General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips to Buying a Brand New Motorcycle from a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
stillwater
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tips to Buying a Brand New Motorcycle from a dealer

After talking to several people who purchased their bikes at the same dealer, it appears another of their tactics is&nbsp\\;to use&nbsp\\;a different salesperson to close the deal than the one you started with.&nbsp\\; One of the dealers in Vancouver tend to use a&nbsp\\;gal with quite a large chest.&nbsp\\; Just a little distracting[:-]

Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stillwater

After talking to several people who purchased their bikes at the same dealer, it appears another of their tactics is&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to use&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a different salesperson to close the deal than the one you started with.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; One of the dealers in Vancouver tend to use a&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;gal with quite a large chest.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Just a little distracting[:-]
&nbsp\\;
LMAO, that's a good one stillwater............and I really wish it worked. But I can honestly tell you, there is not a salesman that is going to let someone else close his deal. When it comes to commission, nobody would take the chance of someone else messing up the deal. Plus most customers wouldn't put up with it, they'd want the person they had been dealing with. I've been a saleman for 29 yrs and sold bikes for a good part of that, no one but me is closing&nbsp\\;my sale. Now, could I see them putting an attractive person in the Finance Dept........yep. But at that point, the sale&nbsp\\;is done anyways, then you wait and see if the person has the credit to buy the bike.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wbogley

ORIGINAL: swestbrook60

He can participate or not, but the odds are he will as he wants to sell a bike, even at a lower profit margin.
Dont count on this.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\; Harleys dealer alotment program gives all dealers a certain amount of bikes per year depending on many factors.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Lets say a dealer gets 1,000 new bikes per year.He will want to sell them for the most he can get.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Why would he want to sell under msrp when someone else will later pay msrp?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Once he is out of bikes, that is it...empty showroom no more to sell.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; As the eccomony has slowed some dealers are now willing to deal because they have more bike then they thought.

The big difference between HD vs Ford/GM/Toyota is the car companys stuff the channel.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; In other words, they are just going to keep on shipping cars to the dealer..so if&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the car&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;dealer&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;sells a bunch of cars at cost..no big deal, they will get more inventory they can sell.

Think about it. Have you ever been to a new car dealership that was almost sold out of cars?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I have seen HD dealerships with only a handful of bikes left to sell.
&nbsp\\;
Exactly......you must sell bikes, and if you don't, you use to

Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM
higg47
Road Master

When I go truck shopping I usually go out and kick a few tires on some Ranger pickups and when I have the salesmans attention I ask "what's the best you can do on the&nbsp\\;W900 Kenworth"? Show's em right away that I'm an educated consumer.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 PM
WireDawg
Road Master

ORIGINAL: swestbrook60

I have done this with cars, but never with bikes....if you happen to live in a large city or area with plenty of dealers, make them compete against each other. Elliminate the negotiation process all together. I suppose it would work here since there are at least 10 HD dealers within 100 miles of my house. On Mondy morning, call the sales manager at each dealer and tell him the exact bike you are looking for and would like him to fax you an out the door price for the bike by Friday. Let him know you are going to buy a bike on Friday from the dealer who offers the best deal. He can participate or not, but the odds are he will as he wants to sell a bike, even at a lower profit margin.
In addition to your ideas\\; I have found that dealing ONLY w/ a sales manager and/or owner is the way to go. Typically the floor sales people are not empowered to make ANY real decisions and are paid primarily on commission. A Sales Mngr typically is salaried.

BottomLine : EVERYTHING is negotiable !!!&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 PM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

don't be afaird to walk out. there are other dealers and other bikes...........

Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to do all my deals on the phone or in email.&nbsp\\; I can work over 10-15 dealers in a hour, some a few hundred miles away to see what they have and how low they can go.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can`t agree more i have 4 dealers in my 30 mile radius, and ended up 100 miles away in small town and saved 1500 bucks, plus got 10% better deal with free labor on all acceories bought in first 2 wks

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hduc2005

apply KY before going in to the stealership and something to bite down on&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; +1

Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 PM
bluedyna
6th Gear

I work for an HD Dealer.
At our dealership,the price is the price.
no negotiation.
If you don't want it the next guy will.
I like it cause your next door neighbor got the same deal as you.
&nbsp\\;
I know cars don't work that way nor do Hondas,Yamys,Kawas,Zukis (they still have 05's in the box)
Harleys are different, never any leftovers.
As a matter of fact, Harley is going to cut production and raise prices.
Most dealers will go back to selling 1,000-2,500 over MSRP
Not another product like it in the world.
&nbsp\\;I love it when "Mr. Negotiator" comes in and asks, "What's your bottom dollar?"..it's on the sticker!

Quick Reply: Tips to Buying a Brand New Motorcycle from a dealer