General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are windshields uncool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 AM
SuperBogs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are windshields uncool?

I see most bikes that are not touring models don't come with windshields but why so&nbsp\\;many refuse to install them after they buy the bike? I have ridden almost 30 years and have&nbsp\\;always had a windshield and can't imagine going on the highway any distance without one. Some guys with RoadKings even remove their windshields for a different look, that's cool if your just a city bar hopper but if you put any miles under your azz it must be&nbsp\\;really uncomfortable&nbsp\\;to do it without a windshield. What ya all think?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Why are windshields uncool?

It is all about trying to portray an image.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I, on the other hand prefer comfort.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first bought my scoot and started riding, I thought the air on my head and chest was unbearable at freeway speeds.&nbsp\\; I was really considering a windsheild, but didn't want to spend the dollars.&nbsp\\; Well, I ride the freeway everyday up to 75-80mph and have just gotten used to it.&nbsp\\; Does not even bother me anymore.&nbsp\\; The Sporty looks way better without one and now I can spend the dollars on something chrome.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

Why do you think your dog sticks his head out the window? Nothing like the wind in your face. If I wanted a shield I'd stay in my truck. Seriously though I have a Deluxe that I ride fom South Carolina to Fl. to as far away as Philadelphia and I opt for no shield. Now I'm not gonna tell ya that when I get caught in a downpour I would'nt enjoy the benefits of a windshield, but I enjoy that wind in my face. I've been riding 25+ years and never had one, probably never will. It is a matter of what you like, it's your bike, get what makes you happy. I personally don't think they are uncool, just like the breeze.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:34 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never given any thought to whether it's cool or not. Personally I like a windshield, but I know plenty of guys who ride a ton of miles and don't care for a windshield. Doesn't matter to me either way. I ride what I like and I've got a lot of better things to think about besides if someone else thinks I'm cool or not.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Nitram_b4
Advanced

non-touring models look dorky with windshields...IMHO...if I want a windshield I will get a Glide

Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Who ever said winshields aren't cool.Of course they are on a bagger,they belong there, especially if that is what the owner wants.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

around here you see more and more bikes with than with out. i have a low-profile on mine i still get the wind. but it helps with the bugs.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:45 AM
GuessWhoFan
Intermediate

It's a matter of form vs. function.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
FORM
One of the big reasons I "upgraded" from an EG to a RK was its "convertable" nature (e.g. removable wind shield).&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;IMHO, a RK with hard bags and no wind screen is about a beautiful as a motorcycle gets.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
FUNCTION
In fact, I find myself&nbsp\\;leaving the wind shield on as often as not, especially when&nbsp\\;planning to do some extensived highway riding.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I'm all for the "wind in the face" thing, but I'm also for a little more comfort since I've turned the corner on 50 years old.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Never, never had anyone call me or my Heritage uncool because it has a windshield.

Quick Reply: Why are windshields uncool?