSRP
Not another product like it in the world.
&nbsp\\;I love it when "Mr. Negotiator" comes in and asks, "What's your bottom dollar?"..it's on the sticker!
And I would Never Buy A bike From your Dealership...Thats not the American Way..Just what I think....

Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM
girlslikechef
Tourer

Good thread thou..Good reading ..I like it

Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=swestbrook60;3546610]&nbsp\\;
"...I also view customer service as a mean to generate sales, not sales as a means to generate service. If a dealer provides me with good service and always treats me in a professional manner, then its only logical that I will start my new bike shopping at that dealer. In fact, the last bike I bought was unplanned, my wife saw the make and color she had wanted while we stopped by for a part for my bike. We went back home, I did my research and went back and bought the bike. So it was the service and prices I got at the parts counter that got me into that dealership...which led to the sale of a new bike..."

I agree wholeheartedly. Customer service is what will bring in repeat customers.

HEY, EDMONTON HD / HERITAGE HD, ARE YOU LISTENING???? I still have a bone to pick with them after being told that "you didn't buy the bike here and we take care of our customers first." If you actually took bikes in trade and didn't insist everyone who walks through your door purchases new, I might have purchased from you. As it was, I wasn't willing to shell out the coin you wanted for a new scoot.

I bought from a dealer stateside who was willing to negotiate and had a decent selection of used rides. If the locals want my business, they have to treat me and my bike with respect. As it was, when I took it in for some repair work (after having booked it in to the service department 3 weeks in advance), they sat on it for over 2 weeks without even looking at it. When I complained, I was given the response listed above. It cemented the fact for me that I will never grace their doors with my money again.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment there....

Last edited by iceman336; 08-08-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 AM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best tip never ever buy from a dealer, in my state if you purchase from a dealer you get whacked w/ close to 10% sales tax. From a private party its around $28.00. I have always bought used new, it may take you a few weeks extra but you can usually find a current year bike for sale at a good price and if you look close enough extras like the extended warranty and some chrome. Even if you have the bike shipped to your self from another state your still way ahead of the game.....

Originally Posted by cc8074369
So either you now have the motorcycle bug which means you are upgrading to a bigger or different style Brand New Motorcycle and your off to spend your hard earned dollars or Credit money or outgrown that first second hand motorcycle you've had for a learner for your shiny new purchase, good for you!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

But you want some tips on how to get the best deal, or extra added freebies.
I'll start by presuming you know what bike you wish to purchase and the full purchase price from the local motorcycle dealer. I hope to help you get what you want for cheaper.

Never ever go in and purchase the motorcycle straight up, actually don't even look interested, take a few lesser smaller bikes for a test ride, all different styles makes and models, knowing your eye is on one particular.
After a few rides and even numerous visits to the store, get real interested in a smaller bike, then say "Hey, what\\;s the best price you can do on that one" (the one your interested in.

The Motorcycle store person will be pleased your now looking at a bigger purchase plus bigger profit for him, so he should immediately cut a few hundred dollars off for the potential upgrade.

You can typically count on 15%-20% markup.&nbsp\\; This will help you get a good haggling price range to start at.

Try not to purchase a brand new motorcycle in the first few months of the year when the newer models are just out, as you will not get much if any discount.

If you can wait until the end of the year (season) and you'll find the seller quite more willing to haggle over a cheaper price to get the motorcycle out the door to make way for the next years models to display.

Most motorcycle dealership have various fees, on road costs, registration etc etc and the like, always ask for the "out the door price" they sometimes will not caculate those fees into the cost saving you between $500 to a grand on your bill.

Make sure you've asked if that includes the 'SETUP FEE' as they may also include this, which basically means adjusting the footpegs, levers, suspension etc to suit you.

It doesn't hurt to do some research and see what other 'optional' extras you would end up buying anyway and ask for them at a discount price. Remember if you ask for more stuff, near the end of negotiatons, expect them to say they are going to need to adjust the price.

It's hard to do but never be too impatient and don't believe everything the seller tells you like, it's the last one, or 5 guys come in and where interested in this bike etc.

Once you have the offer, ask the motorcycle seller to give you a written quote, and just like buying a car walk out the door, you can always walk back in.&nbsp\\; This will now have given you your biggest bargaining tool, especially if sales are down and need to get rid of the bikes.

...read the full guide with pics here

Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swestbrook60
I have done this with cars, but never with bikes....if you happen to live in a large city or area with plenty of dealers, make them compete against each other. Elliminate the negotiation process all together. I suppose it would work here since there are at least 10 HD dealers within 100 miles of my house. On Mondy morning, call the sales manager at each dealer and tell him the exact bike you are looking for and would like him to fax you an out the door price for the bike by Friday. Let him know you are going to buy a bike on Friday from the dealer who offers the best deal. He can participate or not, but the odds are he will as he wants to sell a bike, even at a lower profit margin.

really??? didn't work for me at Mancuso's, San Jacinto or Stubbs..... each and everyone of them said: there's the MSRP. that's what you pay.... and all the BS about getting the make ready knocked off.... just BS with those guys.

oh, and this wasn't my first rodeo.....

Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This guy just posted some weird turn signal relocation thread in the sportster section something smells strange about this one.